Sainsburys self checkout scam?

livingdeadguy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have a concern that i'd like to share with you all and i'd like others to try this as i think there may be a case here.

Basically, i shop at the Sainsburys store close to me quite often.

I have used the self checkout on a number of occasions but twice lately i have noticed a possible flaw!

As you all know, these supermarkets do the odd multibuy deal i.e. buy 2 pies for £2.00 insted of the normal £1.50 each.

Twice now when using the self checkout and scanning in the items, i have reached the total of items and the price for all the shopping. I have on these occasions noticed my shopping price to be higher than i expected. So you have the option then to press the back button to review your purchases. It is on doing this that my total price is suddenly reduced and it shows my multibuy savings. I then can proceed to the final checkout and pay this new figure.

What i am trying to say is this, if i had not pressed the back button i would have paid the higher price with no savings. It is only when you go back to review that it suddenly recalculates!!!

See what you all think, as i said its happened twice but i shall test the theory again this week.

Is it a flaw in their system or are they [causing problems] us, hoping we would not notice?

I'd like to see how others get on with this.

LDG

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

Guest Old_andrew2018

I had a similar problem with Tesco self service tills, the price seems higher however when I proceeded to pay the price was reduced the reduction shown at the end of the till receipt.

the discounts don't apply till you pay normally like any says.

nothing to worry about just the way they do it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

After testing lots in my local sainsbury's the amount is reduced on paying, yes you can see the real total by going back however after seeing this myself in the past I can confirm there is no overcharging.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I shall try this weekend without going back and reviewing the prices. See what happens.

Maybe its just my paranoia getting to me . Every penny counts :)

A & L PPI £395 WON

lol who said that?

A & L PPI £395 WON

I have pressed the pay button but the reductions have not been applied. this is the point when i back track. Possibly when i click the "method of payment" button it reduces?

A & L PPI £395 WON

Thanks for the feedback all of you. Its much appreciated and good to here things from another side.

LDG

A & L PPI £395 WON

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody,

I'm quite new to Uk, and I do not want to change the topic in a country to country comparison. Anyway...

today I was at Sainsbury's in Tooting Broadway (London) and on 4 "offers" like 2x3 2x5 etc...on fruit or meat...I had 4 SCAMS. I mean that I paid total price.

Well, honestly I didn't stop at the moment and I noticed this only when I went at home, but also my english neighbours confirmed that I was cammed, looking at the ticket.

Well, I am not in my country, but if this happens in mine, you can call the local police and they first of all must refund you, plus the police will check every offer of the day and compare with the tickets. For every offer "missed" the shop take enormous penalty. I personally think that in Sainsbury to miss 4 offers on 4, cannot be just that somebody "forgot".

Is there any law to protect the consumer, next time that I will notice this in the right moment...or I have just to behave like a sheep and even say thanks if they reduce the price as the offer.

Personally, I think that this is a Sainsbury's [problem] in great style. Imagine at least 1000 people per day take this offers ( must be more) and so 1 or 2 pounds per day...means 1000 - 2000 pounds...multiply for my same 4 offers....and we arrive to 8000 pounds easily .

The reply cannot be just...ooppps...we forgot...some local authority must check...or maybe when they check they "close" the eyes ?

i work for sainsburys and i always have people telling me that sainsburys is always over charging them and not taking the offers off and most of the time this is not the case because with the offers some people don't read them properly.

Do you remember what the offer was exactly because some offers people get mixed up and pick up an item that may be the same brand but that one might not be in the offer.