laptop keeps freezing up

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I downloaded the software that Tez told me to and my lappy suddenly started to do some self checks and repairs.

The system information tool I listed has nothing to do with repairs at all. It simply reports on which aspects of the system you tell it to, so I'm not altogether convinced that your problem is fixed, hills.

Could you please still take a screenshot of your open Task Manager's Process page, as outlined by both myself and locutus and paste it here?

• 1 month later...

I just installed siw on my sons computer (exactly the same OS as mine) and it doesn't work. Well, it comes on but doesn't display anything when you go on the secrets button. Even if you save a HTML document, it's blank. I use my sons laptop to pay bills and have forgotten a password, that's why I need to know. I'm not being nosey, my son is only 11 and any passwords on there have been created by me anyway.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

I just installed siw on my sons computer (exactly the same OS as mine) and it doesn't work. Well' date=' it comes on but doesn't display anything when you go on the secrets button. Even if you save a HTML document, it's blank. I use my sons laptop to pay bills and have forgotten a password, that's why I need to know. I'm not being nosey, my son is only 11 and any passwords on there have been created by me anyway.[/quote']

Really? SIW works on every Windows PC I've tried it on, across a range of Windows versions.

If these two show nothing, this normally indicates that you are trying to use the free edition of SIW on a non-home PC, normally - but not always - a domain PC (been getting any 'Purchase Now' popups from the program, by chance?).

SIW automatically detects non home-PC use and renders portions of itself inactive as a result (there is a paid edition that caters for all PCs). I quote from the SIW website that "Use on single or multiple PCs in a corporate, educational, non-profit, military or government installation is prohibited."

I have just logged into the latest SIW on my home PC, and can confirm that the HTML reports and Secrets functions run fine.

It works fine on mine too. Both laptops run off the same modem and wireless router. I am the administrator on both of them. Funny enough though, when I try logging in to my old admin account, it says Windows failed to load. I had to set up a new admin account,(my sons account still works fine, and he hasn't got admin privileges). but certain features of certain programs are still not right.

Hmmm...this sounds to me like a networking issue, in that Windows - whether rightly or wrongly - has got itself convinced that it's part of a corporate network. That'll be why SIW won't run certain components.

If you right-click My Computer and got to Properties, then Computer Name, does each PC belong to a Workgroup, or a Domain?

Both laptops say WORKGROUP (I suppose that's not right). I have been having problems with certain programs not working on my laptop as well. I hope that this is the case as it has been annoying me for months now. Do I just edit details and change them to home?