Manchester Bus Lane Penalty - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just received a Bus Lane Penalty Charge Notice through the post this morning.

The letter has 2 images upon it showing me in the same position. Well, one indicating to move out of the Bus Lane, but both in the same position on the road.

I am usually really careful about bus lanes, but on that morning I was dropping my partner off to catch a bus she was late for.

I was in the bus lane for less than a minute and made sure I did not impede the motion of any buses and I parked up a good 70 yards before the bus stop.

The road is a three lane affair in the South of Manchester. So it was not really viable for me to park on the other side of the road.

I guess my question is are you aloud into a Bus lane for a very short period of time to drop someone off?

It is obvious from the pictures that I was not driving along the bus lane as both photos show me in the same position. With one of them showing my indicator light on to get out of the bus lane. It is also obvious that there are no buses/taxis behind me in the lane (you can see right down the road and no vehicles are present).

Probably grasping at straws here I know, it's just that it seems a little harsh to charge me 60 quid for quickly dropping someone off in a bus lane when it is obvious i was not causing an obstruction.

Any help on this much appreciated.

Thanks,

Micsten

You can pull directly in and then back out and only remain in the bus lane for as long as it takes to drop off/pick up, waiting for the passenger or travelling down the bus lane is an offence/contravention even if you did it to drop off/pick up.

Thanks for the response!

That's exactly what happened (Pulled in and back out as soon as possible).

So I guess I have a case. I will fill out the 'Details of Representations' stating what happened and see how I get on.

Thanks again for your input.

You can pull directly in and then back out and only remain in the bus lane for as long as it takes to drop off/pick up, waiting for the passenger or travelling down the bus lane is an offence/contravention even if you did it to drop off/pick up.

There is not provision for a private vehicle to drop/pick up passengers in a bus lane. In fact the only exemption for such a vehicle to enter a bus lane (during it's hour of operation and which obviously is fully compliant) is for the purpose of either tuning into or out of a junction which the bus lane crosses.

Your representation would be better made against any possible flaws in the bus lane itself (i.e.signage/markings ect) But by all means appeal if you wish.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

There is not provision for a private vehicle to drop/pick up passengers in a bus lane. In fact the only exemption for such a vehicle to enter a bus lane (during it's hour of operation and which obviously is fully compliant) is for the purpose of either tuning into or out of a junction which the bus lane crosses.

Not according to several Council websites, nottingham for example:

Bus Lane Frequently Asked Questions : Nottingham City Council

What is a good reason for driving in a bus lane?There are a small number of reasons when it is OK to drive in a bus lane during the time it is in operation. Among these are;

• when directed to do so by a police officer in uniform;
  • to avoid a collision or debris in the road;
  • to drop off or pick up a passenger;
  • to undertake a vehicle turning right (in this case ensure that the route back out of the bus lane is clear before undertaking);
  • To enter or exit a driveway to a roadside property.

In all cases it is expected that the stay in the bus lane is as brief as possible.

Your representation would be better made against any possible flaws in the bus lane itself (i.e.signage/markings ect) But by all means appeal if you wish.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Not necessarily, it depends on the bus lane. For example; can you pick up/drop off at a bus stop which has a 'no stopping except buses sign'?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

After looking into this a bit more in detail, it does appear that you can (depending on the location) drop off a passenger in a bus lane. so I apologise for my earlier post. Having said that, if the bus lane is on a red route then there is no such exemption. So, like I said earlier it does depend on the bus lane. In any event, if the OP was stationary for say in excess of 30 seconds, then this would be difficult to appeal.

Please Note

Thank you all for your input.

@sailor sam - If my understanding of a 'red route' is a bus lane with red tarmac, then in this case it wasn't one. So hopefully this is a positive towards a successful appeal.

I have submitted my appeal online via the council website today, I will post here as to whether my appeal was successful or not. Maybe it will help people in a similar situation in the future.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Edited by micsten

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I just received notification that my appeal was rejected. They gave this response:

In your letter you have explained that you stopped briefly to drop off a passenger.

I must advise you that it is not permitted to enter a bus lane to drop off or pick up passengers during the hours of operation of the bus lane.

I am satisfied that the penalty charge notice was correctly issued.

So I guess that is the rule in Manchester then.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I would still say you had a valid reason to appeal it further, if you are already beyond the discount period, or are prepared to risk it anyway. In that having located the Nottingham examples in Michael Browne's post above, IMO it is unreasonable to expect a motorist to know that you may enter a bus lane to drop off a passenger in Nottingham, but may not do so in Manchester.

• dx100uk changed the title to Manchester Bus Lane Penalty - Please Help