Help needed please - Council Tax Baliff charges for not visiting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4858 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right - I will get on it.

The bloody nerve of them. can anyone tell me if this is their normal response to requests such as these?

About par for the course with bailiffs, however do not despair, there is plenty of good help and advice on here.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

If you sent off for the breakdown as Post 3 then in my opinion they are being obstructive in their demands. You should send them an email asking what in particular they see as information that is subject to a fee.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will need to write back and point out it was for breakdown of the charges and not a SAR, enclose again a copy of the original that you sent. It would appear that whoever read the initial request only looked at 3 words that it contained. I would also point out that if they are going to refuse your request you will put in a formal complaint to the Council about them being obstructive for asking for a legitimate request. Again send by email and post.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

have also sent an email to a certain CEO at BCC, telling him that this sort of treatment is an outrage and that Equita need to be regulated by their employers.... who are BCC and who pays them...... erm.... we do!

not yet, thats the next thing, I not too suure who it is, but I not letting it go.

I have a mind to go to th local press, BCC treat the people of Birmingham like this when last week, I was reading a news paper that hghlighted the the council are spending thousands and thousands of pounds on taxi's!!!! it makes me cross when I am an honest hard working person tying my best to get by. and bully boys employed by the council are allowed to get away with it.

You should be able to find out who your local Councillor is by looking at their website - it should have a list. Alternatively you could contact anyone on that list and they should steer you in the right direction or ring the Council in the morning and ask.

If you do engage your Councillor get him/her to visit and show them this site. If they refuse or are reluctant to help then I would then get on to the Leader of the Council and/or the Leader of the party your Councillor represents. In my view as they asked for public office you should be able to contact them 7 days a week up until approx 9pm.

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been onto the web site and done some local research, I have sent an email along with the attachments that I sent to the CE of Birmingham city council today, lets see what happens tomorrow.

I will be sending another email enclosing an invoice stating that I charge £25 per letter and thus far that means they owe me a further £50!! lets see how they like it!

hi there i can answer allof your questions;

1 - how much the Liability Order was for £849

2 - how much the Bailiff has charged you to date £157

3 - how much you have actually paid the Bailiff £306.23

1 - how much the Liability Order was for £849

2 - how much is still outstanding - if you know how much you have paid the Bailiff the difference may be revealing £0 paid the bailiff an extra £157

3 - what period of time the LO covers Feb 2009 - Feb 2010

4 - the date they passed it to the Bailiff 4 Jan 2011

there were 2 payments left of £70 and he charged us £157 for taking the payments over phone. we are so sooooo cross, no he has not visited and no he had not levied goods, my husband made calls to him as the account was passed too him the minute Equita's office opened yesterday morning. i am considering making a complaint to the courts. we got nothing to lose and as he was agessive and threatening why shouldnt we?

These guys make me SICK -- there is NO MECHANISM that allows them to charge EXTRA for payments made over the phone.

ALL THEY ARE ALLOWED IS FOR IST AND SECOND VISIT FEES in total around 48 GBP. Other fees such as Van fees, waiting time etc etc are 100% ILLEGAL PROVIDED YOU HAVE NOT LET THE SCUMBAGS IN.

PLEASE ALL CAGGERS NEVER EVER LET BAILIFF'S INTO YOUR PROPERTY FOR COUNCIL TAX.

IF PEOPLE JUST OBSERVED THIS SIMPLE RULE THE WHOLE SORRY BUSINESS WOULD BE ENDED

and we could celebrate the demise of such despiccable organisations such as Rossendales etc.

Cheers

jimbo

wish we had the hindsight we have now. we are trying to get back the £157 charge that he made us pay - for not coming around to sort us out! we not holding our breath and reckon thats the last that we see of that money :-(

wish we had the hindsight we have now. we are trying to get back the £157 charge that he made us pay - for not coming around to sort us out! we not holding our breath and reckon thats the last that we see of that money :-(

Hi there

In any case report this to the Council -- they ARE responsible for the actions of their agents (The Bailiff Company). Report also to the Local Govt Ombudsman -- these people DO have teeth --the Council MUST reply to them and explain what procedures are in place to stop this happenning again.

Note: PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT the usual platitude from the Council's Call centre when you get some ignoramus saying "We have no control over the Bailiff company's internal charges / procedures". This is totally a load of "LITTLE ROUND OBJECTS" as the Council - like any other organisation --including YOU BTW if you hire external people for carrying out work - -- is responsible for the actions of their Contractors / external agencies.

I agree 157 GBP is an expensive learning curve but at least you won't ever get stung with this again.

Cheers

jimbo

Hello to whom ever is reading this!!

I have had a response from the Head of Revenues and he certainly speaks 'bailiff' language, his response to our complaint appears to have fallen on deaf ears and by the looks of it have fully endorsed Equita. I have pasted the letter below and would appreciate any comments on how to take this forward.

I refer to your e-mail of 20 January 2011 regarding the recovery action taken by Equita in respect of your Council Tax account. Your enquiry has been passed to me by the Chief Executive to investigate on his behalf and I can advise you as follows.

Summary of Fees Applied by Equita

As requested, we contacted Equita on your behalf on 28 January 2011. They have confirmed that they added the following fees to your account as a result of the recovery action taken in pursuit of your outstanding Council Tax account which was passed to them for collection:

Amount of Fee

Description

£27.00

Levy

£42.50

1st and 2nd Visits

£130.00

Use of Vehicle

£199.50

Total

Equita confirm that your payment of £207.73, made to them on 5 January 2011, has cleared your account for the 2009/10 financial year in full. We received the sum of £149.73 from them on 21 January 2011, which was net of the last of their required fees.

This is such a joke and any help would be appreciated

Wisingup