Unpaid BT Bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an unpaid BT bill from last year, that started off at around £80 then finished off at around £150 after it went unpaid for various months and then went to a collection agency that threatened me with visits etc.

From the middle of last year until now I have been suffering from depression and financial difficulties, and pretty much through in the towel with keeping tabs of my finances and it just all ran over my head ... many envelopes unopened etc.

But not any more, I'm ready to get absolutely everything sorted and pay off all my unpaid debts.

I have managed to bring myself to view my credit report, and to my amazement BT haven't added any defaults to it, and neither has the water company who I owe 400 to and is threatening me with court and neither has an internet domain registrar. To my amazement my credit rating is fair, after I had two defaults in 2004 with a student overdraft and credit card with BOS (satisfied immediately) that were on the file.

So... I would like to call the debt collection agency that BT hired (Nelson Guest & Partners Solicitors and Wescott) and tell them I'll make a card payment.

They seem to have forgotten about me though, and haven't sent me any letters all year. What I am worried about, is if I call them to confirm my address etc and offer to make the payment, they will register a default on my credit file before I pay it? ... which will then mark it as satisfied? That would be a disaster for me as I had to wait for 6 years that have just cleared for my credit rating to get rid of the defaults from 2004.

So if anyone has any advice on this matter, I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Ray

ignore

if bt wanted the money , they would of asked for it by now.

DON'T ever call a DCA

never speak about your debts on the phone to ANY DCA.

they have no legal powers

and prob brought the debt for 5% face value.

ignore!!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi dx100uk, that's really interesting, thanks.

To be honest I did call BT at the middle of last year to pay it all off, and they said that it had been passed on, so I didn't pay them in the end because I didn't want to call a DCA!

If BT had been willing to process the payment themselves, like I had insisted, they would have had it by now. ... the numpties.

I have the money, but what I'm really worried about is whether I'll get a default or CCJ put on my credit file (can BT or the credit companies do that?... would they be willing to give me a CCJ for £150???)

The only thing I'm worried about is keeping my experian credit file at 'Fair' ... I don't want any nasty surprises from them in the future if I continue ignoring ...

... oh yeah, the other thing I'm worried about is if I was to move to a new flat and decided I wanted to take out a BT landline for a DHCL broadband subscription with another company ... would they then knock me back and give me hassle once they know my current address... like notify the DCA where I live etc???

Maybe they will say to me, fine, pay us your outstanding fees then we'll give you a landline??

... as long as they don't put anything on my credit file, I don't care.

... oh yeah, the other thing I'm worried about is if I was to move to a new flat and decided I wanted to take out a BT landline for a DHCL broadband subscription with another company ... would they then knock me back and give me hassle once they know my current address... like notify the DCA where I live etc???

Maybe they will say to me, fine, pay us your outstanding fees then we'll give you a landline??

... as long as they don't put anything on my credit file, I don't care.

If you happen to be moving and it happens to be with some one else, get that other person to put the landline in their name..

no they wouldn't do that.

the debt has been sold and BT are not interested in it.

if the DCA do put a default on, it will be unlawful as it must be done within 3-6mts at best.

TBH: i'd forget about it.

don't fooled by these fleecers and their threat-o-grams esp wescrap.

oh and their tame solicitors on the next desk...or is it the secretary changing the letterhead.

ignore!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What dx says, but with a warning. Don;t go to BT to have service provided, they do check their own and CRA records, and if it pulls up you owed, it could cause the whole thing to kock off.

BT (currently) do NOT report customers to CRA's - they've resisted the claims by CRAs that they should. Disclosure can ony be made with the approval of the customer, so would have to ask you (or tell you when they plan to disclose) it also cannot be made retroactively, so you've nothing to worry about there. I'm a dirm bveliever that you should pay for what you owe - but if offered and BT declines because they've 'passed it on' - there is no obligation on you to pay a third party.

mmm interesting, thanks for your answers dx100uk, Consumer Dude and buzby.

Buzby, how do you recommend I try to give BT their money with minimum hassle and damage to myself?

I am very tempted to save the money and donate it to charity though instead of giving it to BT if I can get away with it ...

It looks like Wescott have bought the "Debt" from BT, so BT have cut their losses and decided that they'd rather get a small percent from Westcot rather than chasing the debt themselves. If BT say the debt is "passed on", then you owe them nothing.

So, now Westcot own the "debt" and they are going to huff and puff to get you to pay. They're going to send letters from their "pre-litigation department" and their "solicitors"... these are just other offices at the debt collection agency. Truth be told, it would cost them more in any sort of enforcement action than they could possibly hope to get! (which is probably why it has gone quiet)

My advice, you have other more important debts to deal with, leave the "westcot" people to worry about that £80/£150 and you use your money to pay the other bits off. Also, it may help you to take a look at this

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Telecoms - mobile or fixed, Internet, digital TV

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

It was BT's choice to sell it on - so if you have gone to BT to pay and it is refused, then walk away from it, with a clear mind. It could be said it was greed (on BT's part) to take money from a DCA in exchange for your details, but you were not a party to this - so the DCA would intend beating you into submission and pay up. Hold off the charity don;ation meantime, until you get passed the 6 years limitation on debts.