More AUS debt being chased in the UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having had a few low range speeding fines in the past, the NSW State Debt Recovery Office recover these fines and other traffic offences. You may want to log onto the RTA website and find if you have any demerit points on your licence

Edited by MarknRuth
spelling

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As above, the NSW SDRO processes fines issued by police, council and the RMS. They don't chase tax bills - that would be the ATO which is Federal rather than state.

If you're sure it isn't consumer debt then it may be regarding failure to vote in the recent election but in that case you ought to have been contacted by the AEC who would have sent an "apparent failure to vote" notice to which needs to be answered within the given timeframe.

Of course, if you didn't get this letter they may have taken the matter to court in your absence and you could have been stung with a fine for $200 or so.

I would agree that this is that it is more likely to be regarding unpaid fines or parking tickets but I am surprised that they would go to these lengths.

The only way you're going to know for sure is to contact them.

How long have you been away from Aus?

• 1 month later...

These Credit Corp cretins never cease to amaze me. They've come out of the woodwork for another go - today I received this email from them:

--------------------------

I’ve been attempting to contact you in regards to an important business matter. Our goal is to find an appropriate solution for this situation and we need to get an understanding of your current circumstances, please contact Lxxxx Nxxx at CCG on 02 8xxx 5xxx or via Email.

Regards,

Lxxxx Nxxxxo

Customer Relationship Manager

Credit CorpGroup

-----------------------------------

Here is the reply I sent to them:

Ms. Nxxxxx,

Your correspondence below has been received and noted.

Your organisation has been harassing me since 2010. I have previously lodged a formal complaint not only to your organisation, but also to ASIC, Office of Fair Trading, and the Australian Privacy Commissioner. I will be lodging follow-up complaints as a result of your latest correspondence, and will again cc: you on those complaints.

As a result of your continued harassment, I have done extensive research on your organisation. You have a reputation of acting illegally and contrary to regulations you are required to follow for the collection of debts. Namely: (1) You continuously pursue individuals who have no responsibility for the debt in question; (2) you aggressively attempt to collect debts that are statute-barred by law; and (3) you undertake debt collection activities in countries where you have no license to do so. In my case, any company undertaking debt collection activity in the United Kingdom must possess a Consumer Credit Licence from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). You have no such licence, and your phone calls, emails and letters clearly constitute debt collection activity.

In previous correspondence with your organisation, you have been unable to prove: (1) I am the individual responsible for the debt(s) in question; (2) the debt(s) in question are not statute-barred; and (3) you are licensed to conduct debt collection activity in the United Kingdom.

Further attempts by you to "get an understanding of your current circumstances" are illegal, an invasion of privacy, and will be ignored.

DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN

As stated earlier, I will be lodging additional complaints against your organisation with ASIC, Office of Fair Trading, and the Privacy Commissioner. I will supplement those complaints with my previous complaints against your organisation which you have ignored.

Signed,

William415

• 9 months later...
Hi William

CC has recently contacted me at my work email address regarding an old debt. Did you receive a reply or any further correspondence following your last letter?

Thanks

Yeah, they tried a few more times and I just ignored them. They must have learned their lesson, because I haven't heard boo from them since all my debts passed the official Statute Barred date.

My advice is to first determine when your debts will be statute barred (varies by Australian state ... most are 7 years, I think). NEVER admit they are your debts. Just continue to ignore them until they start ringing your employer and colleagues (they tried that tactic with me). They also troll your social media (LinkedIn especially) to see where you work, and they'll ring reception or anyone else they can get ahold of to try and embarrass you into paying.

If they start with that, then write to them: deny that the debt is yours, ask them to send you ALL information they hold on you, and demand they never contact you again. Then send complaints about their tactics to every regulatory agency in Australia you can find. I've listed what I've done on these forums - shouldn't be too hard to find.

They often move on to easier targets when you put up a fight and start complaining to the regulatory authorities. They're mostly looking for people who scare easily, and will pay up to get them to stop calling & emailing.

Good luck.

W