what bank staff may tell you!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just thought I'd let you know, I was discussing this site with a few friends tonight, and one of them (who works for a bank - I just found out) told me not to bother - as the ONE person who received their money back only got it on a technicality. They also told me I would be charged £3 per statement I requested. They said I could only be refunded if it was not my fault I went overdrawn (for example, if the money was paid in a little late). I think it was to defer me from claiming what is rightfully mine, but I have received a letter from the Halifax today to say my statements are on the way and they have debited the £5 charge (for the complete set). I wrote to my local branch on March 13th requesting them.

The banks will all know what's going on now, and have obviously briefed their staff on how to handle it!

I will keep you posted on my progress. Reckon I could be owed about £600 altogether. Paid £150 in charges alone this January.

Thankyou for having the thoughfulness to help us all along the way. We do appreciate this site!!!! :D

Obviously, the banks are now briefing their staff (incorrectly). You know better. Keep at it.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I was discussing this site with a few friends tonight, and one of them (who works for a bank - I just found out) told me not to bother - as the ONE person who received their money back only got it on a technicality. They also told me I would be charged £3 per statement I requested

A good friend evidently

Before posting my DPA letter today I phoned and asked the Halifax how much they would charge me for some copy statements....they bloke was most helpful and told me its as many as you want for a fiver. So in my letter I stated that their charge is £5 and I enclosed just that (cheque) :wink:

Scooby

every dog has its day

29th Mar Requested statements

14th April Rec'd statements

16th May Request for repayment letter sent

23rd May Bla Bla letter rec'd offering £435

30th May Sent LBA

5th July Money claim online request

11th July Deemed served

ROLL ON 9TH AUGUST

Clearly your friend needs to be re-briefed, and also to realise that just the bank says it is so, it doesn't make it so.

They WILL slip up or give up!

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks for your comments - it really helps keep my chin up! Got my statements today. All bound up neatly with an elastic band in one nice big envelope. (Can't help thinking they're up to something...!)

Totted up the total charges - came to a few quid short of £1500, :shock: So now I guess I need to put it all on your spreadsheet and work out the interest.

Can't wait! Can't tell you how nice it is to know there's always someone on OUR side!! xx

Chin up...yes, that sounds good.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I just looked at your spreadsheet (great, by the way.) My statements just say "charges as notified" and don't say what they were for (transaction, unpaid DD). Can I just put on the spreadsheet "charges" or will that just look amateur? Didn't really want to have to write to them again for the details of the charges..... I JUST WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!! X

• 1 month later...

What bank staff may tell you - I recently received a charge for non payment of a DD, when I received the letter I went straight into my branch to advise that I had not authorised a DD from this account which apart from incurring interest and bank charges as a result of the interest taking it over my overdraft limit on a regular basis I did not use the account and would certainly not set up a DD.

I was told by the manager that if there was an error on their part they would refund the charges.

I checked with my insurance company who confirmed that the DD was in my partners name but may have had the wrong bank account number.

When I went back to the halifax to explain this and asked whether the account name and number had been checked before the DD was refused and I was charged she replied 'we only use the sort code and account number, we do not confirm the account name as I could have been paying it for someone else'. I again stressed that I had not used the account for payments of any kind for over two years but she was not interested and said they would not refund the charge despite me telling them immediately I received their letter that it was incorrect.

So warning, anyone who gets hold of your sort code and account number can set up a DD without the name being checked for added security.

You can imagine my horror as I have already been a victim of credit fraud via a home shopping service at a previous address and even though the person responsible was questionned by police the crown prosecution say they didn't have enough evidence to convict her.

Just had a look at one of my recent bank statements, its quite easy to work out what you were overdrawn for , but will, depending on the time it takes! be worth the trawl through, I cant help other than that. good luck:rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Bump

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks