County Court Claim form received - Cabot ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a *WON IN COURT* thread after today but for some reason, I can't seem to get to page 18 :madgrin:

I'm a little the worse for wear but will try and post full details on Thursday night - it's been a very long day and I'm celebrating :roll:

Well done.

Thread title updated to reflect your win. ;)

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Excellent news.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

It can still happen even without Herr Maynard around! :whoo:

They never learn, brilliant news BO, you worked so hard on this one. It's been a long haul, but justice prevails again and again against this shower.

Excellent news, but please, the suspense is killing me :lol:

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So sorry to keep you all waiting, I know you love it really !

The case was actually dismissed at the Final Hearing :jaw:

Morgans/Cabot (or Cabeau as they were referred to by the usher and Judge, hence P1's ref above - I am reliably informed that it means "mutt" - that figures!) were given a very hard time by the Judge. He was obviously very much "up" on Consumer Law.

He tore into them from the very beginning about the heavily redacted "Account Supply Agreement" (Assignment) and asked where the original was. Morgans said that they may be able to find it somewhere and he said "so you don't know where it is then" and they replied that they may be able to lay their hands on it. He asked them by what law were they able to blank out so much of the document and they said that it was "Company Policy" to do that. When asked why, they said it was because there was "commercially sensitive information" on there. He wasn't pleased about that either and asked them, once again, by what law to which they admitted, there wasn't one. My name (in fact, nobody's name) appeared anywhere on the Assignment and mine was printed on a separate sheet which could have come from anywhere which he pointed out to them. There was a "Schedule" referred to in the Assignment which said that it was attached "hereto" - it wasn't. When he asked Morgans where this schedule was they said that they were sent the information on two "Data Discs" - he wasn't happy about that either as this information should've been available in document form and presented at the hearing.

He also wasn't happy that I had ever received a Notice of Assignment as they had no proof of this. Again, all they had was a photocopy of a template letter. He picked up on the fact that the OC's name was spelt incorrectly too (I'd missed that!).

He did touch on the Agreement but only briefly, just stating that one of the prescribed terms was incorrect (the repayments were out by pence) but didn't elaborate. He just kept going back to the heavily redacted Assignment.

Morgans pulled a few tricks before the hearing, the first one being a letter to me last Friday with a Claimant's Statement of Costs for £6,500 - no joke! I did have a little wobble on this as I had decided to go to the final hearing without anyone representing me. In some respects, I think that was a wise move.

When I got to the court, I was asked by the security guard if I wished to speak to the representative from Morgans and I said that I had taken legal advice and wouldn't be speaking to them. About ten minutes before the hearing was about to take place the security guard came to me and said that he had been given two documents to give to me by Morgans. They were two court cases, namely Wilson v Hurstanger (which I already knew about) and a little known Northern Irish case. I took a quick glance at the Irish one and just put it to the back of the Trial bundle.

There were no originals presented of anything, it was all photocopies.

When my claim was allocated to the SCC, this judge made Cabot amend their POCs twice. From the orders that he sent out, I could tell he was not a happy bunny. Unfortunately, at my preliminary hearing, I got a different judge who basically told me to just pay up and stop wasting the court's time.

I'm glad that it went to a final hearing and I got the original judge.

To be honest, I never got a chance to say hardly anything. All that work I'd put in swatting up! I think he had their cards marked before we got in there.

This was an eleven year old debt for a computer that never really worked right from the start. I did get ticked off by the judge for not mentioning the fact that it didn't work properly in my Defence but as it was so long ago, I wasn't sure it was relevant at the time and only brought it up at the preliminary hearing. I'd already paid half the amount to the finance company before losing my job and being unable to pay. Cabot had added at least half again in interest which was picked up on and they admitted their "error" and took the interest off, therefore halving the debt.

I did make an offer to stop it getting this far and they refused it. Bad move IMO.

So case dismissed, no costs awarded to either party. It really is "end of" so to speak. Only taken 12 months of pure stress!

I enquired about obtaining a transcript of the final hearing as to be honest, so much was said by the judge, I couldn't write it all down quick enough.

Just for info, if you require a transcript, if you ask the court, they will send you out a list of their recommended transcribers. You choose the one you want, fill in a form from the court, the court send the recording to the transcriber, they type it up and send it back to the court who get the judge to OK it, then it gets sent out to you. It's not cheap but if there are any of the CFC reading this, we could all chip in .........

I honestly think justice was done - I could've kissed that judge at the end :madgrin:

There are a few special people who have helped me through this. I don't need to thank them on here as I've already done that behind the scenes. You know who you are :wave:

GO BO, GO BO :whoo: