Halifax Overdraft - Changes to Accounts £1 a day

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

IIf I arrange with the bank to repay my overdraft at my current interest rate and close the account, how (if they will at all) will they refund my bank charges which I have previously claimed for?

Answers on a postcard...

Sorry, no postcard, but I give you the answer anyway: By cheque. Believe me, they're used to it. :-D

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just gone and had a look at the moneysavingexpert forums on this subject and feel quite ill now !! - Some of the forum users look like they actually work for the Halifax and seem to spend the entire time telling people how wonderful this and that account is with the halifax and how stupid some people are for using an overdraft and how the charges are perfectly reasonable !! Its made me realise how nice and helpful the people on this forum are :)

Cath

Yes, I noticed that too..its an un-regulated forum, so any asshole can blurt out crap anytime they want and get away with it. I have also noticed that the majority on there do not wish to help, but get on the moral soap box and look down their noses at anyone in need of help. I have my suspicions that its full of disinformation from the very establishments we are fighting against, and as it is a well known forum, the uneducated are being led down the wrong path-either discourageing people from not claiming or other stall tactics.

That place NEEDS moderation. Until then I for one refuse to pander to the snots that write on there.

Just had an interesting conversation with a member of staff (informally) for HBOS who has said because less than 3% of their customers use an overdraft facility overall their customers will be better off with these new fees in place making everything fair!

They also pointed out that beause I agree to their T&C regarding a change in T&C they aer allowed to change anything regardless!

How mindless and brainwashed are these people?!!!!!

i got my letter through this morning from halifax and was absolutely gobsmacked i rang them up and basicaly theres nothing they can do for me i tried to explain that there was not a chance of me payin it off as i couldnt afford it but yet when it takes me into ma unarranged overdraft they're then still goin to take the extra £5 a day so by the time it comes to me gettin paid i aint gonna have any money at all, so therefore they're gonna put me into even more dept. the woman i spoke to said a out gettin a personal load but i tried to get 1 the other month n no im not eligible for 1, i dont want a credit card because if i cant afford to pay things now i aint gonna afford to do it later am i. i am 38 weeks pregnant and really dont need this they are basically gonna leave me with no money for me and my baby to live. i cant believe they are doing this its day light robbery.

40 Signatures on the Petition so far need to get that up the listings as soon as possible. Great point about the google listing and to cath3672 this forum is a great place to get advice and information from excellent users. Keep this thread alive and see if we can make enough fuss in a very short time to at least be heard. We must take positive action and get involved otherwise this banking farce will continue and with the spin as said earlier, the majority of customer will be better off. Mmm.

Yes, I posted a link to my templates on MSE and e-mailed Martin to let him know I had done so and to feel free to use them if he wants to publicise the issue, but the attitude over there is absolutely appalling :mad: and I feel I may be fighting a losing battle. :-(

Hi there, as Bookworm states, I joined this forum after I got the letter and googled the terms looking for the ins and outs of the legalities of this.

Whilst I am absolutely fuming at the bank, I am delighted to have found this lil forum :) so thank you :)

Bookworm especially - I hope you don't mind but I am circulating your letters and the thread path here to spread awareness.

Also posting the petition everywhere.

Thanks everyone, you have been most informative and helpful :)

Laura

To be honest I would not entertain the MSE place. As I said previously, it seems to be full of people that want to deliberately sabotage any means for reclaim etc. And its full of disinformation. Full of self-righteous assholes IMO.

This is disgusting, I cannot believe what they are doing! The government have recently been attempting to deal with the loan sharks who are charging extortionate rates when the banks are no better! I will certainly be complaining and closing my Halifax account.

There are only 62 signatures on the Petition, please, pass to anyone who will listen!

Even if they are not with the Halifax/BoS - if enough people sign it, it will cause such a stink, other banks may not follow and we will have somewhere to move to!

:)

hiya have added my signature too

and will be telling as many people as i can too

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

I only really caught the end of it but I gather Martins advice was to switch banks :) - I've two accounts with Halifax and am in the process of switching all my direct debits and standing orders on to the newest account so it'll be easier to switch banks altogether

Cath

Watchdog programme. Yer, great advice that Martin.:rolleyes:...for those who are not in the overdraft "trap" . These are the people that it will affect the most. The ones who are constantly in their overdraft and cannot afford to pay it back all at once. Those are the ones that will have to pay the £30 EVERY month for the "priveledge". As for the Halifax saying we need to contact them to arrange alternatives..well yer..alternatives wherein the try to flog you ANOTHER current account. Cheeky b*****ds.:-x

What they need to offer is a way out for the ones that cannot afford to repay the overdraft in full, via a Financial statement..a "means" test of sorts, wherein you lay out your income and outcome and work out how much YOU can afford to pay back the greedy fat arse bankers (replace the "b" with a "w").

Well I am completely screwed by this! After being hit with charges that they refuse to pay back and having them go into my bank account for c/c arrears and leaving me short for the rest of my bills I took the advice on the forum and switched bank accounts

After 2 old cheques came out and hundreds of pounds in charges the o/d is now over its limit, they have taken back the card and cheque book and in order to stop them defaulting the account I agreed to make a monthly repayment of £40 and in return they froze all future charges but said they would still charge interest which is curently about £15 a month

I wasnr happy about the interest but relieved that they had no access to my wages and they o/d would be paid off eventually

I've now received the letter saying that I will now be charged £5 PER DAY as my overdraft is unauthorised which equates to a massive £155 PER MONTH meaning even with the £40 payment to stop them defaulting me my debt is going to INCREASE by £115 per month

I cant get another loan or overdraft due to my current credit score and my fiance has just been made redundant so I will now need to cover all the bills until he can get a new job so theres no way I can afford to pay more per month to clear it

I really dont know what to do as the bank dont want to help at all

mbna - no agreement provided - settled for 31% of balance!

halifax - no enforceable agreement - account held

If I were you I would phone the complaints dept and ask them to send out a Financial Assessment form. Fill it in and send it back via Recorded mail (just in case).

Also I cannot stress enough the importance of getting the Citizens Advice Bureau or similar involved. I did this about 6 months ago, and got most of my debt reduced to affordable payments..INCLUDING THE FAT ASS BANKS. It takes the weight off the shoulders..and most importantly remember..dont let them bully you, as YOU are in control NOT them.

i went in to my bank yesterday to speak to an adviser about this and i couldnt beieve it when she was tellin me to get out she was sayin that the best way to sort this problem out os to get out of halifax now esp since there might not b a halifax left within 6 months, it could b that lloyds completely take over so all that is happenin with halifax could end up happenin with lloyds 2, so if u r gonna swith banks dont get an overdraft and if u leave as long as u arrange a payment scheme back with them all you dont have to pay any of the charges.

Aliance & Leicester and the Abbey are both part of the Santander group, a Spanish bank. They are offering to pay £100 into the account if you switch. When my OH contacted them, they said they would probably match any existing overdraft from the Halifax. Sounded like they have had a deluge of Halifax customers, so don't expect the £100 offer to last.

Personally, I would arrange the new account without an overdraft, then move any direct debits, salary etc to the new account and then write to the Halifax saying you do not accept the new terms & conditions but will keep with the existing deal. Then repay the debt over the remaining life of the overdraft facility. But pronto, before 6 Decenber or whenever the changes take effect.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request