can i get my £25 back

callumsgran
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Full story..........

We purchased a car back in March from a private seller

He filled in the V5 and said he would send it off to DVLA and gave me the green slip which i took to the post office to tax the car 4 days later once the insurance certificate had come through, kept all receipts so ok so far.

Now we come to retax the car and i realise ive never been sent a new V5 in my name so i dont get a reminder from DVLA for the new tax

We go to our local DVLA office to get tax and they make us pay £25 for a duplicate V5 which we've never even had the original of :eek::confused::eek:

How can they justify this?

Has anyone been successful getting this unfair charge back?

They provided the service (of a duplicate V5C) so the fee is justified. You didn't say whether the DVLA had known you were the new RK - if not, then the previous keeper clearly didn;t post the form to them, so your 'beef' is with them.

Did you take the green slip with you, and tell them that you had it? An application for a new V5 accompanied with the green slip is free of charge. The DVLA local office only need to see it, they will not take it from you, but will mark your application form that they have seen it.

Unfortunately we've mislaid or lost the green slip within the last 2 weeks

Apparently at the moment the car is not registered with anyone

Shouldnt DVLA chase the last registered keeper?

Thanks all for your replies

If i ask them will they tell me who the last keeper was?

If no green slip, then I'm afraid there is a £25 fee. Following your application for a V5 DVLA will write to the current RK and inform them that a third party has applied for a V5. In their letter they will state that if the current RK has no objections to a new V5 being issued, they need do nothing, and no need to contact DVLA.

Cool, i'll wait for it to come back then write to them asking for my £25 back

I dont see why i should be out of pocket because of something somebody else didnt do

I've just found a receipt from the post office for the last tax disc which says DVLA/New details so it seems that the Post office releived me of the V5 so therefore they are responsible for it not reaching the dvla

Edited by callumsgran