Law re: no MOT / Tax while driving to garage then to MOT test?

Zombe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SO TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU CHECK FOR PLAY IN THE STEERING AT FULL LOCK when a car has worm and peg steering?

CMON TELL ME.

Well in my experienence it usually cause the car to go around in circles!!

In relation to an mot test then they will be looking for excessive play in track rod ends and any transfer gear associated with the system. In the straight ahead position they will look at the free play in the box and or rack as measured at the rim of the steering wheel.

Anything else you'd like to know??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Sam - tomorrow we will be telling you all how to make a pasty. :D

Awwwwwwwww come on Conniff, the pasty shop on Leeds station will be telling us that. Afterall it's one of our Prime Ministers favourite shops!!

• 3 years later...
Whilst I agree that getting the car serviced is going too far, there is case law that allows the motorist to stop off along the journey to/from the MoT appointment.

The case precedent is Secretary of State for Transport V. Richards ( 1998 ) JP 682. Richards stopped off twice on the way to an MOT test, first to buy petrol and then stopping again to buy cigarettes, and was convicted by magistrates, the judgment was appealed before the Crown Court and was overturned. The prosecution then appealed to the QBD and the Crown Court verdict was upheld.

The Court accepted the submission that it is a question of fact and degree in each case for the court to determine whether the exemption is satisfied. But the court said, "it is only if this court is satisfied that no court could reasonably have come to the conclusion that it did that it can interfere. On the facts of this case, it is ridiculous if a driver could not stop to obtain petrol on the way. it would fly in the face of common sense if some short stop cannot be made by the driver, for whatever purpose, providing he is on his way to the test station."

Sorry, absolutely wrong

To/from a pre-booked MoT Test and during the test, and to/from repair premises after failing an MoT test, the vehicle is an exempt vehicle under VERA 1994 Sched.2 and requires neither road tax or number plates.

All that is required is that the driver is insured to drive the car and that it is roadworthy.

Perfect!! You are a genius!! Thank you