• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Curious twist on two CCA requests-they are taking me to Court!

Laiste
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, how do you find out if someone has an original agreement, and I was of the understanding that microfiched copies were admissible?

I would be very surprised to hear that microfiche is not allowed....

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's admissable unless you dispute it, then the Judge can decide.

Many cases are won by claimants because the respondent doesn't ask for the original and simply accepts the microfiche / photocopy etc. I think not being able to read the copy is perfectly reasonable grounds for insisting on the original.

Personally and regardless of legibility, I'd insist that it's my right to see the original - I'm not standing for guilt by photocopy! There must be something here under human rights legislation.

JMHO

Regards

Lantana

• 3 weeks later...

Any news Laiste?

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

OK, how do you find out if someone has an original agreement, and I was of the understanding that microfiched copies were admissible?

I would be very surprised to hear that microfiche is not allowed....

They are not as follows:

The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order. The second type of case concerns failure to comply with the duty to supply a copy of an executed or unexecuted agreement pursuant to sections 62 and 63, or failure to comply with the duty to give notice of cancellation rights in accordance with section 64(1). Here again, subject to one exception regarding sections 62 and 63, section 127(4) precludes the court from making an enforcement order.

Section 65(1) provides that an improperly executed agreement shall be enforceable only "on an order of the court." Section 127 gives the court power to make orders for the enforcement of agreements that are, for various reasons, improperly executed. But subsection (3) provides that a court shall not make an enforcement order for an agreement that does not comply with section 61(1)(a) unless the debtor signed a document containing "all the prescribed terms."

• Haha 1

Joncris

Thanks for your post but I don't see how it addresses m55's question, namely the admissability of microfiche (or am I having a thicky moment).

Personally I always assumed it's my right to see the original (in court), but many cases are won by creditors because the defendant doesn't assert his / her right, and blindly accepts a microfiche copy.

Regards

Lantana

hi laiste

first of all i must say how annoyed i am you kept me up untill 2.30 am last night reading this thread lol :D

i must say i am disgusted at how the courts have treated you and has clearly no respect for anyone who follows court procedure correctly, completely the opposite actually!!

please keep on fighting you are doing a wonderful job and i cant believe how quickly you have got your head round all this and i admire your courage!

this thread will be an inspiration to everyone who is or are thinking about taking on these people well done:)

nationwide settled in full 7/06/2007

yorkshire bank settled in full 15/06/2007

capital one filed at court 06/06/2007 acknowledged 15/6 defence received 30/6 AQ sent 2/7 with application for summary judgement--hearing date 18 sept foe defence to be struck out

cahoot filed at court 25/06/2007 to acknowledge default judgement granted 27/06###won###settled in full

HBOS filed at court acknowledged 20/06/2007 default judgement granted 16th july so won

Hi Voyager,

It is very remiss of me I know, to keep people up way past their bedtime reading the tome that is the case with HFC and previously Egg!:rolleyes: I appreciate your support and many thanks for boring yourself witless reading my innumerable wafflings...!

There is nothing to report really other than I will be filing my very lengthy amended defence on the 3rd April. I decided not to file an appeal of the Judge's decisions in the telephone hearing. I had a long think about it and I am confident in the arguments I have without the penalty charges being an issue. There is also the the time factor. I am helping quite a few people not just on this site, who are in difficult situations, so I just took the view that I would go to trial with what I have. I hope I don't live to regret that decision!:o

Lantana, with regard to agreements, I would say that companies for the most part produce whatever agreement they have, when its requested. They cannot just turn up at Crt on the day of the trial with said document! Paperwork that a party intends to rely on at trial is submitted long before the trial itself. Besides which, hypothetically, if a creditor did turn up with an agreement, the debtor should seek an adjournment to have time to consider the new information. The CPR removes that element of surprise that parties would have taken advantage of prior to its introduction.

