Counter Drafts - what does it mean?

c_jones64
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I just visited a Nationwide branch to raise a cheque from my Flexaccount to a charity and was told that there is now a charge for this service. However, if I used my own cheque book which I received when I first opened the account there would be no charge.

Seeing that I opened the account over 8 years ago, and never use cheques, I don’t have the cheque book to hand. They have now ordered me a new cheque book which will probably arrive in 10 days time. I will then use one cheque from the book and probably never use it again.

So a few questions;

· Why is it called counter draft charge on the website rather than a counter cheque?

· Why is the £10 charge not levied against a counter cheque if I’m the payee?

· There is now a cost to Nationwide for printing a cheque book and sending it to me

Do all banks now find these varying ways of raising money from their customers? Is there a bank that doesn’t fleece their customers?

Nationwide no longer feels like a Building Society to me, more like a Bank putting money before its customers.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I found this out recently as well when I went in to draw 3 counter drafts to send in the post to pay for items I had ordered. Each draft was for £6 or less and I would have been charged £10 for each one so, for £17 total transactions Nationwide were going to make £30 out of me.

I refused to pay this and went next door and got 3 crossed postal orders at a charge of £1 each.

I was really annoyed a couple of years back when they removed the facility from within branch machines to print off cheques and meant I had to go to the counter and draw one of these drafts - which, if you don't send it or, if it gets lost in the post, is non-refundable or cancellable.

I believe it's because customers who have the basic FlexAccount don't tend to have overdrafts and so create very little money for Nationwide - I never go overdrawn, don't have a chequebook on the account, no overdraft or debit card. And I don't know the last time I was charged anything by them.

The woman at the reception desk went to find out if a cheque book could be added to the account but it can't without me applying for a new account (which I don't want to do).

And, while I will now be sent a debit card for the account - Solo I think - they are also withdrawing the ability to withdraw cash from ATMs outside the UK so are giving with one hand but taking away with two!!

If I could move to another bank I would.

Feebee_71