Help with data protection - car finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am hoping someone can help as I am very confused, as I think this is wrong.

I have a car on finance and wish to change it, the garage in question was very pushy, I informed him that my car has some outstanding finance on it, now this is where it gets interesting as he said he will have to find out how much the settlement figure is, he then left me and returned with all my details on a sheet of paper that had been faxed to him, stating my account number, settlement figure, last payment amount, I thought data protection stopped anyone accessing my private details without my permission or is this the norm!! I did not question this untill I went to another garage and was told in no uncertain terms that this was not normal practice, I know about HP1 but the details given (as I understand it) dont include account numbers and the exact amount owing on finance, just that there is outstanding finance.

Before I complain I need to get my facts right.

Sorry this so long, Jools

if the garage has a connection to the finance company you used originally all he would need is your account or reg number and your surname and he can get a settlement figure and how much you pay a month but that is about as much information he can get.he would also need to ask your permission

but you have told him you have outstanding finance and he said he would find out the settlement figure but at no point did you say no

A HPI would give account number and contact details for the finance company. A simple call will give a settlement figure for the vehicle none of this information violates your DPA rights as it relates to the free title of the vehicle. If he had persona information like DOB or address etc from the finance company then that would be different.