Argos Help Please

lighthousekeeper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5200 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I hope someone can help me please.

I bought a PC from Argos Direct last June 09, and it went wrong at Xmas, it kept going in to safe mode, so I phoned Argos and they arranged to have it sent off for repair (Fujitsu), it came back 5 days later and had a new problem (keeps blue screening for no reason). So I wrote a letter to Argos stating the sale of goods act etc..., as given to me by Consumer Direct, and they arote back saying they had spoken to the store (Newport Isle of Wight), and we were to take it back they as soon as possible to be sent off for repair), so last Sunday 14th Feb, we took it back there with a copy of the letter, and they refused to accept it saying they can't send it off for repair. I write back to Argos (tried to phone Computers are down there!), they phone on Tuesday saying we will get Technical to talk to you within 2 days, but have heard nothing. Have been without computer for nearly 2 months now, (am on sisters ), have sent all my letters to head office at Argos as getting no where with Customer Services, but it just gets passed back to them. I'm at my wits end, with phone calls and recorded delivery costs all adding up, I don't know how to solve it.

Sorry its long winded,

Thanks

I really wish that other stores would look up the consumers rights but oh well.

Send one letter to : Sara Weller (MD), 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW.

Complaining about the store, stating your statutory rights and complaining about the length of time it has taken to get this fixed. It would be worth including that you have been charged for costs, missed days work and mail delivery costs.

To save on costs SAYNOTO0870 lists Argos Direct number as 01785 710253, you can either try calling on that number, demanding a replacement ASAP as the item was sent back faulty, and due to the inconvenience. It might be worth stating that the Sales of Goods Act 1979 states that if a product is not repaired within a reasonable amount of time, without significant inconvenience then you the consumer have the right to a refund or replacement. You could otherwise put that in a letter.

If you want to go the letter route let me know, and I will link the relevant parts of the act.

On behalf of the people that do know what they are doing at Argos I sincerely apologise and I hope you get it sorted out soon.

//Please note signature

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I will write a draft up and have it up by tomorrow morning for you :)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Sorry writing one up now give me 10

Dear Sir / Madam

In June 2009 I purchased a PC from you via Argos Direct, over Christmas the PC developed a fault in which resulted in yourselves sending it off for repair.

On return of the PC the item is still faulty, on communication with customer services I was informed to take the PC back to your Newport, Isle of Wight store. After arriving at the store, they refused to take the product in to send of for repair. Again in touch with customer services I was informed that technical support would be in touch in which to date they have failed to do so.

It has now come to the point where the repair for this product has gone beyond a reasonable period of time, and additionally has caused significant inconvenience to myself, being shipped around stores, departments without success. Due to this, and fully within my statutory rights I require a [repair/refund] without further hesitation. This right is outlined in the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended) Section 48C and 48D.

This incident has now caused me countless amounts of time and cost, in letters, phone calls and travel expenses to the store. It is not acceptable that I should have so much hassle to solve this issue. In addition the lack of training of your staff in the Newport Isle of Wight store should be addressed; it is the retailers responsibility for all faulty goods; after your confirmation why did the store not accept the product in for a repair?

I expect a satisfactory response within 7 days, for a company of your size and stature I do not see this as a problem. Should this matter not be resolved by then; I will have no option but to take further legal action and report this incident to trading standards for a failure to honour my legal statutory rights.

Yours Faithfully

LightHouseKeeper

Delete the repair/refund bit as appropriate.

SOGA: http://www.johnantell.co.uk/SOGA1979.htm so You can see 48C/D

Edited by blitz

• 2 weeks later...

Contact trading standards informing them that Argos are refusing to uphold your statutory rights, give it a few days and then send a Letter Before Action (Will do a draft again for you)

• 2 weeks later...

No problem, glad you got it sorted out :) I apologise for some of the staff the company has on the roster, there are a few of us who know what we are doing.