BREAKING NEWS – DVLA Loses In Court

lonerider
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We now have 227 complaints on the official WATCHDOG forum. The show that featured the DVLA.

Can I ask all members to post a comment here please.

BBC - Watchdog: DVLA in the dock

It is easy to do. The more complaints WATCHDOG gets from you boys and girls, I have been told there is a chance they will do another story.

I have posted my comment.

Please, really important you do this and please twitter, and spread the word. We are on a roll here but we need to keep this going strong.

Edited by lonerider

Remember the DVLA is a private company therefore every victim who has suffered considerable financial loss (car, job, their credit status etc) should band together & mount a group action against the DVLA for compensation.

I'm sure WD could recommend a law firm prepared to mount such an action

Jimbo5444

Thanks for that.

Ok, We now have 235 complaints on the Official watchdog programme, the show that featured the DVLA on the 27th May 2010.

Can I ask all members to continue sprading the word and post your complaints here

Its easy to do, the more complaints we get, i have been told there is a chance Watchdog will do another story.

Please, really important you do this and please twitter and spread the word. As I said we are on the roll but need to keep this strong and keep together.

Edited by lonerider

We now have over 240 complaints and counting. This is great news.

Please , can I ask that you keep the preasure up and post your complaint.

Please post your complaint here

Please spread the word.

245 complaints now!

For new people joining not wanting to read the whole thread this is why we are asking to people to post a complaint to Watchdogthe consumer programme that investigate wrong doings.

He posted his SORN application but then six months later he received a penalty for £80. The DVLA insisted they hadn't received Duncan's application and told him it was his responsibility to contact them when he didn't receive acknowledgement of receipt.

Duncan refused to back down and refused to pay the fine, so the DVLA took him to court. When the case was heard in March, the judge found in Duncan's favour saying the DVLA has no statutory power requiring anyone to contact them should they not receive an acknowledgment letter.

He won his court case, and because of national iterest it featured on Watchdog who basically exposed the DVLA. The story was first heard here take a read. DVLA Lose In Court

As you will see, The DVLA’s off-road notification system is a shambles: legally unenforceable and administrative chaos.

Please keep pposting your complaints, because I have been told there is a good chance Watchdog will do another story.

(1) Watchdog in an entertaiment show.

(2) Has gone away until the Autumn.

1 Watchdog is an entertainment show watched by a large audience which does actually make a difference in getting companies/government to clean up their act.

2 Watchdog returns in the autumn

;)

Guest Mrs Hobbit

DVLA lost my licence from overseas, when I sent it in to get a British Licence..Good thing I sent it recorded delivery and have a signature that it arrived in Swansea. I wonder if there is a too hard sonewhere, or is the paperwork as coasters for the tea cups????

it was resolved after many months, but what a stressful time and having to send overseas for a replacement of the original license..I doubt oif the original has seen light of day since me putting it in the envelope...

Oh yes definitely Watchdog, but I got the High Commission involved in my case.

1 Watchdog is an entertainment show watched by a large audience which does actually make a difference in getting companies/government to clean up their act.

2 Watchdog returns in the autumn

;)

(1) It's been running for how many years? And are you saying that is has been instrumental in resulting an any measurable change of policy by companies 'embarassed' by such exposure? (Bearing in mind how many mock-horror indignation stories they feature)?

Don't be fooled this is a consumer 'champion' we have people on CAG who say if TS won't help them, they'll "go to Watchdog". As if that is going to make a difference to their case? Sure, for those people actually featured, it MAY have a positive result - but then so does 'Make A Wish Foundation', and this isn't much different (and for those of you old enough to remember there's 'Jim'll Fix It).

(2) I thought I said that? More depressing window-dressing. Why does a 'reporter' need to go through all this nonsense of jumping on a motorbike and having a few Laurel & Hardy moments with an Eastern European with a bike licence before even starting the story?

Or better yet - setting up a 'surveillance' with an 'expert' on hand to comment on what happens 'as live' - this is SO contrived as to be either a waste or resources - why have two crews covering a single event - or if not, faking it by recording the 'expert's' opinion after the event, when they could do this anyway?

Then there's the interviews with those deemed responsible for whatever is complained of... there's been so much padding earlier in the program, they're always running out of time. as for the first minute the interviewee is always apologising if what happened cannot be challenged, leaving AR little opportunity to get indignant, then runs out of time and has to go to another story - or indeed the SAME one what was on previously, because they assume punters don't have a long attention span and they have to break it into 4 or more segments, with a catch-up to remond you what happened barely 10 minutes previously.

