Sexual harassment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I'll try and be brief.

I work in the NHS in a male dominated department and have done so in this particular dept for 18 months after being promoted. I have worked for this organisation for 7 years. Last week a temp was taken on, I was out of the office working when he started and had the displeasure of being introduced to him last Thursday, where he immediately put me on my guard with his manner and lecherous behaviour. He commented that he had not been introduced to me as he 'sure would have remembered me'. Our departmental office is segregated into 3 parts, he at one end, me at the other but I do have to spend time in 'his' end to help others out around him. He comments on my clothes - saying they are nice, comments on my hair, whether it is up or down, invades my body space and generally gives me the heebies. He also comes into my office to 'talk' to me for any little thing which to me is unnecessary. Yesterday one of his colleagues, a permanent member of staff and a man, said he had something 'gross' to tell me, that every time I had been in the office this creep had said to the other men in there that 'he would do me'. I was outraged and felt violated, the guy that told me was taken aback and then emailed me to say he didn't want to cause trouble but that the creep had passed disgusting comments each time I had been into the area where he is, (which I have to do legitimately for work reasons).

I saw the head of dept this morning to complain formally, the guy is a contractor and therefore not difficult to fire and replace, I am very concerned however that this creep will still be in post tomorrow. I made it very clear to the 'boss' that this man made me feel like a victim, I felt intimidated and that I will no longer go into the area where he is etc etc. It was put forward that the boss speak to the creep and tell him in no uncertain terms that this has to stop otherwise they will let him go without a reference. I stated strongly that this was unacceptable and nothing short of firing this guy would appease me.

Not that it makes a difference but I am higher up the career ladder than this creep have never solicited his attention, have since Friday shied away from him, and never initiated conversation with him. I am not a prude and am well used to working with men. I can hand on heart say I do not feel that I am over reacting.

Boss wants to see me tomorrow and I honestly do not know how I will react if the creep is still there.

I have subsequently found out that this creep was fired from a previous NHS organisation after 3 women also complained about him and that he hung around outside work waiting for one of them.

I respect and admire my boss, he's a decent guy, but I refuse to budge on this issue. Women's intuition and all that, I do not want to be around this creep. Outside of work I feel better equipped to handle this situation, my role within the organisation makes me feel vulnerable as I cannot 'fight back' in the manner I would if this were not a work issue.

Any advice appreciated please

PS HR dept are a nightmare to get hold of, very much doubt they would see me tomorrow

Guest Old_andrew2018

No one should be place under this pressure, are you a member of one of the trade unions who might be able to support you. You might also look at your trust policy and procedure documents, or the ACAS web page covering Harassment http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=797

Edited by old_andrew2007
added link

Got to work this morning, went straight in to see the boss, after another sleepless night and the creep has not been dismissed. He was spoken to and warned not to do this again. The creep did not deny saying what he had been said but stated that some of the other men in his office were equally derogatory about women. I made my thoughts clear, and the boss said because he hadn't done anything overtly sexual infront of me he wasn't firing him. I asked how long this creep would be staying with us, to which the response was 'I don't know'. I reminded the boss about our policy on harrassment and that it was not encumbent on me to supply evidence, that harrassment was how it made the 'victim' feel. He also said that he had taken advice from HR ie dont bother going to HR as they won't do anything!

I have lost all respect for my boss and the organisation I work for. The more I think about it, the angrier I get for obvious reasons.

I feel like not going into the office until this guy is off the premises - I have the technology to work from home, but it's not ideal.

Hi Vikki. This sounds awful for you. I've worked in male environments, not usually the only woman, but things never got out of hand like this has.

Have you looked at the ACAS website? They have a certain amount of information and a confidential helpline that I think is there some of Saturday. And I would imagine the NHS has a policy on bullying and harassment - have you had a look at that?

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any more questions.

My best, HB

Edited by honeybee13
clarification

Illegitimi non carborundum

What a really nasty situation to find yourself in!

However, do not give up on this one, go directly to your HR manager with your concerns and insist that you are listened to. Raise a grievance as all companies have a duty to follow the right procedure for employees who have problems such as these. If you do it this way, they are legally bound to deal with your problem within a set period of time. What will make it worse for them is that all communication and actions will need to be recorded, therefore if they do not do anything or if they take inappropriate or ineffective action, it will all be on record and make them look worse. There are companies (big, small, private and public sectored) who will do as little as they can as quietly as they can to avoid confrontation, paperwork or activating the policies in place which are designed to protect both the victim and the employer.

On another note, the behaviour is completely inappropriate and you must take action to prevent anything more serious from happening. You mention he was previously dismissed for hanging around outside of work for other women, now I'm sure that's something that you can do without!

I know that it's very isolating to raise an issue like this, but the law is there to protect you from suffering from this kind of behaviour and environment, but you do have to be the person who kicks start it off. Once you have, there is no choice in whether something is done or not, you will be listened to and your grievance will be heard loud and clear, and like it or not, they will HAVE to do something about it.

YOU should speak to someone as high ranking as possible in the HR department, make your voice heard and be determied and strong, you have at least 5 CAG's behind you :D We'll all back your corner and give you strength, so bear it in mind, but don't let it drop - you are a woman, not an object and men such as the one in question need to be taught that it is not ok (it's ILLEGAL) to behave like he is and it is unacceptable. By taking a stand, you will make him feel 2 inches tall and you will be the stronger person.

(p.s. I am a bloke...!)

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post. I really am very touched... you know what it's like when you're really down and someone offers a helping hand and you just want to cry.

I'm still feeling at sixes and sevens this evening, and skipped a night out with some colleagues! I have however brought the grievance procedure home with me to look through over the weekend.

I can't thank you enough for trying to help and I know what you are saying is right. I am usually a fighter but this has really knocked the stuffing out of me.

