A quick question about Office 2007

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am rubbish at it:mad:

I have opened up my CV as a word document and want to make alterations.

Each time I press enter, it leaves too much of a gap between lines. I just want all the lines to stay together like this. If I want more of a space, then I can just press enter a couple of times can't I?

I

Don't

Want

It

This

Many thanks.:)

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Sounds like it might be a paragraphing or line spacing issue.

For paragraphing, try highlighting the paragraph to format in Word 2007. Using the mouse, drag the cursor over the entire paragraph to format the paragraph. Access the paragraph formatting menu by right clicking the mouse. Once the paragraph is selected, right click the mouse and choose "Paragraph" from the right click menu.

Make the necessary change to the paragraphs format in the paragraph dialogue box. There should be two tabs available: one is the "Indents and Spacing" tab and the other is the "Line and Page Breaks" tab. Use these tabs to make the necessary paragraph formatting changes.

For spacing, try clicking on the line spacing button on the ribbon:

paragraph_thumb1.png

and choose your line spacing.

In general, if you must use M$ Office, and you really don't have to you know, then roll back to 2003. It's still, despite its age, one of the most popular Office suites for a reason. Well, several reasons actually, but I won't bore you with the techy details :D

Alternatively, might I suggest the Open Office project? Free, fast and functional.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

Thanks Tez, the problem I'm having is when I open the document from Monster.co.uk, it says that....

This file was created by a newer version of Microsoft Office Word and a converter is needed to open it. Do you want to download the converter from the Microsoft Office web site?

When I try to download the converter, it opens, but I can't stop it from leaving a 1 inch gap between lines.

Monster.co.uk only gives me the option to download my CV as Office 2003 (which I don't think I have), Office 2007 (which I have but I don't think I can install updates as I don't think it is a genuine copy of Office 2007 "If you know what I mean:cool:"). Or as an RTF (but I aint got a Scooby what that is????).

The Rich Text Format (often abbreviated RTF) is a document file format developed by Microsoft in 1987 for cross-platform document interchange.

but not if you've got a dodgy version of Office!!;)

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

This file was created by a newer version of Microsoft Office Word and a converter is needed to open it. Do you want to download the converter from the Microsoft Office web site?

Indeed. Micro$oft changed its default proprietary file format in 2007 from . to .x (so the default is now .docx, .xlsx, and so on). This forced people to 'upgrade' to the newer version if they wanted to read its default files. Much like the abortion that was Vista, the public lost no time in telling Micro$oft what they thought of this, with the result that the company quickly released the Microsoft Compatability Patch that allows 2003 to read default file formats from 2007. The patch is perfectly safe to install, and will allow you to convert .x formats back into proper . formats.

RTF stands for Rich Text Format. It's basically a cut-down version of the same document, but without many of the formatting bells and whistles.

Actually, you could cut the thing down further by downloading the document and opening it in Notepad, then saving it out again. This will 'sanitise' the text, in that it will strip out all the formatting and layout junk that Word wants to put in.

I'd never advocate any wrongdoing against M$, of course, but if you manage to 'find' a copy of Office 2003, I'd seriously suggest rolling back to that.

***EDIT*** Mods, could you move this thread to the Technical Computer/IT/Console/SatNav Questions section where it belongs, please?

Edited by Tezcatlipoca
Move request

***EDIT*** Mods, could you move this thread to the Technical Computer/IT/Console/SatNav Questions section where it belongs, please?

Tez hit the triangle :)

A-Z Index

HOW NOT TO CLAIM...Click here!

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

.please remember that any advice i give is purely my own experience or opinion thankyou

I thought it best in the Bear Garden as it's not really that technical. There will be more people here reading it that use the program itself than there will be in the IT/Techy forum.

When Word is open, go to page layout and adjust the numbers in the box to zero, its under the paragraph section, that's how i get rid of the spacing.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

You can save the document as so it works as a Word 97-2003 file. Click on the office button then save as, then 97-2003 document. It should then save it as a compatable document that you can open with older versions of Word.

Give it a shot but i wont guarantee it will work.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool: