Severe Disability Premium

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information, regarding a single person's eligibility to the Severe Disability Premium.

The DirectGov website states the following:-

"If you are single, you may get the lower rate premium if you live alone, no one gets Carer's Allowance for looking after you and you get the middle or highest care component of Disability Living Allowance".

Is one still eligible for the lower rate premium if all the above applies, apart from living alone?

Many thanks

I would say no, seeing what you have posted from the DIrectGov site, it seems quite clear that it's only if you get middle or high. Presumable because if you're on low, it means your disability is not deemed "severe", so no entitlement. IMO.

Hi Bookworm, thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, I don't think I made myself clear. Is one eligible for SDP if they are single, in receipt of middle rate care and lower rate mobility and nobody claims carers allowance for them. The only difference to the DirectGov criteria is that they do not live alone. They live with their carer who works part time and is not eligible to claim carers allowance because they earn a little over a £100 pw.

Many thanks

Hi I believe that you get the severe disability premium due to living alone I was informed by someone at DWP (this was in 2001) that you got the premium to help pay for extras that someone living with others would not require. Not 100% sure but it seems to ring a bell.

dpick

I can confirm that you only get the SDP if you live alone - I didn't qualify because my son was living with me and couldn't claim carer's allowance because he worked full time.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Hi don't take this as gospel but to my mind if you are not dependent or connected with this other person ie you both have a separate tenancy then you should be classed as single.

dpick

I know this is from 2010, however should anyone like me want to know the answer to this question, to save you time looking for it here it is...

Other people living in your household

For the purposes of severe disability premium your HB/CTB is not affected if other people living with you are:

children

or aged 16-17

or a person who is registered blind (if a person regains their sight, they are treated as blind for a period of 28 weeks after they cease to be registered blind)

or receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the highest or middle rate, or Attendance Allowance (AA)

or people caring for you who are employed by a charity that makes a charge for this service

or landlords/ladies and their partners

or co-owners or co-tenants with you or your partner.

If you have a partner and one of you goes into hospital for more than four weeks, your DLA or AA will stop but you will continue to get the Severe Disability Premium, if you have already qualified for it, at the single rate.

I got this from the DWP website. I would have thought this would be the case seeing that tenants, landlords have no relation to you whatsoever and so should you experience any troubles they have absolutely no duty to help you, thus its as if you're living alone. In my case during University, due to depressions i always stayed in my room and never spoke to my flat'mates'. If i committed suicide they wouldn't have even known. The stench would've gave it away though... (sorry to be off putting but it's the truth), so yeah.

• 5 months later...

Hi there, just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me... I am a single mom with a ten year old and have been awarded low mobility and middle care DLA. Nobody is claiming carers allowance for me so I'm a little unsure how the whole SDP works in conjunction with DLA...Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please?

Hi there, just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me... I am a single mom with a ten year old and have been awarded low mobility and middle care DLA. Nobody is claiming carers allowance for me so I'm a little unsure how the whole SDP works in conjunction with DLA...Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please?

You need to getting mid rate care, classed as living alone (people under 18, people registered blind, those on mid or high rate care DLA and Attendance Allowance are ignored) and no-one claims carers allowance for you. SDP needs to be applied for. If you currently receive any out of work benefits, you need to phone the relevant department and ask them for a form to fill in.