Job Reference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5373 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Ive been offered a job with a company and they want 2 references (one being prev employer) which i presume they will check while im working there as i have been told to start on the 14th Sept.

I wanted to know if a disciplinary from my current job (i finish this job on the 4th sept) will come back as a negative reference. It was a written warning for sickness since then i have not a day off and that was 3 months ago.

Im quite worried as ive handed my notice in current job and i dont want the new company sacking me after they realise this.

What i would like to know is can one warning make a reference unsatisfactory?

The reference would come from HR. problem i have now is that i have handed my notice in as the company would like me to start soon. Should they find out about the sickness and they are not happy about it they could terminate my contract.

I had taken 7 days over 4 occasions and rec`d a written warning and since not taken a day off sick. The new employer have not asked me about my sickness record.

The discplinary was given 3 mths ago and would expire in december

Please let me know thoughts.

Edited by faz112

Yes, it probably will affect the reference.

It's difficult to know what to advise.

It might be an idea to go to the HR of your existing employer and ask them about it. try to build bridges.

Yes, it probably will affect the reference.

It's difficult to know what to advise.

It might be an idea to go to the HR of your existing employer and ask them about it. try to build bridges.

So this will be unsatisfactory and ill be left with no job?

I have a good job at the moment only reason im leaving is becasue of the hours and that the new job has slightly better money. My current employer have no issues with me and are always complimenting. BUT i do have a disciplinary from 3 mths ago when my sickness reached to 4 occasions and it triggered the process.

Do you think i will lose the new job i start of the 14 because i have a sickness disciplinary on my record

Hi Faz

9 times out of 10 when I receive answers to a references request or when I send replies to reference requests I just confirm the Job Title and dates of employment, thats it.

I am not saying that is what will happen with you, but many larger companies are just sending that information out.

I guess it depends on the industry you are in and whether a certain level of trust needs to be established i.e a care profession etc...

As BankFodder rightly points out you have nothing to lose by speaking to HR of your existing employer to find out their policy on referencing.

You must also remember that if your existing employer has accepted your resignation they do not have to let you stay if you change your mind.

Lottie x

It is an old wives' tale to say it is unlawful to give a bad reference (something I here a lot of people saying in RL).

I think this misconception comes about because often an HR department will only give a very 'bland' confirmation that an employer worked somewhere between given dates, due to fear of

providing a 'dodgy' reference.

Think about it. If I gave an actual 'bad' employee a glowing reference to a new company. Say that employee repeated their performance at the new company and lost them money. The new company could possibly sue me for misrepresentation (assuming they had the evidence to prove).

I'm certain that any reference they have to give must be 'balanced' and 'fair'.

So, while it may be true that you had some days off sick, if you were otherwise a good worker, then they should mention this.

I think maybe it might be worth having an honest chat with your new employer about your concerns.

Honesty and integrity goes a long way in my book....

ive spoke to HR they only give a factual reference . . start date, end date, job title , salary. They only advise of sick days if asked but do not mention any disciplinary warnings.

i woke for a large company and moving to another large company. So i guess it will just be kept formal and simple.

So it seems i will be fine .. I hope.