Harveys Sofa

LNT999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, new to this forum, looks great for advice etc.

Anyway, ordered a reclining sofa in May, and was informed the usual 12 weeks delivery. Paid £1044 upfront. Didn't have a problem with that as other stuff from Harveys was actually ok.

Sofa arrived on 29th July and was faulty. Not as good as shop display one, crushed at one side, big gap between seats etc, so it was refused and went back. Delivery men said they'd had problems with 3 other sofas that day, which was why it was 8.55pm when they arrived.

Went into store following day asking for refund, was refused saying they wanted to examine it first. Stroppy female store manager no use whatsoever. Letter sent to Managing Director at head office marked Private and Confidential sent. Also handed similar letter to manager of store. Both basically outlined faults and requested refund within 7 days or legal action would be taken. Received letter from head office by return saying I would hear back within 48 hours. Heard no further from head office. Then received letter from customer service saying when "Homeserve" report was received I would receive refund, obviously if they agreed it was faulty! Heard nothing further for 3 weeks so sent another letter to MD requesting refund by return of post or legal action would be taken. received no reply to that, so went to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk to issue summons for the £1044 plus court costs of £120 plus another £50 for fuel, correspondence and inconvenience. Received notice from court saying Harveys were contesting the whole amount!! What I don't understand is why they are contesting the whole amount, when they have my money and I have no sofa!! I can't wait to go to court and make sure I ask the judge for extra seeing as they have no case whatsoever to contest the whole amount.

So here's the question. In your dealings with the small claims procedure, who has actually attended the court, and what have the judges been like, and can you cop for any more than you originally claimed, based on the fact that you've been subjectd to more inconvenience etc?

Depending on the judges mood and where the hearing is you can ask for travel costs, accomodation (if its away from where you live) and food costs. Its probably and automatic response to contest it to give their legal department a little longer to look at the case. They may well settle before court. Good luck.

For the record, Harveys botched my wardrobe delivery earlier in the year and I eventually got it delivered 3 months after it should have been.

When we opened one package, it was badly damaged, so we were left with loads of flat-packs which we couldn't put together until a replacement arrived.

When we finally got through to customer services, were told that a new one would have to be ordered, there were no others in stock anywhere. So, another 12 weeks to wait (that is, IF it was delivered on time this time). That would have been 9 months in total from ordering and paying for it online.

Asked to speak to supervisor, was told she didn't speak to members of the public, to put my complaint in writing.

Loathe to do it, I got my daughter on the case - she works in the magazine industry. She got on to their press office and lo and behold, a new package arrived the next day!

It had obviously been taken from some other poor sod's order. Wonder how long it took him to get a replacement?

and no, I will never be buying anything from Harvey's again, nor will anyone I have told this to.

TRY USING THE CONSUMER GUYS FROM MAGAZINES OR NEWSPAPERS - THEY HAVE MORE CLOUT THAN JOE PUBLIC AND I KNOW FROM WHAT MY DAUGHTER TELLS ME THAT THEY ARE OFTEN KEEN TO TAKE UP CASES.

GOOD LUCK!

I do know a couple of people who work for the local newspaper so I might email them to see if they're interested. I'll also see what happens at the small claims court. One thing's for sure, since 29th July to have no refund is totally unacceptable!

can you cop for any more than you originally claimed, based on the fact that you've been subjectd to more inconvenience etc?

No. The Small Claims system is meant to give you back what you're owed, plus 8% interest (on the grounds that your money could have been earning you interest while they have it), not award you extra.

In some circumstances, you could be compensated for extreme distress, but we're talking of medical depression, certifed by drs etc... I doubt very much that a damaged couch would be a valid reason.

~*~ Please click the scales if you liked my post! ;-) ~*~

Thanks. I was rather thinking more in terms of having not claimed the interest originally, and indicating that on the form, to change my mind and claim it seeing as they're being totally unreasonable in trying to defend the whole amount.

They have my money, I have no sofa, any fool can know that there's no way they can win, so they're simply wasting everyone's time, which is why I thought I might get to claim the interest despite not claiming it first.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, sorry I have only just seen your post but we had a problem with Harveys some 3 years ago, having had some furniture from them no problem, ordered a dining room table and six chairs, got to choose the seat colours - order didn't arrive after three months, chased it up and table and chairs delivered but with wrong colour seat covers, no probs said the store,we will order them in and then change them over, then the top of the table started peeling off and their technician came and looked at it and pronounced it a fault of manufacture but every time I phoned to ask for removal of furniture and refund, no-one around to talk to, on one memorable occasion I was told that all the managers were out on the road having contacted head office, so we took lots of photos of the offending items and took them to court. They didn't turn up, the case was proved against them but it took a visit from the baliffs to one of their stores to get the money out of them - it is still worth all the hassle as why should they get away with cheating and ripping people off! Good luck, get all the evidence written down prior to the case, copies for you and judge, you will find they will give you lots of help.

Thanks for that. Well the good news is that Harvey's have now admitted everything, refunded my sofa cost and delivery charge, and also sent a cheque for the court fees and other expenses I claimed. So I end up about £50 up on the deal, which is probably about right when you consider interest from May, and postage and visits to the store.

Money claim online is certainly really easy to do, and got me the result, albeit it took until late last week for it to be finally resolved. Having said that, pretty much sorted within 2 months is fairly good I think.

WELL DONE LNT 999!!

Have spent the last couple of years in tears because of appalling treatment from places like Harveys, Cargo, etc. Unbelieveable the tricks they get up to - and the profit they make from unsuspecting, naive idiots like me. Thank heavens for the solidarity of this site. It reinvigorates me every time I visit. Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted in the end.

• 6 months later...

do you have a template of the wording you used as my friend is having terrible trouble with a faulty leather sofa from the "furniture discount warehouse". i've said i'll help her get her money back as it's faded to orange and one side of a chair has collapsed. she's complained dozens of times but they're ignoring her! gits...

Me v NatWest £1.5k settled after Disc App

Jo v Barclaycard settled after Disc App

Jo v Cap 1 settled after Disc App

Jo v Abbey Disc App sent to court

Jo v Natwest cag3 let due

Nikkii v Barclays judgement in default against Barclays

Nikkii v B’card directions returned

Nikkii v Natwest settled

Laura v Lloyds – directions & aq sent

Luke v Lloyds – AQ & directions sent to court

Mark v Halifax – settled

Liam v A&L settled

Liam v Lloyds part settled - still going

Vanya v RBOS, CAG 3 let sent

Vanya v RBOS Awaiting statements

Vanya v Virgin issue on 30/03

Carl v Natwest settled

Dean v Barclays – disc app issued

Dean v B’card – disc app issued

Dean v Cap 1 – awaiting statements

(another 5 files that won't fit) busy me!

I'm afraid I don't have it anymore, but if you send me a pm with your email, I'll email you and you can send me the details and I'll draft a letter for you if you like?

• 2 years later...