ESA Appeal Date Looms - in bits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Completely had the wrong day, havent slept for over 3 days, thinking my appeal is today and its tomorrow. The clerk called me (to make matters worse) asking me to change my appointment time - I am trying to cope with massive amounts of anxiety and im that confused ive got the days wrong. I just hope i can get there, that my panic and anxiety doesnt stop me.

I will report back with my decision

Can I ask for the decision via letter, I cant cope with it on the day, even if its a yes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck for tomorrow.

I was asked to leave the room at the end of my hearing and was called back in about 3 minutes later and there was a piece of paper on the table with the decision written on it.

You will probably feel bettter to find out tomorrow and then you may feel a little calmer, you could win, a lot of people are.

I hope everthing goes well.

cbbc, thank you for your kind words.

Im really worried im going to fall into an emotional state. And im fearful of a no and then Im on my own at home until late into the evening. Im feeling massively unstable currently. With a letter I could open it with those that care for me around me, I would cope better.

x

cbbc, thank you for your kind words.

Im really worried im going to fall into an emotional state. And im fearful of a no and then Im on my own at home until late into the evening. Im feeling massively unstable currently. With a letter I could open it with those that care for me around me, I would cope better.

x

Hi

This is sooooo damn wrong!!!! Why is the State treating us worse than animals being put to sleep??

This poor lady is suffering and in society today there does not appear to be one ounce of understanding being shown to her by the powers that be!!!!

When I was in the forces you still felt that you had the support from 'most' even when you had to put yourself in harms way!

What on earth is happening to understanding, compassion and the belief that there will always be somebody to hold you when you fall???

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

GOOD LUCK FROM ME TOO!!...

please try to stay calm, dont panic...Take deep breaths and just remember... we are ALL RIGHT BEHIND YOU...

PEOPLE shouldn't be made to go through this much stress and emotional turmoil...just what ill people DONT NEED...

be strong

My best wishes

Countmein ((( XXX ))

Reporting back, although a complete wreck...

Well I completely went to pieces, pulled over 3 times to be sick on the way there with panic attacks. Panic attack before I went in, the clerk insisted I went in while in this mess.

Only 2 people in there, both men, 1 a doctor and 1 a Tribunal Judge.

My case has basically been adjourned, the tribunal want to contact my doctor for reports and they want to speak with someone that see's me often so I'm to bring them with me when we reconvene ( i have no idea how long this will take!)

He asked me some questions that I perceive as awkward....or strange, in relation to my *illness* but really on the whole that side of the experience was *OK* better than I expected.

He said, he wants to be able to give me the right decision (although I wont see him again.) AND he said the Atos report is totally conflicting with the person that was sitting in front of him. So I felt he wanted to give me a win, but the evidence wasnt there. He was saying that for 10yrs I dealt with this illness getting very little help, I tried saying to him that my illness was hidden from anyone close to me, and STILL is.

I dont know how I feel, just numb. Because on the whole I dont feel believed about my illness and how it affects me daily, which only compounds my fears more.

Should I approach my WRO?, who bar writing in a little for my initial appeal has been useless.

I've made an appointment to see my doctor (on the Judges advise to explain to my Doc this whole situation)

Any thoughts on what else if anything I should do...?

Thanks for reading.

I'm glad that the tribunal saw fit to adjourn for the gathering of further supporting evidence. You can take your WRO but if the chair asked you to bring someone who knows you well, why don't you also bring your 18 year old? As your carer (effectively) he/she should be able to give a good overview to the tribunal of how you are day to day.

Have you considered applying for DLA? As you are dependent on the help of other people, you may qualify for this.

What sort of awkward questions were asked? Is it anything we could perhaps help you with?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Whilst I agree that it is a good thing that the Tribunal want more info to make the right decision, I still maintain that someone should preview cases at the Tribunals Service and say "this could do with some extra evidence" and then contact everyone to get an agreement to get what is needed. That surely would eliminate turning up on the day after a years wait to be told you will have to go away and come back another day?

Whilst I agree that it is a good thing that the Tribunal want more info to make the right decision, I still maintain that someone should preview cases at the Tribunals Service and say "this could do with some extra evidence" and then contact everyone to get an agreement to get what is needed. That surely would eliminate turning up on the day after a years wait to be told you will have to go away and come back another day?

