A DLR Inspector

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a penalty notice for failure to produce a valid ticket on the DLR. For those unfamiliar with the DLR you can use your London Underground Oyster Card but it is a barrier-less system and requires the traveller to tap the Oyster Card on a machine. Having been unfamiliar with the DLR I found this out the hard way. I didn't realise I needed to tap the card on entrance and exit, and during the journey an inspector issued me with a £50 penalty fare. I did offer to pay the fare but the inspector refused. I will appeal as a genuine error but I don't think it will work.

Aside from penalty fare the incident was quite disturbing in that the inspector made continual reference to my country of origin, stating that "you wouldn't steal in your own country, why do it here." The comments about my country of origin were repeated again and again by the inspector. I told the inspector that this is borderline racial and the inspector continued to make it a reference point. It was all quite bizarre. Is it reasonable for a ticket inspector to use a person’s country of origin within the reason for issuing a penalty and would the DLR find this appropriate? I certainly didn't and nor did my colleague who was with me.

I might add. I had already started using my pre-paid Oystercard for that day on the London Underground. I had to make a stop out at West India key and then return to central London for more stops on LUL. So the maximum day fare was already in place on the card - so no intent. I was just unaware of the DLR system.

I received a penalty notice for failure to produce a valid ticket on the DLR. For those unfamiliar with the DLR you can use your London Underground Oyster Card but it is a barrier-less system and requires the traveller to tap the Oyster Card on a machine. Having been unfamiliar with the DLR I found this out the hard way. I didn't realise I needed to tap the card on entrance and exit, and during the journey an inspector issued me with a £50 penalty fare. I did offer to pay the fare but the inspector refused. I will appeal as a genuine error but I don't think it will work.

Aside from penalty fare the incident was quite disturbing in that the inspector made continual reference to my country of origin, stating that "you wouldn't steal in your own country, why do it here." The comments about my country of origin were repeated again and again by the inspector. I told the inspector that this is borderline racial and the inspector continued to make it a reference point. It was all quite bizarre. Is it reasonable for a ticket inspector to use a person’s country of origin within the reason for issuing a penalty and would the DLR find this appropriate? I certainly didn't and nor did my colleague who was with me.

I am really very surprised in respect of two issues here

1. I am surprised that any inspector should make such references, it is clearly not acceptable and if it was serious as you suggest, the incident and the Inspector should be the subject of your formal complaint.

2. I am also very surprised that you should ask the question on a public forum rather than immediately make a complaint to the relevant rail company.

Clearly you feel that it was wrong, otherwise why raise the issue?

Only you can decide how you feel about the incident that you were involved in and if you feel affronted then it is up to you to make the complaint.

We will all have views and I make no bones about the fact that I cannot see any excuse for such behaviour, but none of those of us who use this forum were present and therefore all of our views are irrelevant because they can only be informed by hearsay.

If you feel offended, you should write to the rail company making your personal views known by way of complaint.

I understand that you are perhaps publicising an unacceptable incident, but how can that achieve anything?

If your colleague witnessed the incident you should both write down exactly what the inspector said (as near as you can recall) and make a proper complaint. This will allow the DLR to investigate the issue and take any disciplinary action that might be necessary.

The DLR does have better monitoring coverage than most parts of the network so that these sort of things can be properly investigated.

Good Luck

Edited by Old-CodJA

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. All understood.

I have appealed the penalty fare. The 21 days from the time of issue is approaching and I've not heard a peep from Serco. Is the 21 days frozen whilst the appeal is pending and is there a way I can check to see if the letter has made it into their appeals process? Serco contact options seem to be limited.

Thanks for the advice. All understood.

I have appealed the penalty fare. The 21 days from the time of issue is approaching and I've not heard a peep from Serco. Is the 21 days frozen whilst the appeal is pending and is there a way I can check to see if the letter has made it into their appeals process? Serco contact options seem to be limited.

Contact: Telephone 0207 363 9500 and ask to speak to:The Penalty Fares Administrator, Serco-Docklands, Poplar Depot, Castor Lane, London. E14 0DS