Introducing adult cats.... any bright ideas?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With a week to work at it you should be able to do this if you are prepared to spend the time.

First thing - if they are living in different parts of the house then swap them round so they get used to the smell of the other cats. Spend a couple of days on this. Then you can start introducing them and it is a good idea to have a really yummy food available as you do it. It's one of the very few times I would agree with the use of tuna :) Make sure there are at least as many dishes as cats - it's a bit much to expect them to get too close at this stage.

If you can, get hold of a small bottle of Bach's Rescue Remedy. Tesco have it in the vitamins/supplements section. It comes in a bright yellow box, around the £6 mark. I have known it make a huge difference with this sort of problem - enough to save a much loved cat from being rehomed when there has been a falling out. One drop on the lips is all you need, it's not like trying to pill a cat. My head says it's all mumbo jumbo but I can't argue with the results I've witnessed over the years.

• Haha 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no point spraying RR around. Feliway is a pheremone based product which costs a fortune. Some people swear by it and use it permanently. For me this is simply masking a problem rather than solving it.

Rescue remedy is one of the Bach's flower remedies range - think of it as akin to homeopathy. You need to use a drop on the lips or tongue just like any product that should be taken into the system. I suggested it's use as a short term aid to (hopefully) dealing with a behaviour issue. RR will calm the aggression in a seemingly dominant cat and the response in those who appear scared. Both responses are the result of anxiety and lowering the anxiety levels will help with re-introducing cats. The aim is to reach a point where there is no need to use anything.

I hate the water pistol idea. I understand that things like water jets or rattle bottles are used with dogs as a distraction or focussing aid but I cannot stress highly enough that cats aren't dogs. Anything that stresses a cat further is going to be counter productive and possibly have health implications.

I've used the water pistol idea quite succesfully in the past when one of mine wanted to poo in the indoor plants

That's a completely different thing altogether. If you use it when trying to introduce cats you are reinforcing the idea that sharing space with a new cat is an unpleasant experience.

Edited by hightail
quote added for clarity

ALL parts of lilies are horribly poisonous to cats. The pollen is the worst bit but even chewing a leaf is going to make a cat very ill. Cats v lilies = cats losing most of the time. This particlar case was very lucky

Even minor cat bites are highly likely to become infected

Cats rarely cause that much damage to each other. Don't assume that the 'growly phase' is going to turn into a teeth and claws battle. It's a warning sign with dogs but a far more complicated communication with cats.

It made me so paranoid that I don't have any flowers in the house

You don't have to go that far - long-stemmed roses are just fine :)

All bulbs are poisonous to cats in varing degrees so you won't go far wrong if you avoid any flower that starts out as a bulb.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had £1 for every time an owner has come to me for help after just leaving them to it. There's a world of difference between bringing a kitten in and introducing adults. Even with a kitten there is very good reason to minimise stress for all your cats during the introductory period.

• 1 year later...
Ugh.... I see what you mean!!..... :faint2: I don't remember it being this strong with my other toms.... but they were neutered when they were still young, so that's probably why.

Yeah, it will stay pretty bad for a while. He's been the lad around town for a fair while so it's not even just down to age. Having been an 'active' boy his reproductive system is in full go mode and will take time to settle.