A message for all the budding Lawyers, Teachers, Doctors and Accountants

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've not been in this section before, very interesting.

As it reads, a large proportion of the fare dodgers posting here for help are hoping to be employed in trades that require a very high level of integrity and morals.

So, if you are looking to train (sorry, no pun intended) for any profession in which a conviction for fare dodging would be a problem.

Don't do it!!

Hammy :)

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I'm sure Old CodJA and SRPO'll agree with me on this about the likeliest dodgers, but 7-10 years ago I used to have to use WAGN - (as it then was!!!), it was always all the snooty wassocks and the laptop-and-brolly brigade in well-paid jobs in finance, accounting, etc., etc., who used to boast about how many times they'd got away with putting 5p in the Permit To Travel machines at unmanned or part-manned stations (and not paying the rest at King's Cross or wherever of course!!!), but what gave me the mirth was that they were probably on twice or three times the salary I was earning at the time, and I used to dearly hope that one day I'd hear 'em getting done on a train for it!!!

Edited by Chris56000

Chris it always makes me smile when responding to these posts and I read the comment:

'I was well dressed, in a suit, I have a good job and they could see I'm not a fare-dodger' or, words to that effect.

I always ask the question. Exactly what does a fare-dodger always look like??

I have personal knowledge of most routes starting from the 1970s when we were all BR of course, and will not comment specifically on any rail company, but yes, it is well-known in railways revenue circles exactly where the greatest densities of offenders are and which routes have the greatest fare evasion rates.

The one commonly held belief amongst Railways Revenue Management and the front line staff involved is supported by strong evidence and is that;

'those most likely to go out of their way to intend to avoid a fare are frequently those most able to pay.'

Edited by Old-CodJA

Incidentally, does the 5p in the permit to travel machine thing mean the gate staff have to accept the difference if the person gets caught, rather than issue a penalty fare?

Only if its the first opportunity you have had to exchange it for a ticket & its within 2 hours of issue.

Yes, laughingly called the 5p 'insurance certificate' amongst Revenue Staff.

As SRPO says accepted first time and within 2 hours, but if the traveller with a 5p permit does not have the with them acceptable means of payment of the remainer of the fare on demand at the time of travel, then that is a definite case for prosecution as many have found out.

Yes, laughingly called the 5p 'insurance certificate' amongst Revenue Staff.

As SRPO says accepted first time and within 2 hours, but if the traveller with a 5p permit does not have the with them acceptable means of payment of the remainer of the fare on demand at the time of travel, then that is a definite case for prosecution as many have found out.

Basically if you have any more coins, as ISTR Permit to travel machines do not take notes. If you put all your coinage in you've paid as much as possible. Sounds like you've seen it many times. I only asked as it'll clarify things on here for quite a lot of people. eg if your fare is £2.60 and you have a fiver and 60p, you put the 60p in the machine and then give the fiver to the conductor with the PTT. Happens a lot down here as many stations are those horrible chav infested prefabricated halts that no-one likes going from, and all that's there are Permit to travel machines. If you've ever travelled the West Coastway line you'll know what I mean

Edited by Mr. Kipling

Basically if you have any more coins, as ISTR Permit to travel machines do not take notes. If you put all your coinage in you've paid as much as possible. Sounds like you've seen it many times. I only asked as it'll clarify things on here for quite a lot of people. eg if your fare is £2.60 and you have a fiver and 60p, you put the 60p in the machine and then give the fiver to the conductor with the PTT. Happens a lot down here as many stations are those horrible chav infested prefabricated halts that no-one likes going from, and all that's there are Permit to travel machines. If you've ever travelled the West Coastway line you'll know what I mean

Spot-on, that's the procedure and yes, I know the route and believe me, most of the on train staff hate those stations as much as the vast majority of the travelling public.

Spot-on, that's the procedure and yes, I know the route and believe me, most of the on train staff hate those stations as much as the vast majority of the travelling public.

Lol I don't blame you. I came along it earlier today... I know Fishersgate station is in a section of line known as "Bomb Alley" due to the missiles thrown at trains near there.