Crisis Loans

lucy.c40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

earlier the better!

Rae: Shelter England - Arrears due to housing benefit

HB are really bad at this, telling people that they cannot pay until a decision is made on their benefit claim. This is total rubbish. HB not not dependent upon the receipt of benefit though income based benefits passport to it. I've seen pensioners waiting up to three months from HB because of backlog of pension credit claims. Not on. The suspension process in HB is badly abused these days. It should always be subject to reasonableness. Welfare Rights Bulletin 203: Housing benefit, information and terminations

If there is no word on your ESA claim they should establish your entitlement in another way such as requesting bank statements to check for income etc. They should not suspend beyong a reasonable period, unless you fail to comply with an information request. It's not you that isn't complying.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I suspect that onestressed's CL (if that's what it is) claim might be a clerical one (form SF401). CL's for "goods and services" are dealt with separately from "living expenses" and the processing may well go to Belfast. Processing times for goods and services tend to be around 10 - 20 days.

Edited by loan_ranger

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

No all benefits - I'd like to know where all my personal details have been issued to ...

No sense at all. What part of England do you live in?

I might not be able to get back to you tonight, but I can check out where you should be dealing with for where you live (for benefits - loan ranger's link will tell you for Social Fund), and let you know if you like.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thankyou Erika, I'll look into it a bit more. I do recall the council saying they will send me a form to complete regarding how I am currently existing so I guess that info should re-trigger the HB and CTB.

Ok, LR, thankyou, I'll call tomorrow...

Best wishes

Rae

No all benefits - I'd like to know where all my personal details have been issued to ...

Crisis Loans is my pet subject and I'd be pleased to help you if your claim is unduly delayed, I will need to know the following details if your claim is still unprocessed and hasn't been turned down:

(i)When did you apply

(ii) did you use a form to apply, or was this by telephone

(iii) were you asking for living expenses, or, for "goods and/or services"

Regards, Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

phoned crisis loans a little while ago and spoke to snotty bloke who just didnt seem interested at all and when i tried to say that im nearly out of gas/electric the phone went dead .... yes he cut me off the sleazy weasel .. tried again but was put on hold for 15 mins so got fed up and will try again shortly .

That's just not on. Next time you get through ask the DM to state their name clearly. If s/he asks why, tell them that you tried earlier and the DM hung-up without explanation and if it happens again a complaint will be going to the BDC Manager(ess). If the DM gets snotty, ask to speak to someone higher up the chain of command. Was this Milton Keynes BDC?

Best regards, Paul.

P.S. Regarding fuel costs (gas/elec.) read my other post (#5 in this thread) and if you quote "Fuel Expenses - paragraphs 269 to 271 of the 'Social Fund Guide for Decision Makers and Independent Review Service Inspectors'" this usually grabs their full attention. I love a good fight with these jobsworths.

Edited by loan_ranger

hi paul thanks for quick reply . i was gob smacked that he hung up but will try again in few mins and do everything you have just said . I live in colchester so not sure where abouts i got thru to probably Basildon or southend . Im just worried i will get turned down becoz i had a small crisis loan last week. Im just so desperate to get money for a bit of shopping for rest of week and some gas /electric and becoz of the bank charges i am now overdrawn which means my child benefit on monday will also be swallowed up ... BUt hey ho the sun is shining so at least dont need my heating only hot water

!!! :)

CLs for living expenses are dealt with by 20 BDCs, yours is probably Milton Keynes, if the number is 0800 731 9091 then it confirms it. (Sometimes during busy periods the calls get automatically transferred to a less busy BDC so it's not guaranteed it was MK BDC, but you can always ask them)

Best regards, Paul.

Social Fund CL - BDC location and telephone numbers by caller local JCP

P.S. Under the regs they can refuse a loan for "the same item" if you've claimed for it within the last 28 days, however this rule becomes void if there has been a change in your circumstances which was unforeseen, beyond your control and wasn't caused by any act or omission on your part which could have helped to avoid the need arising. You've also got the fact that the loan is for "alignment to benefits" because the pension credits are being unduly delayed by the processing office.

Edited by loan_ranger

All sorted .. Just spoke to nice lady explained the problem and after answering a few questions she awarded me £114 .37 to see me thru till tuesday so have to go and collect at 2-20pm today .Thank you Paul for your much needed help and to everyone else hope you all get yours sorted too :)

Thanks kindly Lucy, I'm just glad to have been of some help. This is the kind of thing that "makes my day".