partial offer after file claimed

rivendale0506
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having successfully retrieved my charges from the Halifax I am now attempting to do the same for my sister from MBNA.

I filed with moneyclaim on 20 July for £1030 and on 24 July she received a letter from MBNA saying how the charges were not unlawful blah blah blah but mentioning that in line with the OFT's guideline they were reducing their charges to £12 with effect from 12 June and were therefore prepared to pay her the difference between her claim and the £12 per item fee which results in a partial refund for her of £490.

Has anyone else had this stance taken with them? I am not going to accept it but not sure how to word it as they say they have credited her account with it and the court papers will obviously reflect the whole £1030. Should she just write back and say take the £490 back out of the account?

Any advice very welcome. Many thanks

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

Many thanks Surreyscouse. I won't write back then. Have had the acknowledgement from the court so far but nothing else.

Thanks again.

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

29th July. They have until the 12th August to file their defence. The offer letter crossed in the post with the moneyclaim filing.

thanks surreyscouse!

FWIW

Is it worth checking that they dont write to the court telling the case is settled?

If they have made an offer of partial settlement and you dont say thanks but im not satisfied, then they may well tell the court its settled since they wont know any diffrence will they?

Im pretty certain that other banks have this approach.

It would seem worthwhile to drop them a note and say thanks for the payment but it is not sufficnet for a full and final settlement and therefore you will be proceeding with your claim at court.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I don't think the court can take the word of the defendant as to whether a case has been settled before hearing.The person making the claim has to inform the court of an "out of court" settlement.

I think you are right, although it may look strange if they enter a defence of 'we have reached a settlement your lord and the claimant has banked/spent the money so it is fair to presume that he accepted the terms we offered'.

I dont doubt that in truth you are right it just doesnt show that you are acting in good faith to the court if you dont act in a clear and transparent way, accepting the money without clarifying the whys and wherefores to the defendant is not acting in good faith.

i guess if the boot was on the other foot we would want them to confrim if they had accepted our offer rather than leave it hanging.

Of course each to their own but should it come to court, i guess we want to appear as virginal as possible when were sticking it to the banks.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

You have a duty to mitigate your losses - to take part of the money should not be seen as a bad thing by the court.

You have accepted an installment - that is all.

It might be worth a letter to the bank letting them know that you are accepting their installment, but will continue with the legal action for recovery of the rest.

The OFT did not say that £12 was fair - simply that it was the threshold at which they would intervene. The specifically stated that they did not expect banks or cc companies to make the default charge 12 quid - and that a charge of less than 12 quid could still be a penalty - and that a judge would certainly not see £12 as a fair charge just because of the OFT ruling.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

You have a duty to mitigate your losses - to take part of the money should not be seen as a bad thing by the court.

You have accepted an installment - that is all.

I agree, isnt mitigation where you do not incur or do anything to increase or incur further charges in relation to the claim?

Dont you have a duty to be transparent in your dealings and act in good faith and as far as is reasonable to stop the claim ending up in court or wasting court time?

Ignoring their offer and taking their money is not acting in good faith.

I am curious to know why the strategy should be different when receiving offers from one bank to another? Is there any signficnat reason?

As far as i can make out most people who are receiving partial offers on the abbey forum are accepting the money but confirming their intent to proceed to recover the rest.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

As far as i can make out most people who are receiving partial offers on the abbey forum are accepting the money but confirming their intent to proceed to recover the rest.

It might be worth a letter to the bank letting them know that you are accepting their installment, but will continue with the legal action for recovery of the rest.

Exactly.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Dave

sorry bit of a lag my end between reading your post and actually typing and sending mine.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA