Blue Badge and disability do to mental illness?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently had to renew my Blue Badge what a nightmare due to the new rules and the supposed anti fraud badge oh and all for the privilage of £20.

Its no longer a couple of pages to fill in its like a dam book you must complete now.

In my area it was always the Social Work that dealt with this but due to the rule changes it has been taken away from them and its the Local Authority you need to apply direct to now.

All I will say is if you are unsure or dont know if you are entitled call your Local Authority and ask them to send you an application form as you get well like two booklets one is the guidance on completing the application form and the other the application form then you can decide to fill it in or not but if still unsure ask advice.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 1 month later...

hi my son is 22 and has had a badge since he was a child. However its due to expire soon. I contacted the people who deal with it in my area and have been told he will no longer quialify. she would not send me a form but said we should go to library or council office to get, he gets HRC and LRM But suffers with autism learning disabilty etc.

We have recently changed GPs since we moved about a yr ago and they have never seen my son - hes not ill as such. we do not use the badge that often but his treat is to go to the cinema so we like to park to the closest enterance for his sake due to traffic cars noise etc. the ladies attitude was well he can walk unaided so hes not entitled!! she was not interested in his mental health issues or the danger he could cause to himself in a situation.

well thats it if we had to park say at the other end of the packed car park and walk thro all the cars or lane where cars come down a) he wont think to look for them and b) car drivers would see him bib and thats it the loud noise would freak him out he would ( possibly) put his hand over his ears and just run! He is scared of balloons - they go bang as for fireworks, well you can imagine!! In his world a car will see you and stop! IF Only!!!!!

problem is they ask you a question and im to daft and answer wrongly because i say we dont let that happen, instead of saying yes it could. Suppose i have always been over protective with him and even now i hold his hand where there are cars traffic or roads, people say im not letting him be independant - im his mother and cant help but worry and look after him. So yes stupid as i answer truthfully - but i know that doesnt get you anywhere when we are talking form filling and assesments :(

Would he be entitled to HRM, do you know? You can sometimes get HRM for learning disabilities, such as Autism.

no thatgot taken away when he was reassessed at 16 basically your an adult and dont need as much care and his mobility needs were less - thats their attitude. We lost everything and i had to fight. Before he was 16 we had both at the higher rate for life - life as a child means until your 16, then at 16 your an adult and we had to be reassessed. I lost the appeal and got MRC and no mobility and appealed again and won the HRC and the LRM = after that and fighting for 2 yrs i was mental drained myself.

Even as a young child i had to fight and go to appeals but i had a very good case worker from the C A B that was training to be a lawyer - he won us the Higher rates for life. No one tells you that life only means the life of a child and not that the life from child to adult!

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a genuine physical or mental disability which affects your ability to get about and/or care for yourself whether alone or by having somebody with you you should be putting in a claim for PIP and the mobility component at the lower rate if you are able to walk and the higher rate if unable. I had my blue badge firstly for the lower rate and later for the higher rate a few years later. The council HAVE to consider your application fairly but if you don't apply they won't send one because they've read this board (sadly). I agree with Rae at the top of the thread, genuine disabled people do not judge each other by whether or not we think you deserve a benefit or concession.

Edited by Learnerlitigator

From 8 April 2013 the Government is introducing a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for eligible working age people aged 16 to 64.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/

Even those of us that have indefinite DLA awards will have to submit an application but will be informed as to when.

• 1 year later...