Can i get details on logbook changed?

dr fox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought car 3 weeks ago and dealer showed me the logbook showing 2 owners. The v5 came back today showing 4 previous owners.

When i hpi checked the car it was showing finance owing to British credit trust so i called them and they confirmed that the finance had been settled.

The logbook shows British credit finance as the most recent keeper. 3 weeks before i bought it. So the way im thinking is that they repossessed the car and put it into their name.

Called the dealer and he says that when they bought the car the logbook stated 2 owners so its not a fault on their part.

Not a major problem but when coming to sell next year the car will then have 5 previous owners- not a great selling tool.

Why would a finance company register in their name after repossessing?

what does the dealer mean it's not his fault...

either he's sold a car that's been repossessed, and wasn't his to sell.

or he's been authorised to sell the car by the finance company who did repossess, and has shown you a V5 that he knows is old and inaccurate.

An extra couple of owners isn't a good selling point for you, nor is it a good selling point for the dealer that just sold it to you.

question, would you have bought it, and paid as much for it if you'd have known that there were four previous owners, not just 2?

It remains irrelevant - the number of Keepers is no indication as to the number of owners (or indeed drivers). I would think getting a printoute of ALL the RKs (on request from DVLA) would allow you to hilight those who actually HAD the vehicle. People MAY assume that the number of Keepers equals owners, but it does not.

Update:

Emailed Dvla and they have stated that i need to return the v5 to them with a covering letter stating my reasons.

Ive bought a repo at auction before and its never in the finance companies name. So dont know the reason why they done it.

Emailed British credit trust but no reply as yet.

The only thing that bothers me is that the less owners on the book the better for selling. Happy with the car.

Thanx for replies.