Lloyds refuse to repay money stolen from my account - help needed!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A long story but late last year Lloyds rang saying that there had been some suspect purchases made on my account. I told them to cancel the card and asked what the money had been used for and it turns out hair extensions! Obviously not something a man would buy. Anyway, on investigation it turns out that an ex-partner (which I had seperated from three months prior) had been using my card details to purchase nice little gifts for herself.

Lloyds informed me that they would refund any charges that were not made by me and this at the time amounted to around £400. Stupidly I told the bank not to refund the money and that I would look to get it back myself from her.

After months of trying, no settlement was made so I decided to get online access to my account and pick through the stolen money and where it had gone. In total over £900 was taken in under a two month period without my knowledge prior to the bank calling! I then told the bank all the fraudulent charges and that I wanted to proceed with reclaiming them and if necessary a criminal prosecution.

I got a police number and filled out all the paperwork. However, today I recieved a letter from the bank stating that because I had at some point given my card details to the third party (she was my girlfriend for 3 years so thats not unreasonable!) I had breached their terms and conditions and money would not be refunded!

Now, bearing in mind we had seperated months earlier, she had no permission to use my card details for online purchases, and that I was at one stage offered the money by the bank, is this legal?

I personally see no difference with this and giving my details to an online shop, just because my details are with them, it does not mean I give implicit permission to use them. Can anyone out there let me know their thoughts or a way to proceed with this please?

Much appreciated guys

Police basically gave me the crime number as if to say 'the bank will deal with it!'. I agree, its clearly fraudulent and I really cant see why the bank will not progress it further. My only thinking is they may view it like a domestic arguement but there is clear evidence of fraud which is pretty black and white.

Maybe be more clear with them that the card details were not given, but taken. Do you have that visa/mastercard secure password thing on your card? If not, then there is nothing stopping her using your card.

If you did however give PINs or password to another person, then I don't think you have much to stand on. It's the risk you take such as sharing a bank account with another person. Either party can withdrawal all the funds at any time.