Comet Macbook Pro Second Hand?

Phil3345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I bought A macbook pro from comet on 23rd september 2010.I took it home opened the box and started using it.I thought it got too hot when I say hot id left it on overnight analysing files in the morning when my partner got up she had to turn it off because it was too hot to touch so called the shop.They told me I had 3 options.I could bring it back in for them to look at it take it to the apple store in Cardiff or ring apple care.They told me there was nothing to worry about and it would probably be best to call apple.

I did that and they checked a few things with me and told me there was no problem and it would be ok.I use the mac to dj mostly in my studio because i dont trust it to work on the road.On december 7th it crashed so I called applecare and the same result.I have had over 14 different crashes saved as logs which and have called on most of them,I have also been up to Cardiff on 4 occasions tho i can only prove 3 of them and its a 95 mile round trip.Again they told me nothing was wrong yet it kept crashing.The last visit to the store in cardiff in january the genius put a fan controller on the mac so it now runs cooly.After the last visit It crashed again but this time the applecare guy toom me through erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the os.The difference was incredible everything loaded quicker runs cooler and was like a different machine.It still wont do what i need it to do but it gets better.When I was in cardiff the genius said I will be ok with it till july 2011 I laughed and said i have a receipt with the september date on it.I didn't really think much of it but I spoke to trading standard a few times and on the last call i mentioned it and was told it might have been a second hand machine.

I spoke to apple and they confirmed that the machine had been registered on july 31 2010 and also on the web it says my warranty runs out july 30 2011.I spoke to comet and after a few calls the manager assure me that it was impossible for that to happen and he told me he could trace the mac back to april of 2010.After a few checks on the apple site he was correct the machine was made 14 april 2010.I have escalated it with comet but no luck the position is there is no way that could happen yet I have the mac and the proof.

In all the calls and visits whether apple or comet everyone has been courteous and as helpful as possible but never the less im stuck.Trading standards will take them to court

Phil

Edited by Phil3345

Guest Comet Response
Hi All

I bought A macbook pro from comet on 23rd september 2010.I took it home opened the box and started using it.I thought it got too hot when I say hot id left it on overnight analysing files in the morning when my partner got up she had to turn it off because it was too hot to touch so called the shop.They told me I had 3 options.I could bring it back in for them to look at it take it to the apple store in Cardiff or ring apple care.They told me there was nothing to worry about and it would probably be best to call apple.

I did that and they checked a few things with me and told me there was no problem and it would be ok.I use the mac to dj mostly in my studio because i dont trust it to work on the road.On december 7th it crashed so I called applecare and the same result.I have had over 14 different crashes saved as logs which and have called on most of them,I have also been up to Cardiff on 4 occasions tho i can only prove 3 of them and its a 95 mile round trip.Again they told me nothing was wrong yet it kept crashing.The last visit to the store in cardiff in january the genius put a fan controller on the mac so it now runs cooly.After the last visit It crashed again but this time the applecare guy toom me through erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the os.The difference was incredible everything loaded quicker runs cooler and was like a different machine.It still wont do what i need it to do but it gets better.When I was in cardiff the genius said I will be ok with it till july 2011 I laughed and said i have a receipt with the september date on it.I didn't really think much of it but I spoke to trading standard a few times and on the last call i mentioned it and was told it might have been a second hand machine.

I spoke to apple and they confirmed that the machine had been registered on july 31 2010 and also on the web it says my warranty runs out july 30 2011.I spoke to comet and after a few calls the manager assure me that it was impossible for that to happen and he told me he could trace the mac back to april of 2010.After a few checks on the apple site he was correct the machine was made 14 april 2010.I have escalated it with comet but no luck the position is there is no way that could happen yet I have the mac and the proof.

In all the calls and visits whether apple or comet everyone has been courteous and as helpful as possible but never the less im stuck.Trading standards will take them to court

Phil

Hi Phil3345,

I have continued to monitor the situation, and I am aware that a colleague from our e-mail team has since responded to you.

On contacting the manufacturer directly, it would appear that there has been some confusion regarding the date of purchase, as the date you were previously given (31 July 2010) is actually the date that we purchased the macbook from the supplier.

This does not however mean that your macbook was previously owned, which Apple have confirmed based on the serial number of your particular unit.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Matt from Comet

Hi Matt.

Thanks for the reply.im still not happy when I found out about the dates I was told by Comet if I could prove that the mac was already sold it would be exchanged even tho ive got an email from comet stating that you'd spoken to apple and accepted that it was bought on 31 july 2010.I could not prove it because of the data protection act tho Apple did give me part of the name in december and I can assure you it was not Comet and now im expected to trust comets word on the fact that they bought it on that date.I want to see the documentation to prove it as I dont believe it.

I have had numerous problems with the mac after speaking to apple researching on the web and a very lengthy conversation with the apple expert in Comet swansea who convinced me that the mac was almost uncrashable.I have had over 14 crashes between september2010 and january 2011.I bought the mac with a specific purpose in mind again explained at time of purchase and was told that musicians and dj's use the machine because of it's stability,I know that it was a fact again because of the research id done previously.I would like to say its the dj software causing the crashes but its crashed when ive been browsing the web at home.All thats on the mac is the dj software and original software.Apple have looked at it and can find nothing wrong with it but again over 14 crash logs will tell a different story.After I write this response my next job is the local press and trading standards as im getting nowhere.The best bit is Comet have wiped my account so I cant go back and print the replies ive had back so glad ive saved everything all the communication from Comet and Apple.

Thanks

Phil

Just a quick add.

This is an article from a newspaper a few years ago.Thats my job tomorrow searching for more like this

search the guardian .co .uk or google it there's an article similar to my tale.cant post link as i havent made enough posts lol

Phil, download this neat recovery program from Piriform (Ccleaner makers) and see if you can come up with anything, picture/music/document etc which can confirm that it was used before you owned it.

A clever ploy getting your to reinstall windows, but it doesn't erase what was on there before.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva