Is this government trying to ruin my life?

Mrmagoooo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Apologies if this seems like a moan but I thought I'd give people an insight into how this government affects people in my situation.

It seems as though everything this government announces affects me. I have been unfortunate enough to be on incapacity benefit for the last five years. I have decided to try and do some permitted work with the aim to try and get a job in the public sector. I am relatively well qualified, having got a reasonably good education both undergrad and postgrad. I am however, slightly concerned that by looking for this work I will be deemed 'fit for full time work' and shoved onto job seekers allowance, which going on my previous experience could prove quite disastrous for my health.

The private sector can be slightly cut throat, the public sector jobs I was looking at prior to this announcement to freeze public sector recruitment offered a bright future in jobs that seemed manageable and flexible.

I'm directly affected by the freeze on public sector recruitment, as when I start trying to look for some part time work, they stop recruiting people.

I've also been on the housing list in my area for the last six years and was hoping to finally obtain some secure housing, instead of relying on unreliable and hostile landlords in the private sector. I've never found these people willing to house me. Infact, to avoid homelessness over the last 5 years I've had to lie to most of my landlords and only got my last one because I used a guarantor.

The Tories have said they will change the rules on council housing. Anyone have any information as to how many points these people from other areas of the country are likely to receive?

Do not get me wrong. I am a single male with no assets, living on my own with some severe psychiatric problems. It is kinda inevitable that these cuts would affect me and I imagine many people will be much more worse off but it does seem as though I'm being abit hammered by them.

Edited by Mrmagoooo

Hi,

Apologies if this seems like a moan but I thought I'd give people an insight into how this government affects people in my situation.

Hi Mrmagoooo, welcome and thanks for joining the unofficial "ESA Club" where you'll find our circumstances have much in common with your own.

It seems as though everything this government announces affects me. I have been unfortunate enough to be on incapacity benefit for the last five years. I have decided to try and do some permitted work with the aim to try and get a job in the public sector. I am relatively well qualified, having got a reasonably good education both undergrad and postgrad. I am however, slightly concerned that by looking for this work I will be deemed 'fit for full time work' and shoved onto job seekers allowance, which going on my previous experience could prove quite disastrous for my health.

The private sector can be slightly cut throat, the public sector jobs I was looking at prior to this announcement to freeze public sector recruitment offered a bright future in jobs that seemed manageable and flexible.

I'm directly affected by the freeze on public sector recruitment, as when I start trying to look for some part time work, they stop recruiting people.

I'm on I.B. and wouldn't do anything which may potentially put this at risk given the current political and economic climate. Any willingness you have towards re-employment will be deliberately misconstrued by JCP as being "work ready" and consequently JSA fodder to be used by them to reduce benefit payment amounts. The additional 'pathways to work' financial help only lasts for 12 months after which you won't be subsidised labour any more so the economic reality is that you are liable to be moved onto JSA (or ESA w/ Atos sham biased to fail you medicals) @ pittance rate + the Kafkaesque nightmare of seemingly surreal and whimsically applied conditionality/sanctions/ then appeals et al. In a survey, around 3 out of 4 employers said that they wouldn't consider employing a candidate with disabilities or a mental health "history", why would they when there are so many "healthy" jobless, many of whom they will get for next to nothing via tax-payer funded private sector job brokerage schemes run by the likes of A4e, and as to working in the public sector - these jobs will be filled by the free labour on "Work for your benefits" compulsory (or lose your JSA) workfare.
I've also been on the housing list in my area in London for the last six years and was hoping to finally obtain some secure housing, instead of relying on unreliable and hostile landlords in the private sector. I've never found these people willing to house me. Infact, to avoid homelessness over the last 5 years I've had to lie to all my landlords and also on occasion use a guarantor.
Housing is a 'mare due to the "No DSS" or the euphemism "would suit professional person" in the ads, agencies won't have us and yet no-one has ever been able to get them under disabilities/equality legislation. Last year my then LL gave me a section 21 notice of "repossession" and as this was third time in 11 years for me I decided enough was enough and applied to the council for social housing under the Housing Act 1996 - Parts VI and VII, and the Homelessness Act 2002. After four months of procrastination and misinformation from the "Housing Options Team" they eventually gave me a flat, but the process was stressful to the point of near breakdown.

The Tories have said they will change the rules on council housing. Anyone have any information as to how many points these people from other areas of the country are likely to receive?

Tory social welfare plans are being made up and revised on the backs of envelopes, I reckon the take-up is likely to be near zilch, the Bullingdons have no concept of how the "hoi polloi" think or live their lives.
Do not get me wrong. I am a single male with no assets, living on my own with some severe psychiatric problems. It is kinda inevitable that these cuts would affect me and I imagine many people will be much more worse off but it does seem as though I'm being abit hammered by them.
Likewise myself but by sticking together and helping each other we can get through this.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

One of the con-dems plans is to reduce housing benefit by 10% to people who have been on JSA over a year,how can they possibly target people who through no fault of their own cannot gain employment?

If people cannot afford the extra 10% rent,whats to stop them being evicted?

Thatcherism MK11 rolls on

Hi,

I've also been on the housing list in my area for the last six years and was hoping to finally obtain some secure housing, instead of relying on unreliable and hostile landlords in the private sector. I've never found these people willing to house me. Infact, to avoid homelessness over the last 5 years I've had to lie to most of my landlords and only got my last one because I used a guarantor.

Welcome to life under the Tories. Such a shame people forgot what it was like when they voted or were too young to remember it.

This is just the start of it. :(

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

One of the con-dems plans is to reduce housing benefit by 10% to people who have been on JSA over a year,how can they possibly target people who through no fault of their own cannot gain employment?

If people cannot afford the extra 10% rent,whats to stop them being evicted?

Thatcherism MK11 rolls on

This is "the nasty party" pandering to the moronic readers of the "Daily Scaremonger". The point of this ill conceived budget measure is to target the jobless whose housing allowances act as a disincentive to taking low paid work which would consequently leave them worse off after housing costs. Seeing as the main group affected would be parents with loads of kids renting larger houses, this would make a mockery of protecting children. It's unworkable or else it will be ushering in a return of rachmanism.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

• 4 years later...

Well life didn't get much better but I did start an open university course (another thing I stressed about doing, until I got a stinking letter from department and sent it off).

I feel almost like I'm living a double life. There were 6 months that passed where I only saw one person, yet from the facecrap people would think I'm perfectly fine. Become horribly agarohobic and withdrawn these last few years, and did however pass two ESA assessments without attending any medicals although I got very concerned when the community mental health team discharged me to my GP to save money.

I'd like to maybe volunteer on and off at a charity shop to try and meet people but it's just not worth the risk. Not saying it would be an easy experience either, having to interact with people like that (especially if not medicated). Just does my head in this fear of destitution if you try and improve your situation, and how the system works against us.

Then how we're labelled, good for nothing work-shy scroungers stealing peoples taxes off them to live the life of riley. That we're irresponsible people that don't want to contribute anything to our society. We are ****ing ill for Christ saves, they should cut us some slack not drive us into the ground. Do they honestly think i wanted to be sitting around on my ass for five years like this? I want to do something with my life.. You get incredibly morbid too in this state. Like you're just waiting around patiently to die. Not that I'm going to commit suicide, that's not my thing but I can see how people do end up doing it.

Edited by Mrmagoooo

What I say is that I would happily take any person's job and health - they get my benefits and disabilities. I would love to work as I'm sure you would mrmagoooo, but I think those that claim we're living a great life on benefits would quickly want out of the deal if they had to live severely ill and/or disabled.

Wanting to do some volunteering is a great goal. You can start off with virtual volunteering if you want, until you get more confidence. You can search for virtual volunteering opportunities here:

https://do-it.org/opportunities/search

and in the 'I would like to do' search section, choose technology and online and then tick the virtual volunteering box.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Wanting to do some volunteering is a great goal. You can start off with virtual volunteering if you want, until you get more confidence. You can search for virtual volunteering opportunities here:

https://do-it.org/opportunities/search

and in the 'I would like to do' search section, choose technology and online and then tick the virtual volunteering box.

Very interesting info, thanks.

When I looked at voluntary work a year or so back I don't remember anything like this and was pretty much told volunteering could not be done from home which made it a no go for me.