Halifax Overdraft - Changes to Accounts £1 a day

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is the message I tried to post before...

The government response I interpret to mean this. We have no real understanding of the issue, and in any event there's nothing we are prepared to do about it. Even though the Treasury Select committee has already highligthed the issue.

I'm pleased you got a result Peck08. I was just about to post to the effect that I believed that that particular account HAS a small overdraft as a feature. Anyone know if this is right?

I really am keen to see this end up in court, preferably by Halifax or a DCA taking a customer to court for the charges they have clearly stated they do not agree to.

The real concern, as others have noted here and elsewhere, is there's really no need for them to go to court since they can trash your credit file and the CRA's just shrug and say nothing to do with me guv.

I work for NPower and there's just been a change, well needed in m view, where an energy cannot object to a supply leaving where the charges are due to an error on thier part or are in dispute. A similar rule for the info banks report to the CRA's is very much needed, or if one already exists it need to be enforced with determination.

Anyway back to the court thing. I'd love to be there when the defendant responds (is that the correct term for civil court, me thinks its actually something like respondant) :-

I refer the court to the volumes of correspondance I have sent to Halifax stating that I do not accept the charges. I would draw your attention to the fact I have advised them of this on no less tha four seperate occaisions, as well as enclosing a statement of affairs showing what I can afford to pay at the AGREED rate of interest.

Halifax has totally rejected this an suggested I go to the FOS.

Hey a guy can hope.

One last point re O/D's being withdrawn they should notify you of this and if this is not recieved I would expect balance of probability sits with the customer. At least that's the way it was at Nationwide.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With an adjudicator at the moment. Doesn't mean a lot when my last case is still with them from June last year. The Adjudicator has since left. I must be very unfortunate with adjudicators, have had 3 cases in the last 2/3 years and all 3 left whilst dealing with me. No comments, the family have used them all!

I received a different letter this morning. I usually get a template reminder letter every couple of weeks, but the letter that arrived this morning was thus, (try not to laugh)

Dear Bigyeti,

As part of our continuing commitment to excellent customer service (yes I know, I nearly cracked a rib laughing at that one. The same as my continuing commitment to being the first man on Mars by August) we carry out checks to highlight unusual spending on customers' accounts, (i.e. rather than being paid wages and buying shopping and paying bills, the only transactions are their charges they think I owe them)

Please contact us as soon as possible to discuss your account etc etc..

Yours etc,

Heather Brown

Fraud(ulent) Officer

I shall look forward to mine. Every Sunday evening I have an email to let me know I have a paper free document. As you say, same letter reminding me of their charges. Surprising I can receive a letter on a Sunday evening when it's not a banking day!

Wouold be very interested to see the FOS take on this, I don't know what the law says but there seems to be little rhyme or reason to when and where they refer to the law. They say it is one of things they consider, but you would've thought it is quite an important thing??? And I would hope there is no legal principly which states the bank can bind the customer to whatever they like and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

Mind you that's pretty close to what the Supreme Court said so who knows...

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Dear Halifax,

Recently your changes to my current account have set a precident for unilateral amendments to the terms and conditions of our agreement.

I therefore write to inform you that in 28 days from the date of this letter I will start charging the bank £5 per day for adminstrative purposes. If you fall into arrears with your payments by more than 28 days you will be charged £10 per day. We will not charge interest on this amount.

These changes are for transparency in the way we deal with your bank.

If you do not agree with these terms you have the option to close the account and zero the balance without further penalty.

Please note that this fee does not relate specifically to this account, but is for the benefit of all members of my family.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I received yet another, different letter. It tells me they've deluded themselves into thinking I owe them £202 to bring my account within its limit. Please cough up, or phone some 0845 number if you can't.

Pfft.

It's in the FOSs' hands now.

Something very very odd is happening with my OH's account.

Despite being over £2500, since the % interest stopped they haven't been adding daily charges. Nil.

The account is inactive other than we've left a small payment going into the account each month, and it's under the agreed limit now. The balance is reducing each month by the full amount he's paying in. Awesome!

He's never written and challenged the daily fees, had no communication with them/from them whatsoever, except statements.

I think he's slipped into the twilight zone. Needless to say, keeping very very quiet!!

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

I received yet another, different letter. It tells me they've deluded themselves into thinking I owe them £202 to bring my account within its limit. Please cough up, or phone some 0845 number if you can't.

Pfft.

It's in the FOSs' hands now.

