Safe PC Support scam?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have no idea what to do about this, but people could be ripped off by them, so the more places I post it the more chance there is of something being done about it.

I received a phone call earlier and was told that the company name was Safe PC Support. Their website is www.safepcsupport.com

They claimed that my computer had been calling them because it has viruses. I was told that these viruses are now stored in the motherboard and it will attract more viruses from the internet. He guided me to look at the System log in Event Viewer and said that all the entries are proof that my computer has viruses. I was then told that they have been given a number of engineers from Microsoft and they can send one to sort out my computer. All I needed to do was complete a Paypal payment online. Microsoft was mentioned a lot and it came across as if they were actually linked with Microsoft, but there is no mention of any partnership on their website and no Microsoft logos either

Little do they know that I worked in PC Support for 10 years and I know that everything I was told by them was a lie.

It is impossible that my computer would have called them, unless I set it up to do so, and I haven't. My computer is virus free, as I have very reliable anti-virus software. There are very few viruses that can infect a motherboard, but the ones that do would actually stop my computer from booting up. The System log in Event Viewer is always full of entries. To a person who doesn't know what all the entries mean, it could be worrying. They obviously rely on people not knowing much about computers so that they can take advantage.

The call came up as International on my phone display, so it’s strange that their website suggests they are in Kidderminster. There is no phone number or email address in the Contact Us section on their website and they also leave out the post code on the address. I got the email address from the Paypal screen after you click Buy Now on one of the packages. I then got the post code from internet searches and confirming it on a courier website. So could it be that they are using a false UK address and aren't even a legitimate company in this country. A search on the Companies House website has no listings for a company called Safe PC Support.

Did the call start "Hello Mr/Mrs X, I'm calling from your XP service provider"

Also did they try to get you to use the "logmein" or another remote management website to allow them remote control over your PC?

Sounds like a new variation on type in "/prefetch virus" in the run command [problem].

I kept the guy who tried this on the line for an hour going it's not working how do I do that again? Could you explain this that? Then unleashed a torrent of unbridled verbal abuse that he was spluttering so much he couldn't end the call for 5 mins :-D

Dangerous as you don't know exactly what they are doing after you give them control.

Edited by speedfreek

I would not have run anything or done anything to allow any access to my PC. When he asked me to put my computer on and check something, I thought he might possibly try and get me to do something to make my PC vulnerable. He only told me how to check the System log though, so I played along with it to find out more information.

Who do I report this to for something to be done though? It's clearly illegal so I don't understand how they are allowed to continue with such a [problem] and get away with it.

First time I've heard of this thanks for the heads up.

I see from a search you've posted on the AV Forums site too so hopefully word will filter out.

But word doesn't get out fast enough. It should be on BBC 24 and SKY news. By the time the vulnerable know, it's too late, they will have already paid out.

I had a call the other day from a friend. He had the same only they conned him out of his windows key.

wheres directi.com come from?

on a whois im getting VG Rishi, VG RISHI INFOTECH, Keelapavoor, Tenkasi web designing as the hosting

but im guessing that if its a semi sophisticated [problem] then its multiple hosting

edit love some of the terms and conditions

"Consequently, you are still liable for and must pay us for our time spent attempting to repair your problems even if we cannot, using all reasonable efforts, produce actual repairs. "

"we may also suspend, refuse, or terminate service for any reason that we, in our sole discretion, consider appropriate to do so. "

"Should you access any element of this site, or use any functions, tools, or services that this site offers, register as a member, or view any text or graphics, such activities on your part means explicitly and definitely that you have read this Agreement and agree to be bound by the terms and conditions contained herein."

so according to them reading the header of the page accepts the terms and conditions

"You also agree to refrain from requesting "charge-backs" or canceling any fees or service charges paid for with your credit card"

may i just laugh at that?

"Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk"

ditto above

Edited by labrat

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I think you might be right on the multi-hosting. The site IP (69.167.160.4), puts the host in Lansing Michigan.