Thanks again

V

x

Hi Vikki,

Having read the above posts, and i mostly agree with them BUT:

In addition to the above posts I would also urge you to be very careful before you take any action, as in my experiance , i have found that once an employee raises the flag of either race or sex discrimination the employee becomes a liability.[present and future]

I am not saying for one minute that your employer will take this view but the possibility is there.

It is easy to get rid of the victim than to waste company time ,money and reources on an investigation that is more than likely not going to go in your favour.regardless of what the truth of the matter is.

Lets face it no company big or small wants to accept that they have a, as you put it a `creep `working within their organisation.[a sexual harrasment problem]

How many times have you heard the term `swept under the carpet`? and why do you think that is ?

I think the way your boss has dealt with the matter so far, confirms to me the view your employer is going to take ,if you were to take this matter further.

One further point ,race and sex discrimination claims are very hard to prove and win and very very stressful.

I am in no way trying to put you off, I feel for you and i am only trying to give you another angle to consider.......I will be with you all the way on this.

Good luck.

Edited by madari

Hi Madari

That thought is firmly at the forefront of my mind. I am aware that my card is already potentially marked, but I am so outraged half of me is saying to myself 'bring it on'. I don't know if it makes a difference but I am a senior manager in there and do or did have some credibility. I have also worked in HR and the reps and managers know something of my work ethos and attitude ie I'm a grafter that doesn't usually complain but rolls with the punches. Fortunately, I am am update with their policies re harrassment and bullying as I attend their workshops annually in my managerial capacity. However, I am somewhat reluctant to persue this. When I left work last night I left the building alone and was waiting for public transport and I did feel very vulnerable, given that this guy has (so I have been told) approached and waited for one of the women he had intimidated at a previous organisation. Infact I left a little earlier as the 2 other guys in my office (theres just the 3 of us in our bit) left early because I felt vulnerable on my own.

Thanks for responding.

Hello Vikki. I can see why you're in two minds about this, but you may find that nothing changes if you don't initiate something. I would havae thought that if your life is made difficult because you pursue a legal right that it would be victimisation.

Have you looked at the ACAS and Equality and Human Rights Commission websites? They have quite a lot on this.

Please keep posting, we'll help as much as we can.

My best, HB x

Edited by honeybee13
typo

Greetings Vikki I cant add any more to the good advice you are already getting but can i just say if that is your photo pls get it removed

Good Luck and i hope this situation is put right for you

Regards PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Is this guy an employee on a temp contract, or just placed by an agency?

He's a temp from an agency and not subject to our disciplinary procedure and could be fired on the spot or given a few days notice. Boss does not want to do this.

can i just say if that is your photo pls get it removed

I have to remove the photo of myself? I will but I don't understand why. I'll put a picture of one of my dogs instead.

Thanks

He's a temp from an agency and not subject to our disciplinary procedure and could be fired on the spot or given a few days notice. Boss does not want to do this.

Well I don't understand what your employer is playing at then. There's absolutely no come back, they should just tell the guy to leave immediately.

I could understand management being reticent, though I certainly wouldn't condone them not taking action, if he was some long serving employee with a clean record.

Time to file a formal grievance. Will the other people who've witnessed this behaviour support you? You have the email from a colleague you mentioned in your OP.

Well I don't understand what your employer is playing at then. There's absolutely no come back, they should just tell the guy to leave immediately.

This is why I feel so let down.

I am going to spend some time tomorrow gathering my thoughts and reading through the grievance procedure, which I mailed to myself yesterday. Thank you again for responding.

Hi vikki,

If i was you ,i would discreetly go and seek advice from the police meanwhile keeping a low profile at work ,at least for the moment.

Tell the police your concerns,that you have a problem at work and need advice under the `Protection from harasment act 1997`

Good luck and keep us updated.

Vikki u dont have too but it is recommended as unfavourable people do pray on these boards it is best to post anon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I agree with Madari about the police. In fact, on or two of the websites I looked at recomment this.

Are you able to say how you found out the creep had caused trouble before, or do you have proof that you could show your employer or the forces of law and order?

How are you feeling today, btw?

HB

Hi there

Didn't sleep that well last night, so I know it's preying on my mind. I feel better than I did on Friday thank you for asking :) Trying not to think about tomorrow. Going to go out for a long walk with the dogs and blow the cobwebs away. I think your advice re the police is a very good one. My OH has asked if he wants me to knock him out, but that wouldn't solve the work situation, although pain is the only thing some of these cretins respond to, I guess that's a typical male response, bless him. I see what this week brings and whether any behaviours escalate. I will make sure I am not on my own in the office, and may go and work at another site more frequently than I currently do. I have some leave booked this and next week anyway so hopefully the next 2 weeks will pass without incident.

I was told about this creep's previous behaviour by one of our senior managers who worked at the same hospital at the time about 14 months ago. The other moot point is that we also have another manager (who reports to my boss) who was also at the previous hospital at the same time, whom this creep reported to and he was the one who set him on because he knew him??? Beggars belief, but the guy that took him on couldn't organise a drink in a brewery but that's another story.

Thank you again for your support, I really appreciate it, and I will keep you posted. You've all been really helpful and lovely!

• 1 month later...

Hi there

It wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, no further action was taken so I have put up and shut up. The person is still in that post, a few other things have occurred but I haven't taken it further. I feel my complaining has damaged relationships with a number of 'influential' people including the boss, as 98% of the people in the dept I work with are men, I feel to take things further will make matters worse and with no end result to justify the means.

Thanks for asking.

Depends very much on what you want to do with this now.

If the harassment is as bad as you say, and can be proved, there would be good grounds to go in the Employment Tribunal.

Payouts for Sexual Harassment are generally very good, and you could still work for the NHS, just be moved to a different department.