Amazon Free Delivery Not Free

slug56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

A relative of mine has just purchased a bicycle from Amazon.co.uk, under the impression it would have free delivery because of a banner shown on the cycling section of the website.

The banner states 'Free Delivery on all Bikes | Save up to 40% on selected adult bikes'

I cannot see any small print or terms and conditions relating to the offer, so I assume free delivery on all bikes means free delivery on ALL bikes sold on Amazon.co.uk

The bike in question, a Viking Vantage, is actually sold by 'Y Frame Discounts Ltd', and upon purchase, my grandfather was charged £16 for shipping.

Obviously the free delivery does not apply to ALL bikes. Does he have a leg to stand on?

Free delivery only applies to goods sold by Amazon themselves, not companies trading through Amazon.

If you could post a link, I could confirm this, but with the little info you have given, that will be my best bet, which is basically no, he doesn't have a leg to stand on (good thing he got the bike then, lol) as he wouldn't have purchased from Amazon themselves. ;-)

Free delivery only applies to goods sold by Amazon themselves, not companies trading through Amazon.

If you could post a link, I could confirm this, but with the little info you have given, that will be my best bet, which is basically no, he doesn't have a leg to stand on (good thing he got the bike then, lol) as he wouldn't have purchased from Amazon themselves. ;-)

A link to the banner is in my first post, on the words 'cycling section'. A link to the bike on the text 'Viking Vantage'.

I can't find anywhere that says the promotion only applies to goods sold by Amazon themselves.

Thanks

In fact, I have just had a quick look and Viking Vantage 22" Gents Alloy Trekking Bike: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

is the one which would qualify for free shipping. I can see on the right hand side the one sold by Y-frames and it clearly shows the price + shipping of £16.

No dice, I'm afraid.

From the link you post:

Y Frame Discounts Ltd

£177.29 + £16.00 shipping

In stock

Add to Cart

Meme Sourcing

£185.50 + £16.00 shipping

In stock

So, the shipping was mentioned. Your grandfather must have approved a checkout total including the price too. But, the headline price for your link with Free Shipping is £194.99, so your grandfather did get the bicycle for the same price as if he'd gone for the free shipping option.

I do agree that saying "free shipping on all bikes" on Amazon when not all products on the site are sold by them is misleading.

Ahh, I see. But look at this.

When you click on the 'free delivery' banner, you are re-directed to a page full of bikes. As you pointed out, the Viking Vantage does show on the list. How deceptive is this? It is shown in the list as £177.25, but when you click on the bike, it changes to the seller with the price tag of £194.99 with free delivery on that. If they're going to offer free delivery on this company, why not on the cheaper one?

bikeamazon.png

Since the charges are stated, the arrangement IS correct. Where it can sometaims fall down is when buying from Amazon themselves you have to TICK the FREE SuperSaver delivery box, if you do not, it is charged - because it is free, the claim is justified. Customer error is regrettable, but in your case, he had to agree to the cost and shipping amount before placing the order with the Amazon Merchant. As he did - the charge remains valid with no room to complain.