I did a search on the Asia/Pacific ring to come up with Directi.

They called again today.

I reported them to Consumer Direct on Wednesday, but I have no idea if they will do anything. I also reported it to PayPal, but I would guess the most they could do is stop the account and then the [problematic] will just use another account anyway.

This is crazy how I have details on a company that is [causing problems] people and there is no one who is interested in doing anything about it.

Makes you realise just how easy it is to get away with something like this.

true but paypal has a habit of freezing peoples money in their accounts....

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Reporting it to PayPal was a waste of time. All I got was a copy and paste reply of what to do under certain circumstances, neither of which apply to the situation I reported to them. Proving that either no one actually read my message correctly or that they don't care as long as they get their cut.

"Technology Behinds You" indeed !!??

Looks a very dodgy site, I bet its just a spotty teenager sitting alone in his bedroom, reminds me of the now (in)famous GC's PC's ..Yes I know the second ' is not needed, but thats how he spelt it :)

Andy

Another call. This time they claim that they ARE the technical team from Microsoft. :rolleyes:

I asked why they are calling people in the UK using a fake company name, using a fake address, offering a fake service when they aren't even in the UK. No sensible answer, as you can guess.

Time to report it to Microsoft I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new one today kept him talking for 20 minutes.

Starts off asking you to go to a site and down load teamviewer (remote control software)

When I told him it didn't work he directed me to

Computer Tech Support UK,Technical Support Services ,Computer Network Maintenance Services UK

DNS records say they're USA registered by an India company 'Rediff.com India Limited'

thesupportonline.com WHOIS domain registration information from Network Solutions

Whois calling me seems to say they have a bit of a bad rep.

02033188706 - who calls me from 02033188706? 1/3

Any way we can find out who provides their telephone number?

• 1 year later...
This is worrying. I know alot of silver surfers who'll be taken in by this [problem].

my friend, one of those sillver surfers, recieved a phone call from this company who offered to sort out her computer problems for her. she paid them £80 and recieved a download of what she called super duper protection, but which was in fact advancesystemcare4, which when i checked is a free download easily available on the web. she spent four hours on the phone last night while the man 'guided her through' sorting out her computer. i was instantly alarmed when she told me and have come online to have my suspicions confirmed. presumably they can control her computer now? what can she do about this? what action can she take to ensure they do not have access to her computer anymore please? she's lost the money i know. but now im worried that they are using her computer for other things whilst they keep her online, or are using her connection. can somebody advise please?

my friend, one of those sillver surfers, recieved a phone call from this company who offered to sort out her computer problems for her. she paid them £80 and recieved a download of what she called super duper protection, but which was in fact advancesystemcare4, which when i checked is a free download easily available on the web. she spent four hours on the phone last night while the man 'guided her through' sorting out her computer. i was instantly alarmed when she told me and have come online to have my suspicions confirmed. presumably they can control her computer now? what can she do about this? what action can she take to ensure they do not have access to her computer anymore please? she's lost the money i know. but now im worried that they are using her computer for other things whilst they keep her online, or are using her connection. can somebody advise please?

to be totally sure restore her computer back to factory settings (make sure you backup pictures/docs first). Usually the computer will have a Restore Manager or come with a restore disc. If you're not sure how ask a friend who knows or contact a local IT guy. Prices will vary but I wouldn't pay more than £50 to have it done.

to be totally sure restore her computer back to factory settings (make sure you backup pictures/docs first). Usually the computer will have a Restore Manager or come with a restore disc. If you're not sure how ask a friend who knows or contact a local IT guy. Prices will vary but I wouldn't pay more than £50 to have it done.

thank you for replying. cant believe she was so daft. my hubby can look at her puter for her, he's quite handy with them. have sent her to the bank today to day to sort out any possible consequences and am going online with her shortly on my computer to change passwords on sensitive accounts. to whom does one report such hoaxing, and are any of the authorities interested in having it reported to them?