Where do I stand with a 2 year old broken Fridge/Freezer from Comet

sophieb1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

after the recognised 'exchange' period [normally 28days] typically most retailers will require you to get and pay for an inspection.
that's not right, sorry. Within 6 months of purchase, the goods are deemed inherently faulty when they fail and it's up to the retailer to arrange inspection etc if they want to contest the inherently faulty argument. After 6 months, the burden of proof reverses back to the consumer and the retailer can then demand that the consumer pay for the report (and they'll reimburse if goods turn out that they were faulty)

Also to point out that the "28 days" is absolutely not mentioned in SOGA and it is a mistake to put a firm deadline on any time for rejection of goods. The only thing SOGA mentions is "reasonable", and that can vary wildly from goods to goods of course. I dislike the way people who really should know better (Consumer Direct springs to mind) are trying to quantify what is a reasonable time, it's where that whole 28 days comes from, but it is completely false, except that if C/direct themselves are giving wrong information, how are consumers ever going toget better informed? :-(

DX is of course correct that SOGA doesn't specify how long goods should last, people tend to confuse rights under SOGA and how long people have a recourse for, and that is the Limitations Act 1980, with the 6 yrs (5 in Scotland) limit. Bear in mind however that that clock starts ticking from when the cause for recourse starts (ie when goods first fail, or if the retailer drags things on, it could be argued that the clock starts ticking once the consumer realises that the retailer is denying them recourse), not from the time of purchase.

yep. the goods might well be deemed inherently faulty pre 6mts, however, it makes little diff, unless the manu acks that that is indeed true, it will not auto result in a refund/replacement.

if/if not the consumer needs to pay for an inspection, eitherway gets refunded too.

as for the 28 days , no its not in soga and i hope i didnt imply that, i think its actually a company policy of your ex company!

certainly read that on here!

good post

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...