About to pay off Bank of Scotland mortgage - do I claim for repayment of charges before or after I repay?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are just about to pay off a Bank of Scotland mortgage we've had for the past seven years (yeah, almost mortgage free!) I've been going through some old annual statements and found several hundred pounds of late payment fees (default letters) at £35 a letter. They also have levelled an early redemption fee if we pay the mortgage off.

Is it best to claim these back whilst we still have the mortgage or wait until the balance is cleared. Can we force them to not charge the early redemption fee, *before* they actually charge it?

Regards,

Jason.

Hi,

You can ask politely for the ERC back and see what they say. Regarding claiming this charge through the courts, definitely don't, as several people have ended up in court and lost, suffering £1000s in barrister costs in the process.

Regarding any other charges, wait till the mortgae is paid, then ask for them back. If they refuse, put a court claim in - they will waste 100s in legal costs then settle before you get to court.

BAE :)