Claiming back PPI once they have refused too

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

What are the steps you need to take for claiming back PPI?

Wife had an account with Debs and they reduced her credit limit from £8k to £100 pounds without any warning and told her to check her credit record. Well she did and her score is 900 plus so it's not that.

And she always paid the balance in full every month so god knows why.

She has had the account since 1991 so it should come to a tidy amount if we can somehow claim it back.

Should they have even been taking it monthly if the balance was being cleared on time every month?

She has decided to close the account and wants her PPI back, but the first attempt failed at the first hurdle.

We went down the road of advising them that she didn't need it as we were covered elsewhere and as she paid the full amount every month she didn't really notice it was being applied.

Any ideas on what she can do next?

Many thanks as always

Scrapper Coco :cool:

"I just want to make people silky-smooth!"

Scrapper vs MBNA Partial Settlement Success. Saved £13,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc PPI Reclaim Success £5,500 :lol:

Scrapper vs Barclaycard Partial Settlement Success. Saved £6,000 :lol:

Scrapper vs Tesco's FOS upheld complaint. Possible court action to get default removed

Scrapper vs Egg (Barclaycard) Awaiting FOS

Scrapper vs Barclays Bank Plc Offered made & Refused. This means war :-x

Scrapper vs Barclaycard (Cabot) Waiting 4 years for CCA. Cabot advised irresolvable :lol:

Scrapper vs Intelligent Finance. Success

Scrapper vs Picture (Webb Resolutions) Success

Beginner's guide

Advice & opinions given by Scrapper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

What are the steps you need to take for claiming back PPI?

Wife had an account with Debs and they reduced her credit limit from £8k to £100 pounds without any warning and told her to check her credit record. Well she did and her score is 900 plus so it's not that.

And she always paid the balance in full every month so god knows why.

She has had the account since 1991 so it should come to a tidy amount if we can somehow claim it back.

Should they have even been taking it monthly if the balance was being cleared on time every month?

She has decided to close the account and wants her PPI back, but the first attempt failed at the first hurdle.

We went down the road of advising them that she didn't need it as we were covered elsewhere and as she paid the full amount every month she didn't really notice it was being applied.

Any ideas on what she can do next?

Many thanks as always

ok, first of all what kind of account was it? loan, credit card???

Have you sent a SAR to the company? Do you have the PPI details?

Was the PPI balance related or a set amount every month?

Has the company given you a total of all the PPI your wife has paid since the open was opened? Do you have details of the amount of interest applied against the account?

Could you scan and post the response you received when you requested a refund?

Sorry for all of the question but the more info you give the more chance someone in the PPI forum can help :-D

cheers

Birch

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Birch

Thanks. I'll do a scan and post it in the next couple of hours.

Many thanks

Scrapper vs Tesco's FOS upheld complaint. Possible court action to get default removed

Scrapper vs Barclaycard (Cabot) Waiting 4 years for CCA. Cabot advised irresolvable :lol:

Beginner's guide

Advice & opinions given by Scrapper are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Spamalot / 42man

Thanks

Regards

Beginner's guide

If this is/was a credit/store card, I thought the card protection insurance was a percentage of the outstanding balance. If there was notbalance then I cant see how they could take PPI. Do you have any paperwork at all, have a look at a statement and see if there is anything on the back of one of them.

I see you have been advised to make a Subject Access Request, I would specifically ask for details of the insurance terms.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi citizenB

It was a store card. I thought the same that they should only be taking the premiums if there was a balance, but looking at the last statement they have added the PPI to the current balance, but the payment date was 3 weeks away and the balance was paid in full before the due date.

Balance has always been cleared every month without fail except on a couple of occassions due to us being away etc, but no more than 2 or 3 times in 18yrs, but I can clearly remember there was always PPI on there.

Hope that makes sense?

SAR me thinks so I can see exactly whats been going on.

Can't put the letter they sent online just yet as my scanner has decided to play silly buggers with me.

Many thanks

Beginner's guide

Hi scrapper, yes I would send a subject access request. Include a specific request for the PPI terms and conditions.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 5 months later...

Hi

Need some more advice regarding PPI.

I have a loan and have been claiming on the PPI. They made 12 payments as per the policy, but I have returned to work and have started paying the monthly payments again.

I have since looked at the paperwork and it is a single premium policy which they have added the PPI amount and then added interest on top of that.

My question is can I ask for the interst amount back even though I have made a claim and if I can would this affect the PPI that is still in place as I might need it again as where I am working isn't looking to good already as they are losing business at a rapid rate.

So much for the ecomony picking up

Thanks

Beginner's guide

Hi

Need some more advice regarding PPI.

I have a loan and have been claiming on the PPI. They made 12 payments as per the policy, but I have returned to work and have started paying the monthly payments again.

I have since looked at the paperwork and it is a single premium policy which they have added the PPI amount and then added interest on top of that.

My question is can I ask for the interst amount back even though I have made a claim and if I can would this affect the PPI that is still in place as I might need it again as where I am working isn't looking to good already as they are losing business at a rapid rate.

So much for the ecomony picking up

Thanks

Hmm, I am not sure what you are asking here.

What were your reasons for reclaimng the PPI ? If you have made a substantial claim on the policy then I dont see where you can claim it was mis sold ? Or then expect to be able to use the policy at a later date ?

BCOBS

Hi Citizen

Thanks for your response.

I'm not saying it was mis-sold as I have used it and it came in bloody handy when I lost my job. What I am saying is they have added interest to the PPI which was taken with the loan and I'm under the impression they can't do that from what a PPI claims company told me. Makes no difference if I've claimed or not, but just wanted to check as we all no what these companies are like.

The loan was £22K which the agreement shows the interest payable over 7yrs. Then they have added the PPI on top of the loan for £ 5452.18 which £1108.22 is interest added to the PPI.

I was under the impression that they are not allowed to charge interest on PPI if it is a single premium policy? I might be wrong, but my other policys for income protection and mortgage protection haven't charged me interest. And is it legal to charge interest on something you purchase to protect yourself?

Somewhat annoying that I pay them £5.5K for insurance and they have the cheek to add interest to it.

So what I am asking is am I allowed to request the they repay the interest on the PPI without it affecting the current PPI as I might require it again.

I hope that makes sense

Thanks

Scrapper Coco:cool:

Edited by Scrapper

Beginner's guide

Erm, I am really not sure about this. Will flag up your post for others to comment on.

BCOBS

Thanks CitizenB I appreciate it

Regards

Beginner's guide

I could be wrong but in my opinion sorry to say you do not have a case, it is allowed to charge you interest on the insurance but it is not allowed to charge you interest on a charge (example acceptance fee etc) .

You have made a claim against the PPI and by your own admission you say it was not missold so there is no claim, however if you feel they have calculated your APR or agreement incorrectly leaving it to be unenforceable this would be a seperate road alltogether. best thing is to post up your agreement so we can check the figures etc . . . . .as I stated at first only my opinion.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Sorry for the delayed response but I have been somewhat busy losing yet another Job.

24yrs employed, 1 yr unemployed, 4 months employed and company goes into liquidation. Just my bloody luck.

So what I need is advice on the following:

enforceable or unenforceable

PPI calculated correctly or not

PPI contract terms fair or not - No copy available as I was never sent them but have been told what they are over the phone. I find this somewhat unfair myself but all opinions welcome.

If two periods of unemployment are seperated by 3 months or less we will treat this as one continous claim but we will not pay for any time you were not unemployed between these periods. If two periods of unemployment are seperated by more than 3 months (4 in my case) you must return to work for 6 continuous months before you can make another unemployment claim.

I HAVE NEVER RECIEVED THE T&C's FOR THE LOAN PROTECTION AND BELIEVE ME I KNOW I HAVEN'T AS I KEEP EVERYTHING THAT'S GOING TO PROTECT MY AR*E. IF I HAD BEEN AWARE OF THIS TERM I WOULD HAVE CANCELLED THE INSURANCE AND TAKEN OUT A SEPERATE POLICY THAT COVERED ME AS MOST ONLY REQUIRE YOU TO BE IN WORK FOR 60 DAYS BEFORE YOU CAN MAKE A CLAIM WHEN I RETURNED TO WORK.

AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEAPER. :-(

Now I do understand what is being said here but how can this be fair? I am caught in the middle here as I returned to work for 4 months and now they won't pay and you can bet you bottom dollar they will hound me to the end of the earth and beyond.

Told them this and their answer? We will pass to a debt collector then. What the f*ck. I have been paying them for 4 years and never missed a bloody payment and they use some DODGY term to exclude making further payments then harrass me.

They have also stated that my loan with Alliance & Leicester has been transfered to the Abbey and it is now their responsibility. No one told me this had happened.

And another item. They charged me £6560.40 for insurance premiums yet they have only paid out £3500. So basically they have taken nearly £3k of my money and basically told me to do one.

Anyway any thoughts welcome.

I really hope someone comes back with it's unenforceable as I would love to stick it to them.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/1-1-1.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/2.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/3.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/4.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/5.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp284/djackson29/6.jpg

Many thanks

Edited by Scrapper

Beginner's guide

ok people

pick faults as ime shooting from the hip

DID YOU TICK THE BOX AGREEING TO PPI ETC

WHAT IS THE DATE ON THE AGREEMENT MONTH AND YEAR

THAT IS IMPORTANT

Hi postggj

Yes I agreed to PPI online when taking the loan.

The agreement runs from 03/05/06

Thanks

Beginner's guide

Got Ya

Ime Double Checking But I Believe The Regs Changed It 2005

The Ppi Must Have Its Own Part On The Agreement

And Your Signature To Agree

As This Was Online The Distant Selling Regs Now Come Into Play

Did They Send You The Agreement And

Did You Sign The Agreement And Return It

Without sending them a CCA request I couldn't tell you if I signed anything to be honest.

I pretty sure the regs changed in April 2007 but might be wrong.

If you look at image 2 it does have a PPI box, but I know I never received the terms and conditions with what they sent me as I file everything. As I stated if I had known I wouldn't be covered again I would have purchased seperate insurance and demanded a 3k refund even though the had made payments.

All the docs I posted is all I ever received.

Would have been better putting the money in the bank for a rainy day.

Thanks

Beginner's guide

Quick question about these distant selling regualtions.

So if a company quotes at you that you agreed to the terms and conditions online and TICKED the box so basically tough and never actually sent you anything in writing as per the DSR then they are basically buggered?

Or am I reading more into it then it actually means?

The thing that concerns me with that is, how the hell do you prove you never got them if that is the case?

You see I have worked in IT most of my life and believe me if I wan't something to look they way I want it to look and create an audit trail I can. I have been asked many times in my previous jobs to perform such functions. So what is to stop them doing the same to cover their behinds??????????? Easily done...............

Tell me to shut up if I'm talking rubbish

Thanks

Edited by Scrapper

Beginner's guide

3rd May 2006

Thanks

Beginner's guide