Paul, thanks for your words. (actually that goes for you all, im so glad I found this place without having to pass over £18.50 grrr)

It is really in my hands to have the evidence, some may argue I've had a yr. I write through my daughter on here, I dont want to pester my children anymore than I do already. I dont make calls, my neighbour makes them as me, I could go on but I wont bore people but these are my daily battles and why I turned up with just me, but in the state im often in if im forced to go out. I only saw my WRO twice within 10mths concerning my appeal, but felt I couldnt ask her for help she was quite cold.

A few hours after the event, I feel in limbo land im relived I didnt get a flat "we have upheld the original decision" part of me is filled with dred that this trundles on and I will have to face this all again :(

Giving this battle up is all I think about on a daily basis. How much can one person take.

I'm glad that the tribunal saw fit to adjourn for the gathering of further supporting evidence. You can take your WRO but if the chair asked you to bring someone who knows you well, why don't you also bring your 18 year old? As your carer (effectively) he/she should be able to give a good overview to the tribunal of how you are day to day.

Have you considered applying for DLA? As you are dependent on the help of other people, you may qualify for this.

What sort of awkward questions were asked? Is it anything we could perhaps help you with?

Hello Erika,

Im going to take my sister she comes in 4-5 times a week. Putting my Son through the Tribunal is something I wont do, I just cant. My sister has obviously known me all my life and can call on episodes over my depressive period (if asked)

Re DLA I will look into this, its something I have been advised about recently but I havent the mental strength to deal with it currently.

One question that sticks in my gut a little is "why did I change Benefits?" yes im a lone parent, always have been but I had been to Work Focussed Interviews and broken down and got into a total state and my new deal worker recommended I went onto IB but like most things in my life it was shelved. I applied for ESA in March 09, maybe its me but I didnt get the question.

:rolleyes: Oh, the "changing benefits" nugget. They tend to ask this when someone's time is "up" on a long term benefit and they claim another long term benefit either straight after, or not long after the previous long term benefit ended.

If they ask again, just tell them what you told us. That you were recommended by your advisor to claim ESA because he/she did not feel that you were able to cope with a work environment due to your condition.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Reporting back, although a complete wreck...

Well I completely went to pieces, pulled over 3 times to be sick on the way there with panic attacks. Panic attack before I went in, the clerk insisted I went in while in this mess.

Only 2 people in there, both men, 1 a doctor and 1 a Tribunal Judge.

My case has basically been adjourned, the tribunal want to contact my doctor for reports and they want to speak with someone that see's me often so I'm to bring them with me when we reconvene ( i have no idea how long this will take!)

He asked me some questions that I perceive as awkward....or strange, in relation to my *illness* but really on the whole that side of the experience was *OK* better than I expected.

He said, he wants to be able to give me the right decision (although I wont see him again.) AND he said the Atos report is totally conflicting with the person that was sitting in front of him. So I felt he wanted to give me a win, but the evidence wasnt there. He was saying that for 10yrs I dealt with this illness getting very little help, I tried saying to him that my illness was hidden from anyone close to me, and STILL is.

I dont know how I feel, just numb. Because on the whole I dont feel believed about my illness and how it affects me daily, which only compounds my fears more.

Should I approach my WRO?, who bar writing in a little for my initial appeal has been useless.

I've made an appointment to see my doctor (on the Judges advise to explain to my Doc this whole situation)

Any thoughts on what else if anything I should do...?

Thanks for reading.

hi Albatross Firstly I want to send (((BIG HUGS TO YOU HUN ))) you have done ever so well getting this far. 'BE PROUD OF YOURSELF'. I know If I were you I would be VERY pleased with todays outcome, even tho it's not 'ended' for you today... But it is positive hun, they have said 'they want to make sure they have all the facts'.. that means that they want to make sure they 'hear your side hun'...and have'all the facts.. Please dont worry... keep

Go to your Doctor, DONT be ashamed or afraid to 'tell them like it is for you to him/her'..Your GP is 'there for you' is meant to help support and treat 'YOU' please remember that hun.. Although todays outcome hasn't been concluded, it 'does' now give you time to get things sorted and put your side to them..

Take care and BE STRONG..you will get there!...

Counrmein X

Thanks once again for all your kind words.

This morning, the dictation of the Tribunal was sent to me, and its left me a bit angry, I dont know if its the right way to feel or if im confused about the reason I put myself through it.

Was I there to appeal the report and the reasons I got 0 points?

Or to be asked why I dont get help or why I switched benefits?

I actually dont know how to word what I want to say.