Consumer affairs? No more so than a fake auction I'm afraid.

Edited by buzby

I have to agree with most of what Buzby says here. Yes it brings to light the naughty way some companies do things, but has no real affect on anything.

Take last weeks about the motorised scooter, does anyone think that the company has now closed down and the boss become a monk, of course not, they are carrying on in exactly the same way they always have.

Has the HMRC become accountable to anyone? of course not and didn't in fact even admit to anything so was a non starter story and just a bit of docudrama entertainment.

How many times has parking and clamping companies been featured, has any of them changed their ways or closed down, has legislation been brought in to curb them - you betcha they haven't.

Long may the programme reign, and I enjoy watching it as it does make us aware, but the government aren't sitting watching and then making legislation changes.

The most important thing watchdog does is make people aware, and therefore less likely to fall foul of the many things featured.

It does make companies clean up their acts, granted moreso the more responsible ones when thay are getting something wrong, and government does relook once a minister has been embarressed by their departments ineptitude.

Yes it is an entertainment programme, no avoiding that, but it does allow a message to get out to the masses and can do a lot of good. It is one of the best methods of getting out the message available for things like this, and so should be encouraged for that good it does do.

The comment about it being back in the autumn is simply because these things at the DVLA will no doubt still be relevent then ;)

Prehaps it does... but then, having been running for some 38 YEARS (it started as a mini-feature within 'Nationwide') either people are incredibly naive, or the message isn't simply filtering through? Why on earth is it dressed up in the faux investigation yet does not follow through with being in the position to lodge a formal complaint with TBTB (like TS does).

First and foremost, this is entertainment - it is not an alternative resolution to satisfaction as often touted by supporters of the programme.

Edited by buzby

Even if it just makes someone stop and question what is happening before getting shafted, then surely it does some good.

Look at private parking tickets more and more people are questioning them and looking to the internet for help.

Any exposure of these companies is better than none at all IMO.

hello all:-)

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Maybe 'Get Dom' and let him investigate it, he seems to go to the source and hold them responsible not like Watchdog...

Even if it just makes someone stop and question what is happening before getting shafted, then surely it does some good.

Look at private parking tickets more and more people are questioning them and looking to the internet for help.

Any exposure of these companies is better than none at all IMO.

There is no doubt at all that it is educating people and that it has saved some, if not a lot, from entering into something that could turn out very expensive or worse.

You only have to look at the popularity of this, and other similar sites, to see that it is sinking in and consumers are far more aware of their rights than even just a few years ago, but Watchdog is only a small part of that education and we must keep pushing it until everyone is aware.

The internet has played a hugh part in helping people with all the regulations and legislation now available without having to go to Smiths to purchase publications.

Perhaps one day we might even get it into the school carriculum, now that really would be a good move.

The plan was to bring the DVLA into the limelight again. But this time we are playing it a little differently. So many people are being fined because the DVLA does not think the law applies to them. Well it does. People are winning their case. The DVLA are starting to make blunder after blunder. I have many meetings this year re the DVLA.

trust me, the letters I get from the DVLA, you might say that i have hit a nerve, and boy O boy there are signs within the Manangement that they are weekening. This is ongoing and things are changing.

All I ask is we keep this thread at the top, or sticky it? and complaints are posted on the Watchdog website. This is the bread and butter but its so important.

DVLA Lose In Court

As you will see, The DVLA’s off-road notification system is a shambles: legally unenforceable and administrative chaos.

Please keep pposting your complaints, because I have been told there is a good chance Watchdog will do another story.

I don't see much difference between "Watchdog" and "Don't Get Done, Get Dom" - they are both there as much for TV entertainment as they are for consumerism.

Mrs Hobbit - Did you seek compensation from DVLA for your out of pocket expenses or anything else as a result of their blunders.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Sadly they would not pay me for the pleasure of my inconvenience. But I bet my file is marked, 'one hard woman to deal with'.

You have the right to pursue this and, if they refuse to compensate for your reasonable expenses caused by their ineptitude, taking county court action against the DVLA would be relatively simple.

Send a claim letter, then an LBA, then file a N1 at court.

Sorry for the hijack, Lonerider. :o

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

You have the right to pursue this and, if they refuse to compensate for your reasonable expenses caused by their ineptitude, taking county court action against the DVLA would be relatively simple.

Send a claim letter, then an LBA, then file a N1 at court.

Sorry for the hijack, Lonerider. :o

That's the kind of hijack people like. :)