Can I post up details of books to help people and the website regarding where to get them? Perhaps a mod can answer. In particular, the changes to the CCA 1974, is something that everyone will need to be au fait with and are covered in a very helpful book that I use. Do bear in mind however, that these books are not cheap, but then again no law texts are!:eek:

Regards to all!

Laiste.:)

laiste

same here if you dont get permission please pm me the details thanks

good look!:)

nationwide settled in full 7/06/2007

yorkshire bank settled in full 15/06/2007

capital one filed at court 06/06/2007 acknowledged 15/6 defence received 30/6 AQ sent 2/7 with application for summary judgement--hearing date 18 sept foe defence to be struck out

cahoot filed at court 25/06/2007 to acknowledge default judgement granted 27/06###won###settled in full

HBOS filed at court acknowledged 20/06/2007 default judgement granted 16th july so won

Laiste

I caught a flavour of some of your arguments in the last few posts. I am tired - too much drink - so need sleep and to be sober to soak up your thread.

Looks very interesting.

btw, if anybody knows why a CCA failed request after 30 days is punishable by £2,500 or 3 months imprisonment - can they let me know their source.

Thanks

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because it's a criminal offence which upon conviction must carry a fine and/or imprisoment which in turn is set by statute

JC

yes but where does it stipulate the type of offence and likely punishment - the Act does not cover this detail - more to the point I dont understand s167

where are the modes columns in Schedule 1 it refers to??

Laiste,

I have complimented your skills in a seperate thread - keep this standard up and your strength up, you know you have justice on your side - even though some (probably jaded) judge cannot follow your approach and logic. Judges like this do not appear to be unbiased and I would certainly complain about him to the judiciary, and is it possible to request an assessment of the correctness of his direction of the case and get the case transferred to another judge?

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest Battleaxe
JC

yes but where does it stipulate the type of offence and likely punishment - the Act does not cover this detail - more to the point I dont understand s167

where are the modes columns in Schedule 1 it refers to??

Laiste,

I have complimented your skills in a seperate thread - keep this standard up and your strength up, you know you have justice on your side - even though some (probably jaded) judge cannot follow your approach and logic. Judges like this do not appear to be unbiased and I would certainly complain about him to the judiciary, and is it possible to request an assessment of the correctness of his direction of the case and get the case transferred to another judge?

Z

Here you go Zubo Standard scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's section 17 of the Criminal Justice Act 1991

Hi to all,

I have a couple of Q's to pose, so as ever feel free to comment/give advice!

Even though the penalty charges were taken off the amount outstanding, the interest wasn't. As part of my (lengthy) argument, I am going to contend that such interest amounts to an extortionate credit bargain, because you cannot levy interest on unlawful charges. Invoking the ECB argument may persuade the Judge to set aside the agreement and also force HFC to repay monies. These are options available to the Judge under s137.:D

What I want to know is how do I find out what interest has been charged on the charges and how do I work it out? Maths really isn't my strong suit, so if there's an idiot's way of working it out, that would be

appreciated!:rolleyes:

Thanks Zubo for your positive comments and complimenting me elsewhere, I thought my laptop's ears were burning!;)

Regards,

You could perhaps try using Vampiresses spreadsheet and alter the formula to reflect the interest rate charged by the creditor. The formula on the spreadsheet includes the figure 0.00022 which is 8% divided by 365 as it calculated interest on the number of days. Simply find out the interest rate used (it should be shown on a statement I think) and apply the calculation in the same way. 1 x ??% then divide by 365. The result is put into the formula to replace 0.00022.

If you are still not sure tell me the rate and I will let you know the resulting figure. If you have lots of rates then use the highest

You could perhaps try using Vampiresses spreadsheet and alter the formula to reflect the interest rate charged by the creditor. The formula on the spreadsheet includes the figure 0.00022 which is 8% divided by 365 as it calculated interest on the number of days. Simply find out the interest rate used (it should be shown on a statement I think) and apply the calculation in the same way. 1 x ??% then divide by 365. The result is put into the formula to replace 0.00022.

