• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Curious twist on two CCA requests-they are taking me to Court!

Laiste
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am told that two days off alcohol will help save my liver but that could be a vicious lie just to stop the masses from enjoying too much wine. The team are the Rams - back to the top of the Championship (sorry Norwich fans!). Even better the Forest got beaten too (not sorry Forest fans - it was the mighty Doncaster for goodness sake!)

Sorry Laiste for hijacking, hope you are back in positive mode tomorrow

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told that two days off alcohol will help save my liver but that could be a vicious lie just to stop the masses from enjoying too much wine. The team are the Rams - back to the top of the Championship (sorry Norwich fans!). Even better the Forest got beaten too (not sorry Forest fans - it was the mighty Doncaster for goodness sake!)

Sorry Laiste for hijacking, hope you are back in positive mode tomorrow

It SO is a vicious lie! I recommend taking a tablet of Milk Thistle every day, apparently it "supports" the liver, that throws up an odd picture!!!! I doubt anything could support mine, it's like an old boot I shouldn't wonder!! I like several hundred bottles of wine at the weekend!:eek:

Oh dear, I'm afraid I support the Arsenal, but well done anyway!

Yes, apologies Laiste for hijacking thread, mind you, a little light banter never hurt anybody!

Onwards and upwards!!:D

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi Guys,

I am so heartened by your comments! This is just a battle, it's not the war!:D I can be a bit hot headed where injustice is concerned, but after due consideration of all the facts I generally reach a reasoned conclusion/decison! The wine is helping in that regard!:p If we were all close geographically I would have organised an alcohol induced celebration/commiseration gathering!:) We could then have bitched about HFC and every other company till hell froze over!

For momentary depression, homemade mexican enchiladas is excellent, so if any of you are in the area, drop round in about 1hour 30 mins for

some!;) I'll have the wine chilled waiting for you also!!!

Laiste.:)

Subscribing to thread - keep going Laiste, you're an inspiration.

Corn... a fellow G:) :) NER! Fingers crossed (n everything else) 4 tomorrow!

Don't worry, I don't think any of you are hijacking my thread at all, feel free to say whatever! I think levity is required given the news today!:rolleyes: Talk about liver disease at will.....! ;)

Subscribing to thread - keep going Laiste, you're an inspiration.

Corn... a fellow G:) :) NER! Fingers crossed (n everything else) 4 tomorrow!

LOL! KJD!! Quite!!! I will be passing the Emirates on the train into work tomorrow, so will give them a wave from you!:)

Laiste, enjoy your enchilladas! Tomorrow's another day girl!!:D

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Cornucopia, wave to me too, I live close to the mighty Emirates. KJD, who Goons wins! (With thanks to Laiste for allowing this brief hijack).

Back to business. From the other side's perspective they can hardly be out on the champers tonight. They've been told (if I understand things properly) that they're not getting costs. I think that's significant, so all they've really achieved for certain today, is the right to take a case to trial.

Regards

Lantana

Cornucopia, wave to me too, I live close to the mighty Emirates. KJD, who Goons wins! (With thanks to Laiste for allowing this brief hijack).

Back to business. From the other side's perspective they can hardly be out on the champers tonight. They've been told (if I understand things properly) that they're not getting costs. I think that's significant, so all they've really achieved for certain today, is the right to take a case to trial.

Regards

Lantana

Oh what a small world! My Aunt lives off Blackstock Road in Highbury by Joan of Arc School and I bloody hate going through Drayton Park, the lights always go out on the train, but because we're British, we steadfastly continue to read our books and papers in the dark without flinching! LOL!:rolleyes:

However, I will wave at you too Lantana!!

And.....as you say....back to business, I personally think that their loss of costs is a significant victory for the consumer. Who thinks they will withdraw prior to the trial?

HSBC - Settled.

Tesco - SAR issued.

I know Blackstock Road, I ate a kebab from a shop there once and I know Joan of Arc school too, and not forgeting the church!

I think there's a chance they'll pull out but let's not count on that. Laiste, review the Egg defence. I suspect Egg quit for a number of factors (charges, ppi etc.), but there may be some nuggets in that paperwork. Have you mentioned s85 at all?

Regards

Lantana

Doubt the "legibility issue" will have any effect whatsoever.

If they show that you were a party to an agreement, in that you paid sums to them, or recieved sums from them, they will have shown on the "balance of probabilities" that you entered into a contract with them.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

Doubt the "legibility issue" will have any effect whatsoever.

If they show that you were a party to an agreement, in that you paid sums to them, or recieved sums from them, they will have shown on the "balance of probabilities" that you entered into a contract with them.

It's a specific part of the Consumer Credit Act hence the reason it's included in this argument. The balance of probabilities argument applies to most contracts but is specifically overridden where the contract is caught by CCA

I agree with joneshousehold. The balance of probabilities can easily show monies were advanced - but on what basis?