I contacted WRO officer and she is now saying she is prepared to attend with me, im seeing this as a bonus she has offered to come and visit my home (as she knows I really struggle to go to her) and set up a plan of action.

Does anyone think this will take AS long to get a new date for this re-hearing as apposed to the 10months I waited for this?

• 1 month later...

I think im at the point of giving up.

im also now in the process of claiming IB (due to being ill advised over a year ago) sent back my IB50 and of course now am due for my medical for IB, I just dont know how much of this I can take. Its never ending I just cant see any light..

• 1 month later...

hellow,albatross, hadenough:)

just reading through your thread; disgusting treatment from atos /dwp .

you had a tribunal hearing on the 2nd of june , but this had to be ajourned for a latter date.

why has this taken so long. this is despicable and shows the dwp/ atos "true colours"

you should continue with your appeal (i know you find it hard and feel its never going to end , but thats what these people atos/ dwp want you to do ; )

my cousin has got severe problems(mental&physical) and has just had his appeal "up held", after

having his initial medical in febuary 2010 and waiting until august for his hearing.he got 0 points at his

medical , but now has won his case" "should give us all hope":)

I am just so angry at atos/ dwp for allowing this to happen in the first place:mad:

proper doctors/ gps/ consultants, nurses should be "involved" earler.

any proper medical people(who surely read these threads willing to comment, or have you been told to keep quiet by your lords& masters the dwp& atos.

good luck/ wishes albatross happyhamr:)

hellow,albatross, hadenough:)

just reading through your thread; disgusting treatment from atos /dwp .

you had a tribunal hearing on the 2nd of june , but this had to be ajourned for a latter date.

why has this taken so long. this is despicable and shows the dwp/ atos "true colours"

you should continue with your appeal (i know you find it hard and feel its never going to end , but thats what these people atos/ dwp want you to do ; )

my cousin has got severe problems(mental&physical) and has just had his appeal "up held", after

having his initial medical in febuary 2010 and waiting until august for his hearing.he got 0 points at his

medical , but now has won his case" "should give us all hope":)

I am just so angry at atos/ dwp for allowing this to happen in the first place:mad:

proper doctors/ gps/ consultants, nurses should be "involved" earler.

any proper medical people(who surely read these threads willing to comment, or have you been told to keep quiet by your lords& masters the dwp& atos.

good luck/ wishes albatross happyhamr:)

Good advice, but for me a little too late!

I see your cousin had his medical in Feb this year and had to wait until August for the appeal. That was very good going!

I had my medical in Jan this year and was told a few weeks back that the appeal is unlikely to be heard until January next year at the earliest.

That did it for me, I couldn't handle the stress any more and politely told them where they could stick the appeal. It has been hard enough trying to get everything together and the costs I have incurred. without having this still playing on my mind for at least another 5 months!

So DWP/ATOS have had their way - I signed on for JSA - but that created a whole lot of white lies to tell!

It does seem to me that they (DWP) would prefer me to not to claim anything, and get on with it myself.

But at least I now have peace of mind (although no money yet) and only have to go and sign on once a week. Mind you I dread the thought of them finding a job for me! No employer in this country would offer me one, after I tell them what condition I am in.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Mum has over the past 12 weeks been passed for Incapacity Benefit.

Her re-scheduled appeal is Wednesday this week. She will not go - nothing I can say will make her change her mind she is particularly at a low, not even taking her medication its awful. Her Doctor's papers arrived (which are completely useless). I'm going to call the Appeals people and explain she is too unstable to attend, there is no choice.

Can I ask, what will happen? Will it be heard in her absence? Will this affect her current benefit (which is not due for revising until July next year)

Thank You.

Hi albatross, don't take my words as definitive, see what the other caggers have to say first, but I doubt it will matter much if your mum can't attend an APPEAL because these almost invariably uphold the original decision, the main chance to overturn the original decision comes when it gets to the TRIBUNAL.

At the tribunal it would help if you can get a well briefed welfare rights person to attend with your mum and have all the medical evidence (photocopies) sent to arrive with the tribunal at least 2 weeks before they sit.

Kindest regards, Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Lone ranger thanks for your reply, this is her Tribunal it was rescheduled from her initial one which she attended, but has gone downhill since then. So it's her tribunal is isn't attending I'm afraid. This has been ongoing since March 09, and Mum has given up...

I agree with what loan ranger has said about having representation at the tribunal, whether your Mum attends or not. My OH was told by a tribunal chairman that it's much better to attend in person if it's at all possible and that there's a better chance of a good result by doing that.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum