Pets Corner

Spamalot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thinking about going to another vet but worried about springing another vet fee so soon on my poor old mum and stepdad who are paying

Ask for a copy of the printout from the blood panel. You've paid for it to be done so you are entitled to the results. You then at least have the option of going elsewhere and paying a basic consultation fee for a proper explanation. You might find the request spurs your original vet into finding some hitherto undiscovered customer service skills :)

Some vets are great with animals, some are talented surgeons, some have fantastic instinctive diagnostic skills and some are really good with people. It's most unusual to find all these qualities in one person. Your current vet may well be the best surgeon in the area but not so good at dealing with people. You have to find one that has the qualities you need at the time, every time.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sunflower,

Poor lad. The vet sounds like the old school type. If he'd been a surgeon he'd have had a flurry of starched frilly nurses fluttering round him!

What symptoms was your lad having that took you to the vet?

Just the weight loss? Or was he vomiting/ extra thirsty/loose or pale, greasy motions? In pain? Any yellow in his eyes? Panting a lot?

I agree with the above, you need a definitive proper diagnosis for your money. Ask the question- what liver disease does he actually have? Is he actually diabetic? He's very young to be having these problems all of a sudden.

By the way, if you're on Housing or Council tax benefit you could get free treatment at your nearest PDSA. Check out The Blue Cross too.

Hugs

Elsa x

Hi Undercover Elsa

Yes that is a good description of our vet! LOL He is very old school and been in that practice for years when i googled him ! Qualified in 1960s,Dosent like to tell us peasants too much Well i could put up with that atttitude if he managed to cure our boy but as you say no good if he not going to help him,I am frightened the poor boy will waste away if he does not get insulin as that is the hormone i believe that enables the body to convert glucose and sugar to either energy or fat and with out it the suger just accumulates in blood and does harm if i got my facts right ?'His symtoms are that he has a vastly increased appetite drinks a lot He also has this strange smell on his breath .He is very lethargic and lost a lot of his enegy and although he is eating a lot he does not seem to be getting much goodness from from food he is eating,and loosing weight and starting to look boney in places poor boy,:(

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Ask for a copy of the printout from the blood panel. You've paid for it to be done so you are entitled to the results. You then at least have the option of going elsewhere and paying a basic consultation fee for a proper explanation. You might find the request spurs your original vet into finding some hitherto undiscovered customer service skills :)

Some vets are great with animals, some are talented surgeons, some have fantastic instinctive diagnostic skills and some are really good with people. It's most unusual to find all these qualities in one person. Your current vet may well be the best surgeon in the area but not so good at dealing with people. You have to find one that has the qualities you need at the time, every time.

Hi hightail

Yes i might have to consider that but i will probably put his back up and i get the impression he could bet a bit upleasant if he crossed :eek: Just put that suggestion to my Oh and he say mabe we should give it a few days to see if diet works as if we ask for a print out of blood tests i reckon we will never be able to use that vet again and he is very nerar and easy to get too just a shame he not telling us much and gvining us more understanding what we paid that £95 of my poor mum money out for!

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi Undecover Elsa

Almost meant to say that I did look into seeing if we could get help form PDSA but we would not qualify as i work fulltime and we not on any menns tested benefits ,only get OHs incapcity benefit which does not qailfy us as i am working full time,We get b----- no help at all:( poor hubby even has to pay for his prescriptions even ! Which i think is means as i am sure someone on heart medication needs their medication as much as people suffering from Diabetes or thyroid problems etc etc

Thanks for all your help undercover Elsa and Hightail!:) xx

It's a pleasure Sunflower!

The strange smell...peardrops?

I wish I could see that blood report!!!

