• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Curious twist on two CCA requests-they are taking me to Court!

Laiste
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morgan Stanley try the same thing as stated in zubo's post- the charges are payed first out of the customers next payment.

Unfortunatley for them, they state the exact opposite on the T&Cs.

in any case, even if payments first went to clear any charges, this would mean that there was proportionately less paid off the credit balance, which would continue to attract interest at the contractual rate.

ie: You have a credit balance of £100 and you get a £30 charge for a late payment making credit balance £130.

You pay £50 off this, leaving you with a balance of £80 on which is being added interest at the contractual rate.

Had the unlawful charge not been levied, your credit balance would now only be £50.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noomill060 makes a very interesting point, they seem to have us all ways in terms of ingenious ways of making unlawful profits.

I am going to post up the charges and dates later. I presume from what Noomill060 has said, I need to detail the balance when each charge has been levied to get a full picture? What rate of interest is charged on charges, I assume it's not the purchase rate? Having been a naughty customer I imagine they will have thrown the book at us and charged an extortionate rate? Can someone clarify this for me.

I'll be back a bit later.

Regards,

Laiste.:)

Guest Battleaxe

Laiste,

I calculated my lot at the unauthorised interest rate, from the first unlawful charge. This gives me a bargaining base if they dispute this, so far they haven't

Hi Battleaxe,

I hope you're well and enjoying the w/end!:)

I am trying to determine what interest rate HFC would have used, of course any rate would be unfair, given that it's levied on unlawful charges, but I want to be as accurate as possible when I present my case to the Court.

The whole premise for doing this is simple, where an agreement is deemed an extortionate credit bargain, the Crt has the power to order that ALL sums paid under the agreement are repaid!;) I believe that charging interest on the charges amounts to an ECB, so I want to make full use of this argument. What I don't want to do though, is apply an interest rate that is grossly in excess of what they would have charged, which will open up my argument to ridicule/criticism, resulting in its meaning being lost and possibly dismissed! I want to pin them down on this and make them answerable for it!

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

It's been a while hasn't it? The case has been adjourned again, various things have gone on, following the tel hearing. Amended particulars of claim, defence and witness stmts have been submitted. At this rate this case will be concluded in 2020!:eek:

The arguments have got much lengthier and complex since this case began, as both sides battle to gain the advantage!

Thanks LookingforInfo, I have further submissions to make and I was considering unjust enrichment, as the extortionate credit bargain agrument, has been upheld in very few cases since 1974, which is pretty pathetic really!

I hope everyone's well and I will keep you posted!

Regards,

I think the trouble is that so many of the Extortionate Credit cases I have seen are where borrowers have been charged around 25-30% interest on

an unsecured loan and were poor credit risks to start with. Doomed to

failure almost.

However, you can always try and get two bites at the cherry by going for

the unjust enrichment first [which I think is the better bet] but carrying on to

say that if it is nut unjust enrichment, then it is extortionate credit-especially

if the interest is compounded.

Wow, I have spent a couple hours reading this thread..... they are making you suffer every step of the way... I will look forward to hearing how things go from here... Good Luck, I am so impressed with you ! I can tell how much knoweldge you have gained every step of the way...

xx

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

Subscribing reading with interest :D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

• 4 weeks later...

Hows it going Laiste?

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Hi Josie,

Thank you for your interest. I'm afraid I have nothing to report at the moment. I will certainly post back when there's some news.

Kind regards,

Well, your thread has taken me more than an hour to read from start to finish, and was more gripping than most thrillers I've read! I'm just waiting for the fairy-tale ending.

The sickening thing is that the sols get paid for writing letters (regardless of the outcome), the judge gets paid, the bosses of HFC get paid, but we all have to spend our free time fighting for justice.

Anyway, stick with it. Best of luck BB;)

Just read the whole thread amazing! I am at the beginning of this with EGG, Capital 1, Morganstanley, halifax CC, Lloyds CC, Although I have succesfully reclaimed my bank account charges last year with HSBC this is a tottally different kettle of fish and just starting to read up on it all it has given me hope that we can do something about these bullys, Laiste is truly amazing at what she has done so far well done Gold Stars!! and good luck in your Trial!

regards

Bandyandstrange

So Far:

HSBC Bank Charges Reclaimed Dec 2006 £950

Hi Laiste.

I just came across this thread this morning - and have just finished reading it now!

