Blue light question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few years ago, at an autojumble, i bought a blue rotating beacon, much like the older type seen on emergency vehicles, it was cheap. Its stored safely in the loft at the min. Discussing it with friends, if it was used, while driving, what, if any, offence would it be? I dont have any intention of using it, just curious really.

I am under the impression that only emergency services can use them, which makes sense. Although a lot of youngsters nowadays have blue light underneath their cars etc and i cant say they ever get in trouble.

Would check first though with local bobby.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal Experiences/Mistakes lol...

To emit light other than white headlights/sidelight from front, or white reversing, amber indicators and red rear/brake-lights/fog-lights is an offence under the construction and use act the only exception are BLUE for EMERGENCY SERVICE VECHILES, which includes Coastguard, Mountain Rescue etc, and Blood Transfusion (some volunteer’s for BTS were give Home office permission to use 2 and blues whilst carrying emergency blood) GREEN MEDICAL SERVICES,

Amber is allowed as in rotating for Breakdown Trucks Wide dangerous loads etc, anything that can be perceived as a hazard to other road users, and there are regulations to the use of Amber rotating lights but not really enforced, Amber is also used for any vehicle that is allowed on the Runways of an airfield ( legal requirement )

The under lights, blue led’s etc are an offence, except on private property EG, shows etc, so if stopped by Mr Plod don’t Pee him off or he can do you for them.

Just why on earth, unless you are employed and working n the emergency services, would anyone want to put one of those things on their car? (I know OP said he would not use it so not aimed at OP).

Do people think it makes them look important? Reminds me of those people with a bluetooth earpiece permanently stuck to their lugholes, or worse, people who use the curly wired earpieces a la security services. Looks completely stupid.

Just why on earth, unless you are employed and working n the emergency services, would anyone want to put one of those things on their car? (I know OP said he would not use it so not aimed at OP).

Do people think it makes them look important? Reminds me of those people with a bluetooth earpiece permanently stuck to their lugholes, or worse, people who use the curly wired earpieces a la security services. Looks completely stupid.

Doesn't Dr Who have a blue light on the top of the Tardis?

:lol:

Mossy

To emit light other than white headlights/sidelight from front,

Headlights and front foglights can be yellow

amber indicators

Indicators can be amber or white at the front and amber or red at the rear
BLUE for EMERGENCY SERVICE VECHILES,
Actually vehicle being used for these purposes - which is not quite the same thing.

The under lights, blue led’s etc are an offence, except on private property EG, shows etc, so if stopped by Mr Plod don’t Pee him off or he can do you for them.
Fixed lights like the ones on w/screen washers are extremely chavvy, but not illegal. This is because they are classed as optional lights but are not specifically defined in r.20 of the VLR - so there is no limitation on them like there is on other optional lights

The regulations concerned are no longer an amalgam of C&U statutes but a targeted set of regs - The Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

optional position lights to be precise and if on the front of the vehicle and used at night plod will do you for it ( by way of a vehicle rectification notice or just a warning to remove them ) if legal or not, also mot station will not pass them unless they are switchable.

• 4 months later...

There is a law with flashing or spinning blue lights which I shall find for you, this says that it is illegal to have them unless you are an emergency vehicle. However there is a loop hole in this law hence why boy races have blue lights that do not flash or rotate. It doesn't mention in the law that standalone blue lights that has no mechanism in it is not legal.