Maybe it would help if you thought of your vet as a banker and sent him a SAR for all your dog's data! :D

Elsa x

Hi Elsa

Yes funnily enough my OH and vet can not smell it but i can,His breath does not have the usual normal dog breath it smells of chemichals.Sort of remiinds me of petrolMy OH wants to see what happens over next few days and give that vet one more chance but if we decide to try another vet if this one does not help him i will as you say think of the vet as a banker and sar him! Thats a good way of thinking about it,If i ever do get a print off of his blood work i will pm you a copy to see what you think.Thanks again for help Sunflower:) x

Sorry spamalot i am hijacking your thread with my boys problems!It was supposed to be thread for peoples pet photos:eek: Sorry!x

Sorry spamalot i am hijacking your thread with my boys problems!It was supposed to be thread for peoples pet photos:eek: Sorry!x

Don't be silly... you are not hijacking at all :eek:

It's a thread about pets... and your boy is a pet!! :) I'm intrigued by your problems but sadly can't offer any advice..

I hope you manage to sort something out soon... it's such a worry..:(

Carry on posting. ;-)

Spam. x

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

*BB cries*

Oh bloody hell. I might as well go and kill myself now. :-(

My beastie needed a few stitiches a while back and they put him to sleep and just watching him lolling around when the drugs kicked in was both the funniest thing and heartbreaking as it unavoidably made me realise that one day it would be for good... He's only 4 and I am already dreading it.

I made it nearly 25 years without a pet and was absolutely fine, and now we are completely enslaved to this one. :rolleyes:

I'm with you there bookie.. each time one of our dogs has died we swear we wont get another.. longest time without.... 3 weeks :rolleyes::) It is like the soul has been ripped out of your home.

It's a pleasure Sunflower!

The strange smell...peardrops?

I wish I could see that blood report!!!

Maybe it would help if you thought of your vet as a banker and sent him a SAR for all your dog's data! :D

Elsa x

Pear drop smell ?, isnt that indicative of diabetes ?

Sunflower as advised, you must ask the vet to be more specific re the liver problems

PEOPLE DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG HUMAN CHOCOLATE it is very bad for them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yep, peardrops smell is acetone (ketones) from improper glucose metabolism. The other possibility is uraemia from poor liver or kidney function, which gives a nasty taste/smell in the mouth..due mainly to improper protein metabolism.

This is why you need to be informed by your vet, as the right management is crucial, depending on the blood results.

Yep, peardrops smell is acetone (ketones) from improper glucose metabolism. The other possibility is uraemia from poor liver or kidney function, which gives a nasty taste/smell in the mouth..due mainly to improper protein metabolism.

This is why you need to be informed by your vet, as the right management is crucial, depending on the blood results.

Thanks Elsa, very interesting. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Elsa

Yes thanks for the feedback ,it is not a horrible smell ,I think it may resembe the smell of pear drops or nail polish remover.He does seem a little brighter today though and done a few poop in the garden as another thing my OOH was worried about wat that he was not doing many poops,I am just keeping my fingers crossed he wiil get better and as you all say try and get more info from vet when we next see him,As you say elsa he is very old school i think and dosent like telling people to much,

Don't be silly... you are not hijacking at all :eek:

It's a thread about pets... and your boy is a pet!! :) I'm intrigued by your problems but sadly can't offer any advice..

I hope you manage to sort something out soon... it's such a worry..:(

Carry on posting. ;-)

Spam. x

Hi Spam

Thanks for not minding me posting up a lot on your thread about our boys problems:)x

Hi CitB

Thanks for interest too,It seem there is always one problem after another at moment:cry:

Hi CitB

Thanks for interest too,It seem there is always one problem after another at moment:cry:

I know the feeling *hugs*

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)

if we ask for a print out of blood tests i reckon we will never be able to use that vet again

I know it's hard when you're not used to it but if done properly you could well start a whole new relationship with the vet based on mutual respect. You don't have to be nasty about it or consider it some sort of fight. You probably don't even need to speak to the vet. If you phone and ask for a copy to be made available, giving them time to do it for you, it can be left at reception for you to pick up. Be pleasant. Tell them how happy you are that your dog seems to be a bit better, that this episode has shocked you into realising how little you know, you want to know more about your dog's health and can research it with the results.

The owner of my vets is from a cultural background which doesn't assume a great deal of respect for women. It took some time but we have a great relationship and he now discusses every aspect of any treatment with me. He was a prime candidate for the sort that would take offence but it hasn't happened. Like you, I'd have changed vet when he bought the business but for the convenience. It has been worth the effort.

