dad bought camper, really tucked up - advice please

maccyniggle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5445 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

my dad has been tucked up I think.

He bought a rascal camper van (a little one) it was a PRIVATE SALE, from some little old lady who looked like butter wouldn't melt.

Anyway, she said and this is almost verbatim "this engine was a new engine build in 2007, and the car has only done about 400 miles since"

So, he handed over his cash and started driving around in his new toy, unfortunately he has been having problems

Got a mechanic in, who diagnosed the head gasket was gone, as well as the thermostat.

He has fitted a new head gasket, but now there is STILL water getting into the engine, so reckons the block has gone.

Also, he said looking at the radiator and other parts there was no way that this was a new engine in 2007.

Now I know this was a private sale, and I know my dad shouldn't have had his "rose tinted specs" on, but is there really anything he can do against what was a blatant lie?

thanks in advance, have been reading here for ages, but this is my first post.

You should certainly make representations the seller about the fault and ask for your money back or contribution to the cost! your rights are limited as it is uo to the buyer to check and check again.

However if you have been mislead and the vehicle misrepresented, preferably in the add or in writing then you are entitled to your money back, and may have to take them to court. First course of action though is to contact the seller.

The Sale of Goods Act does not apply in private sales, but your Dad does have protection from misrepresentation. If the seller told him the van had an engine rebuild in 2007 and this was untrue then that is a false statement of fact which has induced the contract.

More info on misrepresentation can be found here:

Misrepresentation

• 3 weeks later...