Is a TV licence required for watching TV outside the UK?

olewh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would say yes you do. Same as if you do not watch the BBC you still need a license.

Personally I have never brought a license in my life and don't ever intend to but if you want to do as the man says then yes you will need one.

Yes. It doesn't matter WHAT you watch, but the 'installation of a TV receiver capable of dislaying licenced broadcasts'. So, although you may not be watching UK channels, you need a licence to received anything. Remove the tuner from the TV and no licence is required. Of course, that means you'll not get RTE or TV3 either!

Hi Buzby, you have a quote in your message - 'installation of a TV receiver capable of displaying licenced broadcasts'. Can you tell me where you got that quote from.

On the TV licensing website it says "you do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console". This contradict that advice

The TV licensing website is working on an interpretation of the Act of Parliament, as is their leaflets, letters and statements.

They are NOT the arbiters of what is or can be legal or illegal. For this, you need to turn to the Communnications Act 2002, which is the sole defining legislation when it comes to defining criminal guilt, as it is this the judge will use for his deliberations, not a TVL leaflet.

Whilst some may find it conflicting that the TVL are providing interpretations that are not enshrined in Law, they will argue that their only aim is to clarify the situation. This is fine as far as it goes, however, it still has no basis in Law, and the pursuit of non licence holders with an expectation of guilt simply because no licence exists is testament to this.

Because no other agency will attempt to prosecute you, there is a slight relief - but only ig you realise the Law says different, and until the Act of Parliament is modified or changed, the risk remains.

Incidentally, you might want to argue you should pay for the Irish TV licence - fine, but you'll be on shaky ground believing you don't need any!

It sounds like the OP must be in Northern Ireland, if he is getting all the irish channels.

Do Licence "enforcement" officers visit addresses in Northern Ireland, did they go the same way as the institution of Bailiff in the province? I would have thought, that if certified Bailiff's were being issued with rather more literal "warrants of execution" from the IRA :D, as "Officers of the Crown" then TVL chaps would be too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It sounds like the OP must be in Northern Ireland, if he is getting all the irish channels.

Here's a clue - im fixed on two masts - one slightly north of Dublin, the other south !