fridge doesnt work

lullaby3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

I just bought myself the Samsung RS. Was a good deal and it worked well so far but for some reason it stopped now completely. I came home yetserday and it was totally warm inside. Of course I looked at the plugs but all seemed fine. I called the customer care helpline and waited for so long and when I finally got to speak to someone I was told to have a look at it again and that the fridge seems to be ok. Now, I know I dont know much about technology but it is certainly not ok when the fridge istnt cold anymore. Do you have any ideas what could have gone wrong or what I can do to make it work again? It was rather expensive for me and I hate to get someone in to fix it.

Thanks so much for any help!

It depends how long you've had it...but here is my two penneth...

I say if its less tan 6 months then the fridge is not fit for purpose and they have to pick it up and replace it as soon as possible and at no cost to yourself...

You have up to 6 years to bring a claim in England ....I think its 5 in Scotland...

when you write to them via e-mail or letter (recorded delivery) you would probably do well to say something like this...

Dear Sir or Madam ....give them details of you and your problem...place and date were you bought it mention you have already rang (give dates and times) and got fobbed off so I am now writing under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as ammended) and you would like them to either pick up/repair and/or replace said dodgey fridge within the nezt 14 days at no cost to yourself or issue you with a refund ....(this ammount will be reduced usually (because of the use you have had) but you can always haggle this price if you want a higher refund...keep sending them letters and emails and eventually the re-fund price (if you want one) will rise as a judge would not take kindly to the fact that you have tried to solve the matter and this company has ignored you.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is crucial for consumers because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.

The Sale of Goods Act lays down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet.

The goods must be:

As described refers to any advert or verbal description made by the trader.

Satisfactory quality covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it doesn't give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

Fit for purpose covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If you buy something which doesn't meet these conditions, you have the potential right to return it, get a full refund, and if it will cost you more to buy similar goods elsewhere, compensation (to cover the extra cost) too.

Note, however, that the right to reject goods and get a full refund only lasts for a relatively short time after which a buyer is deemed to have 'accepted' goods. This doesn't mean that the buyer has no legal redress against the seller, just that he/she isn't entitled to a full refund.

Instead a buyer is first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced. If these remedies are inappropriate, then you're entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last six months don't, it'll be presumed that the goods didn't conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the seller can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it's for the consumer to prove their own case (that is, that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult the longer you've had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years in England (Ithink it is 5 in Scotland) from the time they buy something in which to make a claim, irrespective of how long the goods actually last.

There is of course your home insurance which may also cover the fridge and the food inside that would have gone off....you could also mention theis should it come to making a claim...(frozen lobster is very expensive these days for example...so this is also something to consider) lol

Basically be as polite and as professional as possible on the phone but let them know you are serious and you know your rights......hope this helps and keep cool .....(sorry bad joke)

Angela:-D

• 1 month later...

also thought I would add if you paid for any product on your credit card you also have protection from this under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

(1) If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or © has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor.

Therefore this another avenue to explore for a refund....hope this helps

Angela

how old is the fridge?

you first port of call is the RETAILER where you brought it - under SOGA.

outside of 6mts it will be a repair

the produce should last a 'resonable period'

for a fridge i'd expect 3-4yrs.

moved to the retail forum.

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi lullaby

i have a samsung fridge freezer. they are a nightmare. the backpanel of the freeezer keeps freezing solid on mine. if you defrost it everything works fine for a while!!. go back to where you bought it. do not even try to contact samsung.