Problems with DVD recorder from Bennetts....

kevb0444
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I got a Panasonic DMR E55 DVD recorder from Bennetts 2 just over 2 years ago. It went wrong once about a year ago and the work was covered by the guarantee but now it's gone wrong again (same problem) and was wondering if i could get them to do anything about it. Now i know they are gonna say they won't touch it as it has no guarantee left but i've heard differently. Also i can't seem to find the recept (i know!!!)...but i'm sure my details were kept on their files so was wondering if they would pull up a copy. It cost me about £250 when i got it and i thought at that price it should last longer than 2 years!!!

Thanks in advance

Kev

NatWest:

**£466.28 Settled In Full 21/08/06**

Halifax:

**Full settlement of £107.52 offerd and accepted 25/10/06**

GE Money:

**£48 settled In Full 19/09/06**

Barclays Bank:

**Full settlement of £90 offered and accepted on 24/10/06**

Alliance & Leicester:

**£170 Refunded In Full 17/09/07 (Charges due to bank error but still had to fight them for almost 3 weeks to get back)**

"Thin-de le'hasuan 'aloun'myin-del bpi-de gka-de hasou-de paya"

"Learn the gifts of all sights, or finish in the dance of the fallen gods."

Hi all...

To update things...Bennetts have the thing on their files. It was purchased on 28/07/04. I phoned the people who fixed it last time (a panasonic approved tech) and it was repaired in Feb'05. I asked them how much would cost to fix this time and they quoted around £200!!!!!

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

**£170 Refunded In Full 17/09/07 (Charges due to bank error but still had to fight them for almost 3 weeks to get back)**

Hi Kev,

Your player is out of manufacturers warranty, to be honest they are worthless any way as you have more right from the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

S.14 of SOGA states that goods must be of a reasonable durability, while it is not stated in the act how long this is it has been deemed that electrical goods such as a DVD player should last more than 4 years. It would be very easy to argue it should last longer than 2 years anyway.

I would write to them pointing out that the DVD player is unsatisfactory and that unless they repair or replace (the replacement doesn't have to be new in this instance) the item, or refund you (they can deduct a reasonable amount for wear and tear), you will pursue them to the small claims court.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Hmm...

Just contacted Bennetts and they say it's not their problem, told to phone Panasonic. Phoned them....they said i'd need to pay to have it inspected then they MIGHT pay a little towards repairs....was then told to speak to Bennetts again saying they should deal with it. Phoned them back and am waiting for a call back from a manager.

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

Ok...

Bennetts said they wanted the complaint in writing, which is fair, so wrote them a letter and just dropped it off instore...to the manager's surprise!!!:)

Also complained to Consumer Direct who have lodged the complaint.

Oh also i double checked the cost again with the repair people and they said the price quoted was just for the part and the total cost of repair would be £253 inc vat. Thats more than what i paid for the thing.

Oh well....

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

You don't need to talk to the manufacturor at all, you bought the goods from the store, therefore your contract is with them.

Everything else has pretty much been covered.

How much did you pay for it in the first place?

By the way. If it did get to court I couldnt see you getting more than 30% of the original price back...it wouldnt be unreasonable to sell a DVD Player that lasts 2-4 years.

Regards,

Tom3131

Before you take any legal action, please read through the

FAQ's, then if you dont understand something, please ask for advice ;) .

If theres a thread in which you think I could help, please PM me using the Private Messaging facility in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Advice & opinions of tom3131, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you ha

Hi Tom and thanks for the reply.

I paid £246.83 (i finaly found the old receipt)

It was on offer at the time....not that it makes much difference.

The thing is..it's a realy nice recorder (when it works) and i dout i'd get any thing near the same spec. It can record on DVD-RAM's (so you can watch and record like sky+), its got more in's and out's than you can shake a stick at, recordes up to 16 hours, has 5 different quality settings plus it has flexi recording.

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

Ok....

Bennetts called and said they want to take it in to see what needs fixing. They said if they couldn't repair it themsleves they would contact Panasonic....Thing is they didn't actualy say if they were going to charge me for any of this. I'll double check on monday...

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

WOW.....OMFG.....

I took the DVD recorder to Bennetts today and the manager took the unit off me. I told him that i was told to bring it in and he asked if i'd sent him a letter??? I said that i had and he went into his office and i could see him reading my letter. He was in there for ages, going over every line with his duty manager. He then called someone and read the letter to who ever was on the other end.

After about 5 mins on the phone he came back out and told me to follow him. We went over to the DVD recorder section of the store and he pointed at a £250 Panasonic DMR-EZ25. He asked me if i would accept it as a replacement for my old one...i said yes plz!!!!!!

He picked up a boxed one and took it over to the counter and went through and exchanged it (got a receipt for it) He even chucked in a pack of blank DVD's and and said he hoped it would bring the matter to a close and hoped i was happy with everything!!!!

OMFG!!!! I wasn't expecting that!!!

NatWest:

Halifax:

GE Money:

Barclays Bank:

Alliance & Leicester:

Well done M8 , It pays to stick to your guns..lol

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

I have already said it to Kev, but Congratulations and it shows that it doesn't take too much work to deal with these issues

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.