If you are still not sure tell me the rate and I will let you know the resulting figure. If you have lots of rates then use the highest

Laiste

As an ex Maths teacher let me try to explain simply how I do it:

It is better to use one interest rate for all charges.

Basically a cell on the spreadsheet contains the daily interest rate derived from 8%pa.

Another cell contains todays date.

For Each charge we use todays date - the date of the charge to work out how many days has elapsed since the charge was applied.

Then that is multiplied by the daily interest rate to give the total interest you are claiming back for that single transaction.

Add them all up and you have the total interest you require.

Whenever you wish to revisit your claim, just change the cell containing todays date and you have a new total.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Laiste

As an ex Maths teacher let me try to explain simply how I do it:

It is better to use one interest rate for all charges.

Basically a cell on the spreadsheet contains the daily interest rate derived from 8%pa.

Another cell contains todays date.

For Each charge we use todays date - the date of the charge to work out how many days has elapsed since the charge was applied.

Then that is multiplied by the daily interest rate to give the total interest you are claiming back for that single transaction.

Add them all up and you have the total interest you require.

Whenever you wish to revisit your claim, just change the cell containing todays date and you have a new total.

Z

It's not as simple as that. If you have an interest rate of 25%, say, the second month also has interest of 25% charged on the interest charged. Where are you putting the compound interest into this equation?

Following on from a couple of recent posts, the CCP are beginning to state that funds are allocated towards paying off charges first so there is no interest generated on charges - so applying interest of anything other than the 8% may become a mute point

It's not as simple as that. If you have an interest rate of 25%, say, the second month also has interest of 25% charged on the interest charged. Where are you putting the compound interest into this equation?

Following on from a couple of recent posts, the CCP are beginning to state that funds are allocated towards paying off charges first so there is no interest generated on charges - so applying interest of anything other than the 8% may become a mute point

m55

you last point first - exactly how I see it.

first point = valid comment - thanks for spotting it - brain not engaged - I was explaining simple interest not compounded.

Laise - send me or Jones the details pmd and we will give you a spreadsheet to use.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

M, I am wondering if you are referring to my letter from Goldfish in which they state exactly that, however, I would ask them to prove it. I can't see anything in my statements that shows that the charges haven't attracted interest. I think this is an attempt to avoid paying interest. I am certainly not accepting this.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Laiste, just wanted to clear this up!

M, am v.fired up about MBNA, Pers has posted something interesting on my thread - have a look, it applies to you too! x

CLICK ON THE SCALES IF YOU THINK I HAVE HELPED!

I AM NOT SCARED ANYMORE!:rolleyes:

MBNA - To quote "The Carpenters", We've Only Just Begun..................;):D

HSBC - Settled.

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Goldfish - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) issued.

Tesco - SAR issued.

Hi everyone!

I appreciate everybody's contribution re the interest calculation. Maths has always been a subject I have real difficulty getting to grips with! Law, not a problem, maths....well, what I say?!!!!:???:

I am going to go through the stmts from HFC a bit later. Would it be a good idea if I post on here the dates and amounts of charges and I presume the interest rate applicable for purchases at the time the charge(s) was levied? Or is there a higher rate charged, that I should be looking for given that the interest has been charged on a charge?

Cornucopia, it's fine, I don't think you're hijacking at all! Very often you can only illustrate a point by explaining your own circumstances, which really is fine!:)

Regards,

Hi everyone!

I appreciate everybody's contribution re the interest calculation. Maths has always been a subject I have real difficulty getting to grips with! Law, not a problem, maths....well, what I say?!!!!:???:

I am going to go through the stmts from HFC a bit later. Would it be a good idea if I post on here the dates and amounts of charges and I presume the interest rate applicable for purchases at the time the charge(s) was levied? Or is there a higher rate charged, that I should be looking for given that the interest has been charged on a charge?

Cornucopia, it's fine, I don't think you're hijacking at all! Very often you can only illustrate a point by explaining your own circumstances, which really is fine!:)

Regards,

Do just that Laiste and we will see who comes up with the biggest (correct) number.

Z

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]