I can't believe you have helped so many people including myself, whilst all this has been going on! Are you a conjoined twin? :D

Good luck in your fight against HFC, but having seen your talents first hand, I doubt you'll need it!

Abbey - *SETTLED IN FULL!* ;)

-£445 refunded after one phonecall

HERE

Lloyds - Reclaiming Charges ***WON!***

-09/05/07 - Prelim delivered

-22/05/07 - LBA sent - no response

-11/07/07 - Filed at court

- 26/07/07 - Full settlement offer!!!! Donation made ;)

HERE

Next - Trying to Sue us with no agreement! :lol:

-29/06/07 - Defence filed

-16/08/07 - AQ filed

-19/09/07 - Claim struck out!! :p

HERE and continued HERE

PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES IF I'VE HELPED!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Laiste is an inspiration to all

Picks herself up everytime she falls

Amongst all the confusion and mayhem

She remains calm and is ready to slay them

Keep going Laiste , we all wish you well

On behalf of us all GO GIVE THEM ALL HELL :D subscribing

Hi guys,

Thanks ever so much for your positive and uplifting comments!:) It means a lot to me that people have taken the time the read this tome and offer support and encouragement!

I wasn't going to say anything until after the event, but just to let people know who have been following my thread, the trial is imminent. I'm not going to disclose any further details, (I have my reasons) but it's going to be one hell of a fight and I am more than ready for it!:D

It's time to put this matter to rest once and for all, so we'll see what happens......I'll report back after the David and Goliath encounter!;)

Many thanks to everyone who has offered support, wisdom and a sense of humour when mine had left the building!:rolleyes:

Regards to all,

Hi everyone,

Well I do have some news, that has amused me no end!

The trial date was set for the 17th September, however it's not going ahead now!:rolleyes: Yesterday we received a copy of an Application Notice filed by the Claimant's Solicitor basically seeking a stay of proceedings. The grounds they have sought the stay on are basically in relation to the OFT case set to be heard next year.

Penalty charges are no longer part of the sum they are claiming, that issue was dealt with by telephone hearing earlier this year, as some of you will recall! The issue centres upon our argument that penalty charges formed part of the sum claimed in the DN, and given that a DN must state the amount correctly, the inclusion of penalty charges rendered the DN unlawful. Obviously, the pending case will establish once and for all the legality or otherwise of penalty charges, but the argument they have raised is tenuous to say the least!:rolleyes: You have to ask the question, why, when they knew approximately 2 months ago (?) when the OFT case was adjourned and set for a further hearing, was an Application to stay proceedings not filed then... and left until a few days before trial? They must take us for complete idiots!

The answer is obvious to me, they were waiting to see if we would cave in and settle with them, scared of going to trial, (they wish) or file an Application Notice on some basis to have the trial adjourned. Had we done that, they would have vehemently objected to the Application, insisting that the trial proceed, because they would sense that we were not confident about our arguments and might lose.

However, we have made no Applications and neither have we been in touch with the solicitors at any time, we had no reason to, because we are ready to go to trial! I firmly believe they are getting very jittery about this case, particularly in view of the amount of damages we are seeking, so they really should be worried!;) They have filed this spurious application just a few days before the trial, one, to buy more time, whilst they decide what to do and two, because they think it will stress us out big time that the matter is not going to be resolved for another few months! If the latter point is part of their objective, they've failed miserably, because rather than irritate, annoy or stress us out, they are playing right into our hands and have certainly left us in doubt whatsoever that they know they have no case!

I was laughing as I read their Application, there is literally nothing they aren't prepared to do to avoid going to trial! This is the 3rd trial date that's been vacated, it's farcical! At the end of the day, if the agreement's unenforceable (which it is) any issues surrounding the DN are entirely superfluous to the case!

So as you've probably all gathered they got their stay! For reasons I can't go into, we have some surprises planned for HFC, which lets just say, will not make them happy bunnies at all! I will report back when we've sprung our surprises!

Whoever thought litigation could be so entertaining...!:)

Regards to all,

Laiste You may be aware that some lenders are no longer in possession of the original properly executed agreement & are 'reconstructing' agreements based on their recorded data in order to comply with consumers CCA requests.

They then, without admitting the reconstruction, proceed to enforce the debt using these reconstructed agreements

These unsigned reconstructed agreements are not valid for the purpose of recovery as a copy of the original 'signed' agreement is required should the debtor demand it before the debt can be enforced.

Therefore my question is have you, as a matter of course, challenged any such docs supplied by the creditor - if not you should