Perhaps bearing in mind all the paper they are wasting we should be charging them £5/month environmental preservation levy.

God bless the Halifax, two letters this week in the post. First one telling me to contact them and not to use my card and today telling me I'm ignoring their letters and they will issue a default notice in 5 days if I don't pay.

I wouldn't mind but I've tried to close this account but can't because of the charges.

they told me that there was nothing they could do, so if still not happy to go to the FOS. So I did.

So I'm writing back to tell them that there is nothing else for me to add, and it's in the FOS's hands. I might add "if you're still not satisfied, then freeze the account and demand your overdraft back, or take me to court" or words to that effect.

Yes, HALIFAX! They are liars and have unfair charges - The Hateful Bank of Scotland.

My story with Halifax

I had a current account, visa debit card and a £100 overdraft. Found out they were charging me a £1 a day for using but staying within the overdraft facility. I thought this was outrageous so complained.

I was offered an upgrade to the Ultimate Reward account, 2 operators promised that all charges would be reversed and I would be able to start with a fresh balance on this new account.

A week later charges appeared on my account and as a result I have not been able to pay my bills, I contacted them the next day (Friday 9am) and was promised a call back after managers were able to listen to the phonecall and determine what had been said. Never got the call.

Called them on Saturday (three times) nobody knew whether managers were available to listen to the phonecalls or when they were working.

Called back twice on Monday and was told a manager was looking into the matter then later that a manager would be looking into the matter!

Called Tuesday and was told the same thing "a manager will be looking into this matter and we will have a decision for you soon" Obviously the operators were being forced to lie, perhaps they like lying, personally I don't care either way so I stopped the almost robotic responses with an ultimatum - ring me tomorrow by lunchtime with an answer or I'm changing banks.

Didn't get the phonecall as expected as I knew what was promised to me and they obviously didn't have the stupidity to alter voices on a call and commit a crime and they obviously didn't want to pay out and have a fat cat at the the top miss an opportunity to eat sushi at the local snob bar.

I'm opening up with NatWest now, they don't have a charge for overdrafts £100 and under and they also are alot better with international funds, 4 days to clear any amount from any country where Halifax takes up to 6 weeks. You live and learn.

EDIT: I forgot, NatWest can also close accounts with other banks whatever the money you owe or they think you owe, they have offered this service to me so if you are in a twist with them you can stop the charges building up :)

Edited by steven83uk
innacuracy

Steven

Are you remembering TSB or Lloyds TSB now OWN HBOS? - since Gordon Brown gave it aawy to them in late 2008 - and they can therefore OFFSET any credit balance in a TSB account against any disputed debt in a HBOS account. :-x

You might be better with a totally arms length bank - like HSBC or RBS -neither is squeeky clean but at least they are seperate from HBOS and LTSB.

BD

Steven

Are you remembering TSB or Lloyds TSB now OWN HBOS? - since Gordon Brown gave it aawy to them in late 2008 - and they can therefore OFFSET any credit balance in a TSB account against any disputed debt in a HBOS account. :-x

You might be better with a totally arms length bank - like HSBC or RBS -neither is squeeky clean but at least they are seperate from HBOS and LTSB.

BD

Ah, my fault, apologies! The new account will be with NatWest, not sure why I said TSB although this was one of the banks that I inquired with after the ordeal with Halifax. I suppose I'm losing confidence in them so names become an irrelevance! NatWest seemed to be the most reasonable out of TSB, HSBC and Yorkshire having no interest on overdrafts of £100 and under.

I'll edit the post so it doesn't look so stupid!

I've had a response from the FOS - what an utter waste of time.

Is that it? It wasn't even a full explanation, and then looked like they got bored halfway through and gave up. Maybe it was almost 5pm when they started typing it up.

So, we make the same complaint to the fos about the new charging rfegime. We already know the response. But it will cost halifax £450 for every complaint. Sounds good to me.

Things might change after the Govan case, if Govan win. So I reckon we must all make our claims to the fos sooner rather than later.

Its WAR

Does it really cost Halifax £450 - £500 every time someone complains to the FOS?

TFT

Edited by the_freedom_trail

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

That's one hell of a bank charge lol :D I'm going after them for a £35 charge levied to my account at the end of last year. If they don't cough up then I shall be making a complaint to the FOS in order that they don't profit from my bank charge.

Thinking about it, if we all complained to the FOS we could finish Halifax off at £500 a pop.

Thank you

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08