'Find My iPhone' Protection?

buzby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4960 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a neat little App that is part of the Apple 'Mobile Me' Suite - but as I discovered to my cost, it has one massive failling that is so easy to circumvent, that is not pointed out (no doubt for reasons that will become obvious).

Having subscribed to the service, I discovered my iPhone gone, it had either fallen out my pocket or been pick-pocketed, I wasn't sure which. Within 40 minutes of noticing it gone. I tried to geolocate it, only to be told that there was 'No Location Available'. Although Apple tells you your phone needs to be active on a mobile or WiFi network, what ISN'T said, is that the service does not pro-actively monitor the whereabouts of your device. If you happen to do a Mobile Me location 'fix' up to an hour before loss, then in those 60 minutes that location will be recalled, showing the time it was valid at.

If like me, you didn't do a 'fix', discovered it missing, and the thief has the presence of mind TO TURN THE PHONE OFF. then anything else you do will be for nothing - you cannot get a location fix, nor can you send a remote message or sound, and most importantly, cannot perform a 'remote wipe' of the data contained within.

I'd suggest a warning label 'loss tracking can be subverted by turning the iPhone off' should be in BIG letters on the service FAQ.

You have been warned!