Regards

Lantana

Actually Lantana I think the Courts can construct a contract in most cases from the actions of the parties so normally the using of a card or borrowing of money would constitute an agreement. This is because contracts do not normally have to be written but can be verbal or implied. If you agree to buy something and give the money, there is no written contract but your actions have shown the agreement was in existence. With consumer credit contracts however the Act is very specific - the agreement must be in writing, must have certain specified information in the specified form, must be legible etc etc, providing that agreement is within the terms of the Act (and I think this is known as a regulated agreement and is usually for credit between £50 and £25,000 although I think the limits are changing or have changed). It in fact overrides the normal contract law in those respects.

I suspect that a company credit card account rather than one held by an individual does not have the protection of the CCA and so a contract could be established in court by the actions of the parties.

Sorry if you knew this already, I wanted to make sure StormWarrior was clear about what we meant.

the narkiness of the judge might relate to the increase in numbers of people fighting back and his having to spend time on stuff which previously went through a rubber stamp exercise -A natural human reaction. Properly constructed argument based on statute will prevail There is less room for manouver for HFC and the sytem under the CCA than if merely relying on common law principles so the outcome should be less capricious and if it is more open to argument

Ack, sorry to hear you lost that battle Laiste, but you've not lost the war - onwards and upwards, up & at 'em at the next hearing :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify some points in relation to the agreement. I requested it last year and from what I recall (without checking paperwork) they were two months late in providing it.

What they furnished was an application form, 90% of the details of which are unreadable. They also sent completely unreadable t&c's, to accompany the app form. Do bear in mind that when this process started I knew a lot less than I do now!:eek: In terms of form and content, the application does not conform to the requirements of the Act and the regulations made under the Act.

Given that the claimants will be filing an amended counter-claim and defence, we are also doing the same. So I will be able to include the details re form and content that weren't included 1st time round. There is no way on earth the app form is going to pass itself off as the agreement!

Regards,

Guest willowb

Subscribed....you are an inspiration Laiste! it was a pleasure reading your thread, thank you:) .

Sorry about the set back you had re the CCA issue, it sounds like you were fighting a losing battle from what I can gather about the Judge's attitude! You certainly gave it your best shot and for such an intelligent and confident person, I'm suprised that it went that way.

Positive thoughts for the next time! you can do no more than your best and your best seems much more than good enough;)

Well done

Wxxxx

Hi Karnevil,

I have spent many hours (aren't I lucky) studying the requirements for running account credit agreements, so I know categorically that the app form in no way conforms to the legal requirements of the CCA. I was simply saying that when this all started I was a lot less knowledgeable than I am now. I have no idea as yet what their amended claim will say.

Regards,

Hi Willowb,

Thank you for your really lovely comments, they are really appreciated!:)

Not getting their case chucked out was a set back, but after a lot of wine on Tues evening and a hangover yesterday, we're back on track! We are still ruminating over an appeal, so we may well be revisiting this issue....I'll keep you posted!;)

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, it's like a soap opera, isn't it? Thanks for taking the time to read the thread, it takes a while......!:eek:

Regards,

Hi Karnevil,

I am somewhat baffled by your post. Where did you glean the impression that I am just going to trial over the enforceability of the contract? To the best of my recollection I have never said that's the only issue. The Judge made comments to the effect that it is only the enforceability point that is at issue, which isn't actually true anyway. He erred in his comments as there are a variety of matters to be settled, not least of which was HFC's right to terminate the contract having issued a Default Notice which contained penalty charges, which made it legally invalid.

The illegible application form is by no means a minor issue. If I only had that matter to go to Court over I wouldn't be fretting. An application form is never going to stand up as the agreement! Even if hypothetically it did, how are they going to prove what has been agreed and with whom, when you can't read it? That would be a good trick if they could pull it

off!;)

Regards,

Greetings,

Insist on seeing the original agreement in court, do not accept a copy.

I think the way it works is....

1) Is there a properly executed agreement (with reference to the original) under the act and containing all prescribed terms, YES or NO?

2) If NO, then under 'old boy network' (OBN) rules HFC get a second bite at the cherry. Here the judge can find an improperly executed agreement to be valid; has Laiste signed a document with an interest rate, a credit limit (or how one might be determined), and a repayment schedule. If all three are present on a signed document that will satisfy many Judges.

3) No agreement, case closed.

4) If he finds an agreement compliant under the act, has it been breached, YES or NO?

Here I'd look to argue s78, s85, s87 etc., and was there any reference to charges on the signed agreement (not in the T&C's)?

However the Judge at this point may well be thinking it's time for his tea and sticky's in their Lordships common room, so his mind will be substantially made up.

This is where clever and frequent (but not too frequent) use of the word 'appeal' needs to be used during verbals. IMHO, nothing is more likely to keep a career minded junior Judge more interested in a case than the realistic prospect of being appealed by a tenacious litigant - if he get's it wrong. This fear probably keeps some of them awake at night!

5) If he finds an agreement, but not one complying under the act, I think he has a fair bit of discretion but should take into account who's fault and why the agreement is 'non compliant' - it could go either way, or half way.

Remember, when thrown the 'gauntlet' of court action, don't make it easy for the Judge to find against you. That said, if they have an original that complies with 1) or 2) above I'd definitely be interested in negotiations.

JMHO

Regards

Lantana

PS I can't believe I've been a CAGer for just over a month now, and written less than 150 posts and yet can come out with stuff like this!