Prepay meter users rebate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:confused:Hi,havent been on here for a while but have posted a few times in last year,I got as far as sending SAR to EDF and eventually got sent a load of statements .Tbh couldnt understand a lot of what they sent so I left it and didnt pursue matters at that time.

Two weeks ago a man from EDF came and changed our meter as it was 9 years old and apparently dont work as efficiently when they are that old.

Now the strange thing is that since new meter been installed i am not having to charge the meter nearly as often! I have kept a record of what money i am now putting on the key.

Before meter was changed I was having to put around 15 to 20 pounds a week.Now its friday and since monday ive put in 5.00 and will have to put in some more later today.

I realize its not so cold now but i still have to use tumble dryer at times and nothing else has changed.

Is it possible because old meter was not efficient i was somehow having to use more electricity?

Should I tell edf or just be thankful I dont have to put so much on the key now,just wondering if i was paying too much in the past

another strange thing is that before meter was changed i noted how much electric was left and when new meter was installed i had around 2.00 more electric than before!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

milly

:confused:Hi,havent been on here for a while but have posted a few times in last year,I got as far as sending SAR to EDF and eventually got sent a load of statements .Tbh couldnt understand a lot of what they sent so I left it and didnt pursue matters at that time.

Two weeks ago a man from EDF came and changed our meter as it was 9 years old and apparently dont work as efficiently when they are that old.

Now the strange thing is that since new meter been installed i am not having to charge the meter nearly as often! I have kept a record of what money i am now putting on the key.

Before meter was changed I was having to put around 15 to 20 pounds a week.Now its friday and since monday ive put in 5.00 and will have to put in some more later today.

I realize its not so cold now but i still have to use tumble dryer at times and nothing else has changed.

Is it possible because old meter was not efficient i was somehow having to use more electricity?

Should I tell edf or just be thankful I dont have to put so much on the key now,just wondering if i was paying too much in the past

another strange thing is that before meter was changed i noted how much electric was left and when new meter was installed i had around 2.00 more electric than before!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

milly

get on to them and demand a refund.

i got back 8yrs worth of overcharging recently from bg electric.

same scenario

dx

Edited by dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

I did attempt to post a reply last week but for some reason I couldnt submit my post.

Very interested in your reply DX100uk.How did you go about asking bg electric for a refund? You say your circumstances were the same as mine,do you mean you had a new meter and suddenly your electricity costs were reduced?. I have been keeping a record and am now am only having to put 10.00 a week on key which is almost half the amount previously.

Nothing has changed regarding my usage since having new meter.

I want to persue this with edf so would appreciate your input .

thanks milly

right ok.

moved in 1994

prev tennants left me with a key meter, the supplier was powergen, suited me as we were on a tight budget anyhow.

ran with that till 1998 when a cold call from powergen resulted in a normal meter being fitted as were told it would be cheaper.

first bill appears after 3 mths, wow, alot more than we had ever paid on key for the same period.

argued got no-where, did not have time nor mental energy [special needs daughter 10yrs old..you can guess the rest]

summer was ok, but still a bit higher in cost.

round to winter again, bang big bills,

complained again, same outcome.

this went on for sev years till i got a bit of a respite in caring for my daughter as she had grown more self suffient, now its year 2000.

all through this i had been taking regular readings, sometimes better than daily, [infact my daughter helped!]

so went to town on them and eventually got them to agree to send round a calibration eng FOC [having wanted £85 every other time i had requested it]

they did their tests and also brought complete history of the account/meter with them on their laptop.

sadly the test showed +1% over read, well within industry limits.

but the guys were really helpful, and, being in the electronics trade, so not being totally ingnorant of how things work, we sat down and did some sums and worked some theories through, trying to explain what the heck was going on, why were the bills now so much greater than on key.

we discovered two things,

one,

there was a fault but probably intermittent and diff to prove,

and

two, the reads the meter readers had been taking were reversed [day/night], or so it seemed, because every bill on their electronic system on the laptop showed that the input operator at had over-ridden a 'not in expected range' error.

left me a ticket and a number to call.

called the number, had a very nice chap on the case for weeks, bills were all revised, got £702 back from powergen under the guise of swapped day/night readings [this was actually a fudge, but the guy was really nice, and agreed to do something for me]. hats off to him. sadly though he tried, could not sanction a meter change unless i wanted to pay £350!!

move fwd now to 2002 , i had purchased one of these wireless monitoring energy meters from maplins and in it was a dual fuel offer discount voucher from BG, as they were our card gas meter supplier,

i thought it was worth giving it a go. to dual fuel. yes got it, saves money...over i went.

issues with meter ofcourse still reared its ugly head when it played up by over reading, threats to cut me off etc etc,

same game with them, no joy in changing it - wanted £400 now.

sod it paid the bills always behind but got there in the end as money was a bit better.

2007 we had severe storms here, after the third loss [we are rather remote and fed by overhead wires in a densely forest-stated area] meter died, no power at all even though the farm across the way was on.

phoned the energency line, they came the next day and replaced the meter as all it was doing was flashing the display.

told the guy the story and could he contact mrs XXX at BG and let her know the meter has been replaced, so the old one could be tested for me.

about 10 days later, got a call from mrs XXX, yes we have tested the meter and agree it has been over reading by XX%, can you give me any reading you have taken over the years as they had lost them.

[giving readings was a task i had done numerous times during their several investigations by diff people/companies]

fwded this to her as a spreadsheet. and details from the wireless energy monitor which did the same.

got a letter back shortly after that saying that the readings i had taken and the log from the monitor exactly matched the % overread they found the meter was faulty by.

result!

got £1400ish refund by cheque from BG

contacted the nice guy at powergen, now ofcourse working in another debt, but he was very interested in the result.

later that week i got a £400ish refund from powergen.

there thats my story..........

HTH

dx

Edited by dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Posts moved, thread created . . thanks dx..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi,

Firstly I apologise for posting in wrong thread,my fault forgetting it was a sticky!

Thank you so much Dx100uk for your detailed reply,it made really interesting reading.

Where I may come unstuck is that I never kept any readings on the old meter,but its worth a try.

I will contact edf and ask them to check old meter although it was 2 weeks ago meter was changed I wonder if they have disposed of it by now {dont know what happens to old meters}

Knowing edf I have a battle ahead as it took them 4 months to sort out my subject access request!

I will get on to them today and post any developments on here.

thanks again ,

milly.