Dishwasher from Argos

lobro45
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

I bought a dishwasher online from Argos. Paid for them to connect it and remove the old one. They couldn't connect it for some reason, so our plumber connected it ( in 10 minutes ! ).

It had a part missing off the salt filling cap, so I had a moan at them and they seem to be claiming that as it had been connected, then I was deemed to have accepted it! How does one know if it's any good if you don't connect it?

By the way, it hasn't even been run due to the missing part.

I then countered that under the Sale of Goods act, it had to be fit for purpose, and with a part missing, it was not fit for purpose.

I'm out of my depth with consumer law, but i don't want to let it drop, so what should I do next ?

Thanks in advance, Keith.

( as yet, I've had no reply from them )

What resolution are you hoping for? (So I can offer the relevant help). Acceptance is usually one brought up when seeking a refund.

Acceptance comes in with regards to a refund as you can reject goods which do not conform to contract (are faulty) within a reasonable amount of time (Say a month however can vary). Installation by a qualified person does not constitute acceptance as you are neither telling the seller you have accepted, nor have you damaged it yourself (Unless the plumber damaged it, but within 6 months is up to Argos to prove)

The Sales of goods act allows you reasonable opportunity to check that the goods conform to contract, which should be your argument to Argos. (35 2a)

If you are just after the part then tell them if they arrange a date for someone to come and put the part on within the next 7 days you will be reporting them to Trading Standards for selling below-par goods and failing to honour your legal statutory rights.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm only after a dishwasher that works! So the part is all I'm after. But Argos seem to think I've accepted it and it's my tough luck.

I'll contact them and ask that they fit the missing part.

Thanks Keith.

It doesn't matter if you have accepted it or not, they MUST make sure you have a dishwasher that works. Ask them what acceptance has to do with anything!

Tell them that even if the product was accepted, which its not, then they are still obligated to repair or replace the item.

Stupid idiots at the Argos Direct, I do apologise for the colleagues I work with

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Thanks. I've e-mailed them and outlined the action I'm prepared to take ( following your advice in the first post ). They responded immediatly, asking for order number, model numbre etc, so at least they're communicating with me.

I'll keep you informed of the progress.

Thanks Keith.

Argos are now going to post me the missing part. It's something I can fit myself, so that'll do me!

Why they couldn't treat me as a valued customer I'll never know. But they can treat me as anything they want now, as I shall not be requiring their goods again. I'll go elsewhere and only use Argos if I'm stuck!

Keith.

• 4 weeks later...