I know the feeling *hugs*

Hi Babybear!

Thanks for hugs Babybear!:) sounds like you going through it all too,Its getting to the stage when i every time wake up in the morning i am wondering what next horrible thing is going to happen to us:eek: Hugs back!:) xx

I know it's hard when you're not used to it but if done properly you could well start a whole new relationship with the vet based on mutual respect. You don't have to be nasty about it or consider it some sort of fight. You probably don't even need to speak to the vet. If you phone and ask for a copy to be made available, giving them time to do it for you, it can be left at reception for you to pick up. Be pleasant. Tell them how happy you are that your dog seems to be a bit better, that this episode has shocked you into realising how little you know, you want to know more about your dog's health and can research it with the results.

The owner of my vets is from a cultural background which doesn't assume a great deal of respect for women. It took some time but we have a great relationship and he now discusses every aspect of any treatment with me. He was a prime candidate for the sort that would take offence but it hasn't happened. Like you, I'd have changed vet when he bought the business but for the convenience. It has been worth the effort.

I must admit i alway have wished i had courage to ask vets about more details test results in past and wish they would involve us more and that goes for other prforessionals too! I hope to be able to do that but i think my vet is very set in his ways and think i will have quite a fight on my hands!:eek:I hate being it when i am treated like i only got half a brain by patronising people!Still since joining cag i am gradually learning to stand up for myself!What a great forum this is though that we can discuss and get advice on so many things on these forums whether they be bank issues vet issues news issues and any other consumer issue!:)

Hi Sunflower

Do you have a PDSA near you? If you are on benefits they only ask for a donation and I believe they're fantastic vets. It might be worth googling them and seeing what benefits you have to be on if there is one you can get to. Not sure if you have a car. I know there is one in Manchester.

Google the RC food, see if you can get cheaper off internet.

Yes, it is a good idea to use the biscuits as treats! It must feel awful depriving him of anything when he's ill.

Hi Sunflower

Do you have a PDSA near you? If you are on benefits they only ask for a donation and I believe they're fantastic vets. It might be worth googling them and seeing what benefits you have to be on if there is one you can get to. Not sure if you have a car. I know there is one in Manchester.

Google the RC food, see if you can get cheaper off internet.

Yes, it is a good idea to use the biscuits as treats! It must feel awful depriving him of anything when he's ill.

Hi Jan

I did google PDSA but as i work full time and we are not on any means tested benefits as i work full time we are not eligible i am afraid,MY Oh just on incapacity benefit which not being means tested does not qualify for any help from PDSA:(

Hi Sunflower,

Here's a link to the Blue Cross info sheet. They do allow more latitude than the PDSA in who they accept eg Working Tax Credits.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/FILES/Literature/LONDON_ANIMAL_HOSP_WEB.pdf

They have hospitals in Victoria, Hammersmith, Merton and Grimsby. I believe if you don't live in those areas they have a vet credit certificate scheme. It's not totally free though, they do expect a donation towards treatment.

Elsa x

PS. I've done a couple of sticky threads with general info which covers a lot of these issues:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/pets-vets/227345-rescue-welfare-advice-useful.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/pets-vets/227294-problems-your-vet-useful.html

Hi Sunflower,

Here's a link to the Blue Cross info sheet. They do allow more latitude than the PDSA in who they accept eg Working Tax Credits.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/FILES/Literature/LONDON_ANIMAL_HOSP_WEB.pdf

They have hospitals in Victoria, Hammersmith, Merton and Grimsby. I believe if you don't live in those areas they have a vet credit certificate scheme. It's not totally free though, they do expect a donation towards treatment.

Elsa x

PS. I've done a couple of sticky threads with general info which covers a lot of these issues:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/pets-vets/227345-rescue-welfare-advice-useful.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/pets-vets/227294-problems-your-vet-useful.html

Hi Elsa

Thanks for links! I do not get working tax crediti either.so i am not sure that Blue cross would help me .still at least family helping me with costs thank goodness.Thanks for all your help:) x