'Let go from work' Sure some rules have been broken?! *Help*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

On May the 18th i was sitting at my desk at work, thinking all was well, when my manager tapped me on the shoulder and said 'can i borrow you for a minute'

We went downstairs and sat down, she said, to quote - 'i feel you have lost heart in our company and i am going to be letting you go today, we'll pay you 4 weeks notice'. Confused and shocked i just said that is a load of BS, went upstairs packed up and left. :-x

I had been there just short of a year, but my paid notice technically takes me over the year mark.

I had no warnings, no indication that this was coming. Gross misconduct was not mentioned anywhere.

Should i be receiving anything in writing from the company? I asked for a letter stating the date and reason for my 'dismissal' and received a half drunk voicemail from my ex manager asking me why i wanted it at 8:10pm Saturday night!!

if anyone could let me know my rights and what i can do... unfair dismissal?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi and Welcome

I'm not very much up on employment problems but it does sound to me to be unfair.

You need to get it in writing why they dismissed you in such a way.

If it was me I'd be going down that route especially if you know there is no reason at all for them to have done this.

Hae you had a look at the lawpack, if not click on the link shown on your thread.

CAB is helpful on employment rights and I'm sure you will get help on here there are a few Caggers who know about employment but you may not get any response till later especially if they are working.

DG:)

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Hi all.

On May the 18th i was sitting at my desk at work, thinking all was well, when my manager tapped me on the shoulder and said 'can i borrow you for a minute'

We went downstairs and sat down, she said, to quote - 'i feel you have lost heart in our company and i am going to be letting you go today, we'll pay you 4 weeks notice'. Confused and shocked i just said that is a load of BS, went upstairs packed up and left. :-x

I had been there just short of a year, but my paid notice technically takes me over the year mark.

I had no warnings, no indication that this was coming. Gross misconduct was not mentioned anywhere.

Should i be receiving anything in writing from the company? I asked for a letter stating the date and reason for my 'dismissal' and received a half drunk voicemail from my ex manager asking me why i wanted it at 8:10pm Saturday night!!

if anyone could let me know my rights and what i can do... unfair dismissal?

Thank you in advance :)

as you have not completed 12 months continuous service you will not be able to take tribunal action for unfair dismissal, as i do not believe your paid notice counts as part of your service.

before completing 12 months service, you employer is legally allowed to dismiss you without reason with no notice, unless you have provision made in your contrct or t&cs of employent.

the only real thing you could get them on is if your final wage is not correct, so it would be classed as illegal deduction from wages.

i know this isnt what you were looking for, but unfortuneatley thats how it is.

as you have not completed 12 months continuous service you will not be able to take tribunal action for unfair dismissal, as i do not believe your paid notice counts as part of your service.

before completing 12 months service, you employer is legally allowed to dismiss you without reason with no notice, unless you have provision made in your contrct or t&cs of employent.

the only real thing you could get them on is if your final wage is not correct, so it would be classed as illegal deduction from wages.

i know this isnt what you were looking for, but unfortuneatley thats how it is.

Hi, thankyou - this is exactly what i was looking for.

They did deduct £150 from me for a charity walk i did (For the donations) which were already made on Just giving. They are sending me a cheque.

End date of employment will be extended by statutory but not contractual notice period.

Thus if time at the company + 1 week = over one year you could bring a claim for unfair dismissal.

What was the start and end date?

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Fraid not John

Unless you link the dismissal to an exemption e.g. discrim or enforcement of a statutory right, then you're out of luck for a UD claim

Sorry

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]